A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy poncho pattern?  (Read 1423 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

foxglove
« on: November 19, 2004 11:23:54 PM »

I've done several projects and I'm pretty good at flat knitting. There's terrible selection of circulars here, and to be honest, I just prefer flat knitting. Tongue

So, does anyone know of an easy flat poncho pattern? I was thinking of just designing one myself but I'd rather have a pattern to follow. I like medium-size ones, but the most important part is that they do NOT tie in the front -- preferably be knit all at once or tied at the side. Sorry for being so demanding.  Undecided Thanks so much to anyone who can find a pattern for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004 12:19:38 AM »

you can make two types of ponchos out of flat knitting that is basically a wide scarf: (pardon the craptastic paint drawings!)

This one is the easiest...just a wide knitted piece folded in half and sewn.

A little more involved than the first, but still really easy Wink (both A and B should be the same size)
hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foxglove
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004 02:10:30 AM »

Thanks for the drawings -- it took me a second but it makes a lot of sense Smiley I'll try it out soon once I go yarn shopping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004 07:55:03 AM »

A while back I posted a thread on an easy childrens' poncho I made.  It is knit as in the second example kadreath posted.  You said you didn't want seams in front, though, right?  Most ponchos knit that way are worn with the points down in front and back, putting the seams directly in front and back.  However, it doesn't have to be that way.

Here's a pic of the poncho that inspired my toddler-sized creation.  I love old Brunswick Yarn patterns.  This one is from 1968.  This particular pattern calls for 100% wool sport yarn and a yard of matching wool woven fabric.  (Brunswick was SOO cool, they made 100% wool plaids, tweeds and solids in dye lots that matched their yarns!  The dress in the picture is also made out of a matching fabric, and the knitting pattern book gives Simplicity pattern numbers for all the woven-fabric clothes they model with their knitted garments.  It is too cool.) 

The pattern gives instructions for knitting up two rectangles in 14" x 28" in the sport yarn, and then backing it with the plaid fabric, so this poncho would have been quite warm and reversible, and then also instructions for the fringe.  The important aspect, I think, is the size of the rectangles.  As long as you swatch first, you can use any yarn you want, and just knit up two 14" x 28" rectangles.  The other important aspect is you can see how this very simple and typical pattern can be worn in a very dramatic way, and the seams are on your arms rather than on your chest.  Granted, there isn't really a way to get the seams off the front completely, due to the way it's sewn together, but the are at your sides, anyway.

Here's the thread for the one I made.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=14664.0

You can see what it looks like with the seams in front.  I used my seam to advantage by knitting a stripe of contrasting color along one of the long sides.  Gives it a bit of a racing stripe effect.  If you can't conceal the seams, why not use them as a design element?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004 07:57:44 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004 09:26:28 AM »

Thanks for the drawings -- it took me a second but it makes a lot of sense Smiley I'll try it out soon once I go yarn shopping.

i wanna see pics when you finish Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foxglove
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004 04:45:54 PM »

You said you didn't want seams in front, though, right?  Most ponchos knit that way are worn with the points down in front and back, putting the seams directly in front and back.  However, it doesn't have to be that way.

Ach, I should have been more clear -- what I really despise is those ponchos that have some gaudy tie, like a ribbon, on the front. (Although that would be more of a capelet, wouldn't it? I'm dumb.) I like the pointed front but the tied-at-the-side is my preferred style.

The poncho you knit is adorable! The Brunswick one looks good, too. Thanks a lot for posting those instructions. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Diagonal Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Twisted Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make Birthday Favor Packets
How to Make Halloween Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...