A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cute No-Slip Headband w/ribbon laced through! now w/pattern!  (Read 1725 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mimsyknits
Doot Doot Dooo

Carry on, my wayward son...

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2007 12:07:55 AM »

Well I made a pretty headband here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=176780.0 and floatingmoon commented that circular headbands like that tend to slip off her head, and i replied that i have the same problem much of the time. so i decided to make a headband that slips onto those wire-ish ones that hug your head. lemme know what you think!

should i put up the pattern? let me know if you want it. i designed it so that you can make several of these and just slip them on and off the same wire headband. it's just a thin strip of stockinette wiith occasional eyelets for the ribbon. On the back, I put another eyelet towards the bottom of one of the sides to slip the wire headband out. i'll put up a tute if anyone requests. i'd also love suggestions to improve it or ideas for more. thanks!

EDIT: Okay, here's the instructions, i didn't feel like making another and taking photos, so i made a crappy MS Paint thingy.

US 2, Caron Simply Soft, A Wire Headband, Ribbon
FRONT
CO 5
Work Stockinette until about 2" long.
Eyelet Row: K2, yo, K2tog, K1
Continue in stockinette, using the eyelet row every 8th row, until you have 5 eyelets.
Continue in stockinette for 3 1/2".
Eyelet row, then stockinette for 8 rows, same as before, until you have 5 eyelets on that side, then use stockinette for 2 more inches, BO. You should have something similar to image A.

BACK
CO 5
Work stockinette for about an inch, then do an eyelet row. Continue in stockinette until it is the same length as the front piece. Image B.

Cut 2 pieces of ribbon, each about the length of the front piece. Starting from the first eyelet on the backside of the FRONT piece, sew a stitch or two to secure the ribbon. Then start weaving the ribbon in and out of the eyelets, it should end up on top where you made 3 1/2" stockinette. Do the same for the other ribbon on the other half. It's up to you whether to go ahead and tie it into a bow now, I waited until it was on the wire headband. Image C.

Lay the Front and Back pieces against each other, WS together. If you wish, you can sew them with RS together, but it doesn't really matter. Hand-stitch along the sides. Slide the wire headband into the one eyelet you made on the BACK piece, stretching it to put it into the end of it. Voila! If you didn't tuck in the ends as you sewed them together, you can weave them in now.

And that's that. You can knit up a bunch of these in different colors and styles and just use the same wire headband inside! Tell me what y'all think, or let me know if my instructions are unclear. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007 12:45:54 AM by mimsyknits » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Son won't you play me a memory?
I'm not really sure how it goes.
But it's sad and it's sweet
and I knew it complete
When I wore a younger man's clothes.
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007 12:23:35 AM »

So cute! Love the ribbon.

Please post the pattern. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
mystarstyle11
Undescribable

It's an obsession....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007 01:07:05 AM »

Great headband! I made my first (fairly crappy but functional) headband yesterday out of a tie my dad let me cut up (which is totally cool because I could basically have all of his ties-since he doesn't need them for work-and has literally 15 ties I could cut up. WOO YEAH!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swaps: OPEN
My Wists
My Blog
lady_cyanide
too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007 03:53:14 AM »

i dig this one kid!

coachella wracked my nerves too much so i started moonlight sonata again and then i started making another damn seed hat!

it's like 6 a.m. and i can't sleep, keep thinking about that bastard husband of mine, and what sort of tricks are up his sleeve. gah dee dahn!

i think i'm coming over today.
weeeeeee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
floatingmoon
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007 06:01:20 AM »

Great headband! I made my first (fairly crappy but functional) headband yesterday out of a tie my dad let me cut up (which is totally cool because I could basically have all of his ties-since he doesn't need them for work-and has literally 15 ties I could cut up. WOO YEAH!)

LOL, I like your reply.

Have you think about recycling his ties to make some father's day gift for him? (just an idea)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
mystarstyle11
Undescribable

It's an obsession....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007 11:29:33 AM »

LOL, I like your reply.

Have you think about recycling his ties to make some father's day gift for him? (just an idea)

That's a great idea! I just don't know what I could make for him out of ties. Everytime I ask him what he wants for Father's Day he says, "World peace and love." x)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swaps: OPEN
My Wists
My Blog
Chelle32
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007 01:09:30 PM »

I totally love this idea.  I think I might have to give it a try.  thanks for the pattern. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimsyknits
Doot Doot Dooo

Carry on, my wayward son...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007 03:14:26 PM »

Thanks! Glad to hear someone actually likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Son won't you play me a memory?
I'm not really sure how it goes.
But it's sad and it's sweet
and I knew it complete
When I wore a younger man's clothes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 8/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 9/28
How to Crochet a Soap Holder
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 4/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 3/28
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...