A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gwennabe = gorgeous yet confusing... help?  (Read 582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Just_A_Girl
[Insert witty title here]

Straight to this very day it was the wrong way

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 15, 2007 09:01:06 PM »

I am confuse-ed. Gwennabe top? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Questions concerning this gorgeous, yet confusing (for me) top..found here >http://knittingfog.blogspot.com/2006/08/gwennabe.html

1) Im to the point where I begin knitting across 29 stitches, then psso, ect. Ive done it once, I tried to do it the second time, and it seemed my amount of stitches shrunk. I spent a good 45 min, undoing the round, and trying again. Grr... to no avail. Same thing.
Ive gathered that I should have 108 stitches to begin with, and then I knit the 29 stitches, psso, ect and the next round still doesnt work out. So frustrating.

2) The short row part, I understand the technique of short rows.. and HOW to do them, but Im not sure WHERE to put them. In the middle? To the side? How many short rows should I add for my D boobs. I've looked through all of Craftsters discussion boards on the topic, Ive read Knitty's article, and Im still slightly confused  Undecided

Anyhow, I apologize for my long spiel, any help would be great. And to anyone else knitting Gwennabe Good luck!
-Marie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blame it on the bunny....

[Future home of a someday blog URL]
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007 06:58:24 AM »

just checking, but did you do the rib the rib and stock the stock in between?

1) Be aware that the full instructions on round 2 are
"rib the rib [..] after the first marker, knit 1, increase 1 stitch [..] and then knit 29 sts, PSSO [...]knit 20, increase into the next 2 stitches, knit 20, PSSO, knit 29, increase 1, knit 1."

You should be increasing by 2 stitches every time, so the k 29s will go up every other round.

Her side commentaries make it hard to read. :-/

2) Have you seen http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/05/get_this_party_started.html? (scroll down, she has good pics of how short rows would work for cups. Smiley  You can search her site in the upper right hand corner.  She probably has more instructions elsewhere).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007 07:00:27 AM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007 08:49:24 AM »

just checking, but did you do the rib the rib and stock the stock in between?

1) Be aware that the full instructions on round 2 are
"rib the rib [..] after the first marker, knit 1, increase 1 stitch [..] and then knit 29 sts, PSSO [...]knit 20, increase into the next 2 stitches, knit 20, PSSO, knit 29, increase 1, knit 1."

You should be increasing by 2 stitches every time, so the k 29s will go up every other round.

Her side commentaries make it hard to read. :-/

Hey there...I can't help you on the short rows -- they remain a mystery to me too.  The stitch count actually shouldn't change.  The pattern-writer uses some non-standard abbreviations.  Her PSSO decreases the stitch count by 2 each time, and you do it twice so that's minus four stitches.  Then there's an increase at each edge and 2 increases in the middle, which is plus four stitches.  I'd suggest reading the instructions for her PSSO more carefully, then casting on 20 stitches on waste yarn and trying the following: K1, increase into next stitch, K2, PSSO her way, K2, increase into next 2 stitches, K2, PSSO her way, K2, increase into next stitch, K1.  (That eliminates all of the stock the stock, rib the rib...which hopefully isn't changing your stitch count.)  You should have 20 stitches when you finish the row as well.  Hope that helps!  (And if you don't have 20, maybe post again with how many you ended up with and any specific parts that were tricky...?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007 03:08:04 PM »

I see now. 

So there should be 4 inc and 4 dec in there. Smiley

You have a right to be confused, Just_A_Girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just_A_Girl
[Insert witty title here]

Straight to this very day it was the wrong way

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007 08:26:48 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the replies, Im pushing along through it; I have tried it all, but the last bit of the stocking row, where I knit 29, is NEVER 29, its one or two stitches shorter, but meh, when all else fails, persevere  Roll Eyes  It should be ok. I'll post as soon as Im done - or when I run into more trouble  Grin
Thanks again!
-Marie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blame it on the bunny....

[Future home of a someday blog URL]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Green Slime
How to Make Orange Slime
How to Make Yellow Slime
How to Make Red Slime
How to Make Pink Slime
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...