A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Tomato Hat - How can I make it into an orange?!  (Read 1728 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shinykatie

Professional dork

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2007 08:47:08 AM »

I don't have a pic to hand, but I've made a couple of tomato hats recently for babies, which have proved very popular with the parents. Now one of the babies has outgrown hers, and the father wants a new one, but this time he wants an orange.

Obviously, there's no difficulty in finding some orange wool! But I just wondered if anyone had any clever ideas for how I could make the stalk and leaves look more... orangey? If I do them as per the pattern (you can see one that's similar on Yarn Tomato's blog http://www.yarntomato.com/blog/2006/03/crocheted-tomato-hat.html) it will just look like an orange tomato.

Anyone got any suggestions? If I do it with just one leaf it might look a bit ridiculous: http://viewfromaloft.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/orange.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dork Adore http://www.dorkadore.com | Lovely things for geeks: Crafts, Geekery, Gadgets, Homewares, Kids' stuff, TV, Film

* My craft blog: http://katielee.co.uk
www.twitter.com/shinykatie
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007 10:42:34 AM »

This is how I usually draw my oranges. I'm envisioning a regular orange hat. Then chain a couple with green for the stem and make two leaves one down each side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007 10:43:36 AM »

Personally, I dont think it would look too bad if you made the stem very similar only make the leaves smaller because an orange has a similar stem but it's very small and the stem itself sticks out more than the little leaves. the leaves are like tiny. And if i were you I would put a leaf at the top of the stem like the giant orange picture. Hope that helps some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
tangledfingers
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007 10:59:31 AM »

You could put more of a "+" sign on the top and a stem, with smaller leaves. Dont oranges have the little cross at the top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infinite Annie
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007 01:02:50 PM »

Yeah, oranges have a very small, relative to their size, lime green multi-pointed star-thing,, on the top, that the stem comes out of.  Just a wee smaller than the green thing on the tomato pic link, and definitely lighter colored.  Plus, it shouldn't curl up like the tomato green-thingy does.  If you get a leaf when picked,  it's usually only one,  it's darker than the star-thingy, the edges are smooth and it dangles 1/3 to 1/2 the way down the side of the orange

And the stems are usually broken from the tree a 1/4" from the orange.  A long stem might make it look like a tangerine, or an orange-colored cherry.

Maybe a little embroidered felt "sunkist" label would help, too.

Oh, and I think it would look more like an orange without a rolled brim.  That looks cute on the tomato.  Looks like it dropped and squished, but an orange wouldn't squish like that and it would work against the hats attempt to impersonate an orange.   Cheesy

Sorry if that's over kill on info.  I had no idea I had such an intimite knowledge of oranges or that it was something I was just dying to share with the first person that asked Cheesy  I wish I just had a pattern to give you!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007 01:30:36 PM by Infinite Annie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkyrican
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007 11:34:35 AM »

maybe you could use a different stitch to give it a more bumpy texture
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shinykatie

Professional dork

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007 07:17:34 AM »

God, thanks to everyone who replied to this! You're lovely. I posted it up and then totally forgot about it! I *still* haven't made the orange hat, so I will have to pull my sock up and get going or she'll be old enough to make her own soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dork Adore http://www.dorkadore.com | Lovely things for geeks: Crafts, Geekery, Gadgets, Homewares, Kids' stuff, TV, Film

* My craft blog: http://katielee.co.uk
www.twitter.com/shinykatie
epsilon
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007 11:55:05 AM »

i wanted to suggest to use boucle or something like that, that might look orange-y Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
outofthequestion
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007 07:41:41 PM »

I know this is sort of an old post, but that tomato hat is so cute! Is there a pattern somewhere?? I'd love to make one for my baby girl. I always see knit patterns, but I don't knit, so that doesn't help me any LOL... Soooo Cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007 12:46:20 PM »

I don't see oranges with leaves. Ever.  So adding a leaf to it would make it look like a pumpkin (to me).  Maybe a brown stem from time to time... Can you make it ripple at the top towards where the stem/leaf usually are and then have it dimple at the top?  I dunno. I'm probably not the best to reply to this  Cheesy  Sorry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Import files into your Scene - 3ds Max
Basic Camtasia Studio Tutorial
Basic Adobe After Effects CS4 Tutorial
How to UVW Map and Texture - 3ds Max Part 1/2
How to Play Video In Reverse - Sony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...