A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hubbard Squash - A YELLOW ALERT  (Read 719 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitty Urbane
« on: November 19, 2004 02:36:39 PM »

Ummm it's these hubbard squashes, see. I have about 5 of them in my garden, and they're each about the size of a big turkey. Now, I've heard that these hubbards have some of the sweetest flesh and taste even better than pumpkin in pies, however having cooked squash before, I know they can be a real tough mother: impossible to peel and impossible to cut. How do I deal with squash of this girth?!

These are the solutions I've come up with so far:
1) Hacksaw
2) Sledge hammer and splitter
3) Drop it off the roof onto the side walk

These solutions seem awfully extreme, don't you think? Does anyone have a more rational way?

Thank you for your Christian charity,

Kitty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sheila
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004 06:25:12 AM »

stabby stab stab stabby stab. My mom had one like that and they're a major pain, get a big ol' knife and stab that mother. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004 06:57:09 AM »

You can put a big, sturdy cleaver in it and whack the cleaver with a rubber mallet (surely you have a rubber mallet?).  I think I saw this technique on "Good Eats."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
sabrinabobina
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004 09:55:23 AM »

my squash- a- macation is less then satisfactory and i am not sure what kind of squash you have,but we have been cooking a lot of squash lately from the garden(ours is the yellow squashy kind)hehee.anyways they are huge mofo's.We have been tackling them by get someone stronger than I to slice them in half. we bake them ,upside down,a quarter at a time.you can keep it ,unbaked for at least a week,and baked,in the fridge for about 5,6 days.dont know if that helped at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitty Urbane
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004 10:57:58 AM »

You can put a big, sturdy cleaver in it and whack the cleaver with a rubber mallet (surely you have a rubber mallet?). I think I saw this technique on "Good Eats."

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the cleaver + rubber mallet technique. Of course I have neither, but I love squash so... it will be a worthy investment. But just so I can justify it... what other kinds of things can you do with a cleaver and a rubber mallet?

Also, I've left the squash out in the garden since they ripened in September. Is this okay storage? I was thinking they're the type of thing you can keep for a while, and I figure it's nice and chilly out there. I'm not sure I could fit even one onto a refrigerator shelf.  What do you think?

Best regards,

Kitty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maripaz
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004 01:14:44 PM »

You might want to consider moving your squash inside, depending on where you live.  I recently read somewhere that you're supposed to keep them at between 50 and 60 degrees farenheit, which is a bit warmer than your refrigerator.  Ideally you could keep them in an unheated garage or basement for several months.  Apparently letting them freeze (which they will do outside if it's cold enough) is not a good idea as it messes up the texture a bit.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004 01:23:51 PM »

WTF is a hubbard squash?Huh  Please post a pic if you can......I am dying to see one!

WTF = What the fudge  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Low Side Chignon Wedding Hairstyle
How to Use a Flat Iron For Perfectly Straight Hair
Celebrity Inspired Wedding Hairstyles
7 Hairstyle Toppers For Your Wedding
6 Sizzling Wedding Hair Accessories
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...