A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gauge help pls, I am clueless LOL  (Read 391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixelpusher
« on: June 14, 2007 10:01:04 AM »

OK so gauge hasn't been a big issue for me in the past, because I have always done hats, scarves, felted stuff, etc.  Well, I am going to make a sweater for my dd, and I am having trouble with gauge.  I bought a ginormous spool of really awesome mega bright pink yarn that is supposed to be the correct weight, but I don't seem to get the right stitches per inch when I swatch.  I am doing the accordian sweater from knitty in the toddler girls size- so the gauge is supposed to be 20st and 32 rows = 4x4.  Welllllll... on sz 6 needles, I get less than 4" out of 20st, more like 3.5.  On sz 7, I now have just at 4" with my 20st across, but I am at 16 rows and it is 2.5in long... so I am going to be a whole inch off in length.  What the heck do I do? Tongue   Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh  I am clueless.  Oh, also-- if I have a similar yarn that I want to use as stripes, I should swatch it, too to be certain, right?  What if I want to dye that yarn befor eI use it--- I should swatch AFTER dying, right?  Thanks so much in advance!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007 10:10:33 AM »

break it down to 1 inch first so you'll be doing less swatching and more actual knitting

so *breaks out the calculator*

20 sts/4 inches = 5 stitches per inch
32 rows/4 inches = 8 rows per inch

now that's a bit easier to look at and count and stuff (in my head at least)

and if you're still off, go up one more needle size. just keep knitting, ripping and changing needles till you get it where you need to be

knitty has a good article on gauge and how to do it and such

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
pixelpusher
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007 10:32:31 AM »

wierd.
I just measured, within the swatch I have, the 5st = 1inch and 8rows = 1inch.   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007 10:47:51 AM »

if that works out w/ 1 inch... then go and start the sweater. if it doesn't fit, there's always things you can do to make it fit

it's just yarn... if it comes out too small, you can always frog and try again.

but you might want to wait to see what the others say first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007 11:03:34 AM »

First, it's a good idea to use more stitches for your sample than what the pattern says for gauge. The edge stitches are usually a little looser and won't be the same size as the stitches in the middle. So for 20 sts in 4", it's good to co 25 so you get a good measure of the middle 4". If you have 5sts/inch or 10 sts/2", sounds like you're okay.

Next, row gauge doesn't matter quite as much, and is harder to get and still have the same stitch gauge which is much more important. You can always knit a few rows more or less to get the measurement needed for length, than to tack on or take off stitches for the width. Most patterns will instruct you to knit for X inches rather than X rows. However, I've noticed that going up or down a size doesn't affect the sts/inch so much as it does change the rows per inch, so that's another thing that could be handy to know.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
peps

Knits with Cat.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007 11:16:25 AM »

Some people knit their purl stitches looser than their knits in stockinette.... so if you are knitting the sweater on circs and swatching on straights, that might help shrink up your row gauge a bit in the actual project since you won't be purling at all.  I've even heard of some people who use a smaller needle on their purl rows to tighten up that gauge.

But yeah, don't worry too much about row gauge vs. stitch gauge - you can always add and subtract rows to get the right length.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Any B or C liners in the Boston area up for a knitting circle?  PM me.
L-train
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007 12:11:42 PM »

Also, are you blocking your swatches? It can make a big difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For Tweaking Your Wardrobe For A Quick Fall Fashion Update
Back to School Lookbook
Outfit Ideas and Beauty Looks to Try This Fall
Nikki Pennie Reveals Her Must-Have Jeans
Top 5 Fall Denim Trends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...