A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,503
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zippered Pouch with top binding  (Read 5124 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

betty bat
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007 07:52:36 AM »

Love, love, love Queenofdiy and everything that she does, so I'm looking forward to any words of wisdom that come from her.

On the subject of zipper corners on zippered pouches, I had posted this earlier, but I think it's worth repeating - even if I am a board newbie.  The problem is the bulk of the zipper in the corner and one solution is to put fabric at the end of the zipper so you are folding the fabric and not the zipper.  There's even an official name for it.  Here's a copy of my previous post:

============================================
Here's another link on shortening zippers (in fact, it includes "Everything you wanted to know about zippers"):
http://www.questoutfitters.com/zipper_tips.htm

I found it by following the first zipper-shortening link.  That gave a reference to something called a "zipper wedge".  It turns out that's the official name for what people were talking about on how to make the corners of your zipper bags look squarer.  It's a little tab that you sew on the end of the zipper.  There's an official name for everything, I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007 01:11:05 PM »

Love, love, love Queenofdiy and everything that she does, so I'm looking forward to any words of wisdom that come from her.

Ha ha.  I don't know about that  Wink

Paulinerose:

You have a couple of options:

1.  The corners on your bag look fine - it looks like it just needs some hefty poking out of the corners.  I use a #10 knitting needle (it's a HUGE one) to really push those corners out.  I am a little rough - sometimes to the point of poking the needle through the zipper, separating it!!  This is NOT what you are aiming for but you do need a little oomph to deal with those corners.  Also, before you turn it all right sides out, trim your zipper ends in line with your seam allowances.  A non-trimmed zipper can add to bulky corners.

2.  I wrote a tutorial on a triangular cosmetic bag.  I made little tabs for the ends of the zipper (just 1 inch squares).  These helped ALOT with bulky corners. I didn't have to poke the corners too much to get them looking OK.  Here is the link:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=176509.0.  You can make the tabs longer if you want to.  Just remember to trim that zipper in line with your seam allowances (after you have sewn your tabs on, of course).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paulinerose
Vintage inspired design

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007 11:59:36 PM »

Okay okay I get it. I think using that zipper wedge as they call it is the best way to go. A bit of extra work but worth the professional look. I think I'm gonna try it right now!!! Will post pic in a bit! hehehehe

Okay I didnt get to finish last night. Igot sleepy at 2 am. (ya think??) So I finished this morning. Here it is...

Close up of the zippered end with the "wedge"

I think it is so worth the extra step to put the zipper like this. It makes it a LOT less bulky and easier to sew through. Also easier to turn and looks great! Let me know if you try it!! And thanks for all the links and tips! im super excited to do 100 more of these! hehehehe
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007 12:19:37 PM by paulinerose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007 01:35:45 PM »

Wow!!!  Paulinerose - that looks fantastic!!  I really like the top stitching on the wedge. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
srob127
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007 07:37:41 PM »

Hi queenofdiy. Your work is inspiring! I love this Zippered Pouch with the top binding. Please do a tutorial for this technique.

(Thank you for the other tutorials you have posted, they are excellent!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinklily
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007 08:28:02 AM »

your tutorials are so easy to follow. I too would love one for the zippered pouch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007 10:55:06 AM »

You've done (yet another) amazing job!  Is the binding one piece or is it sewn on the sides? Have a great vacation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
brookeincraftland
BROOKE

formerly was polKadOt_iT.then they took over :)

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007 06:43:27 AM »

Dear Queen of DIY- I am so excited for you to do this tute when you get back from holiday! You are so amazing. Hope you have a great vacation! This bag is just amazing! I love it. Very beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have paint all over my fingers and fabric all over the floor. Yeah it was a good day!
vicrob
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007 03:26:27 PM »

Hi
Your work is beautiful and perfect! I love this Zippered Pouch with the top binding. I would love to see a tutorial so I can make one

Thank you for all the help and tutorials you have shared
Vicki
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beeshebags
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011 07:51:54 AM »

Hi Queenofdiy, did you ever do a tute for this pouch?

Hugs
Naomi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sexy Workout Gear That Celebrities Wear to Exercise
Dukes of Melrose Star Tips: How to Shop Vintage
Converse Releases Line Of Worn In Chuck Taylors
#Trends: Single Strap Stilettos
Vera Wang Charges Fee To Try On Bridal Dresses
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...