A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,035
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to knit a veil (otherwise known as "i need a floral lace pattern")  (Read 1457 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2007 09:09:23 PM »

This goes out to all you knitting gurus in craftsterland:

I am getting married in over a year (08.23.08), which gives me lots of time to think about handmade wedding things. While I'm sure this could easily be posted in the wedding discussion forum, I need the help of experienced lace knitters in my recent quest. I am desperately searching for a lace pattern that will go with my dress, which is a series of small flowers (they look a bit like hibiscus) and little leaves. I want to knit a long, cathedral length veil, but am having a hard time really figuring out how I should go about it. The biggest dilemma is the type of lace that I want to use. Is there even a way to create balanced lace in the shape of flowers? I'm an intermediate lace knitter, but haven't come to the point of designing lace.

Ladies, I need help!

I was thinking that the veil could be knit a bit like a shawl (i could probably even use it as one later on!), and start with a few stitches at the middle top, then use steady increases to create a straight line up top and a curved line at the bottom. Does that make sense? What would be the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and respond. I'm really stumped!!

..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007 10:10:28 PM »

Well, I don't have a specific flower lace pattern, but you could always borrow a stitch dictionary from your library and flip through it.

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007 10:46:40 PM »

Have you seen the veils in Wedding Knits? There are at least two in there, so you might get some ideas there.

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007 12:34:48 AM »

I don't know of any hibiscus-like lace patterns off of the top of my head, but I have some book recommendations that might help:
  • Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls, by Martha Waterman, is a great resource on traditional lace knitting - it has instructions for designing lace shawls: circular, semi-circular, rectangular, triangular, and square - with a lace stitch library
  • Creating Original Hand-knitted Lace, by Margaret Stove, can teach you how to design your own lace garments and lace stitch patterns
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns, by Barbara Walker, has a wide assortment of lace patterns

It sounds like your easiest option would be a semi-circular shawl.  There are several Shetland lace patterns that feature flowers and leaves, and you could probably find one or two that you like to use.

Good luck!

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007 03:28:25 AM »

Try this

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007 02:49:55 PM »

I seriously considered knitting my wedding veil but I changed my mind when I decided on a different dress.  But there are plenty of lovely lace patterns out there.   
The ones in Wedding Knits are really simple.  I was looking for something a little bit fancier.  I bought Victorian Lace today.  There are beautiful ones in there. 
There are a couple of free ones here: http://www.elann.com/freepatterns.asp
Naked Sheep is awesome too.  http://www.nakedsheep.com/shknpa.html

Good luck!

"It's like you're unraveling a cable knit sweater that someone keeps preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', 'knitting......and......knitting......and......knitting......and......knitting.......and......knitting......and') knitting..."
-Pee Wee Herman

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007 05:26:52 PM »

Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns series has lots of great lace motifs that could easily be made into a shawl/veil.

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007 09:49:10 AM »

I love the lace pattern in Knitty's I Do (a shrug made for a wedding gown):

I think it would look ethereal and elegant knit in cobweb or laceweight.

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007 05:18:38 PM »

You girls are awesome!! Out of the millions of lace swatches that I've seen, I decided to do use knitty's "I do" lace. But, that still leaves a little bit of a question.

How do I do it? I was thinking that a half circle shawl would be perfect, but I'm not sure how to work the construction. Where are the increases placed to get that rounded look? I haven't seen a pattern for one, but I have seen lots of already made half circle shawls. Have any of you ladies knit one before? And, if so, where were the increases placed?

..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007 02:37:56 PM »

I have a book called "Beautiful Knitting Patterns" and it has a section with lots of great lace!

Here's the book on Amazon, but check your local shops because I got it at Tuesday Morning for only $5.

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cut Down Your Morning Routine With the Best Dry Shampoos
How To Blow Dry Your Bangs Like A Pro
Easy Braided Updo Tutorial: Summer Wedding Style
Must Try Shampoos For Your Hair Type
Summer-Ize Your Hair Routine with Mix-and-Match Products
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...