A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,994
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any "Sure-Fire" tips on lining up screens for multiple color printing?  (Read 1573 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yellowduckie
« on: November 19, 2004 11:43:59 AM »

Something that works with having to buy expensive equipment.  Easy would be nice too.  Also do you wait for the first color to dry, or do you just go ahead with the second color?

Also, I watched an episode of Crafters Coast-to-Coast.  The one someone made a bag out of denim pants.  She had a screen with mutiple traffic symbols on it. 

She taped over the ones not being used and printed one, then printed other symbol (after taking off the tape of course).

Does anyone else use this technique?

Also I noticed the paint from the first symbol wasn't cleaned off the screen.  Is there any tip on not getting paint from that portion of the screen, the first symbol printed, when printing the next symbol?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
yellowduckie
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004 12:21:38 PM »

Something that works with having to buy expensive equipment.

Of course I meant without buying expensive equipment
THIS ROCKS   Logged
housepig
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004 03:17:44 PM »

Also I noticed the paint from the first symbol wasn't cleaned off the screen.  Is there any tip on not getting paint from that portion of the screen, the first symbol printed, when printing the next symbol?

on screens where I've printed like that, I just put a piece of newspaper underneathe the first image, so any leftover ink doesn't get on the workpiece.

still trying to figure out a good registration system, though - I'll let you know when I have something!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

- housepig
"Eternal war against the pricks is all we can respect" - Man Is The Bastard
Housepig.com
yellowduckie
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004 04:58:41 PM »

Any if I figure one out, I'll post it here of course

thanks for the response about the second part.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blendercrush
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004 05:11:26 PM »

A good registration system is a piece of acetate hinged with tape. and some registration pins.

1.  Tape a piece of acetate  along the left side.
2.  Pull down your screen to print and do your pull on the acetate.
3.  Put the screen up and place the print you are working on under the acetate to allign it.  (If it is a series that you are working on...you should have already punched your prints for the registration pins)
4.  Slip in the registration pins in the punched holes and tape them down.

Now if all of your print were punch consistantly...you shouldn't have any problems.

If you are working on fabric....you will not need the registration pins.  Make sure the acetate is hinged with tape but placed whe the hinge won't interfere with the fabric you slide under the acetate to register.

Always make sure your screen is screwed in really tigh and that the tape forming a hinge on the acetate is secure as well.

I hope this makes sense....in words....obviously pictures would be better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yellowduckie
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004 06:08:04 PM »

Do you have a digital camera.  You could take pictures, post them on someplace like http://photobucket.com/

it's easy to link the photos here.

it would make a great tutorial

please!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blendercrush
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004 06:33:50 PM »

I have a digital camera and I plan on screen printing in the next week...so I will see what I can put together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yellowduckie
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004 06:44:13 PM »

Oh that would be so great.  thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ainadaliel
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004 09:09:14 AM »

when you do the photo emulsion, make sure you've printed registration points on all of them. Then just cover them up with CLEAR LACQUER, so the paint doesn't seep through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simpleindustrial
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004 07:04:39 PM »

I think a cheap way to make a press could be to get one of those "lazy suzanne's" I think that's what they're called. the
spinning thing poeple put on the center of their table. and mount a board on the bottom that extends out for you to put
your  fabric or whatever on (spray adheasive will help to keep it from slipping, a light spray after each print)

then on top mount four hinges equally apart and mount your screens to the hinges.

just make sure when you make your screens they all line up. printing register marks really helps.

I just kind of came up with that, there will be a lot of measuring and things. but it could work well.

Also I have seen people puit multiple images on screens, one thing you can do if you use the same color for different images
is tape the bottom of the screen rather than the top. so you don't have to clean either side and the last image won't get
on anything.

just be sure not to tape both sides of a image because the adhesive will get stuck in the screen, it's a mess, and hard to clean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Perfect Braid for Shorter Hair
Fishtail Braiding 101: How to Plait Perfectly
Pull It Together with This Braided Top Knot
How to Tease Your Hair: The Backcombing Basics
How to Make Greasy Hair Look Good
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...