A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand carved rubber stamps! EDIT: Added tutorial!  (Read 14277 times)
Tags for this thread: stamp , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ollyollyoxenfree
« on: June 13, 2007 06:15:53 PM »

The first time I carved a stamp was in the 5th grade and it was some sort of monkey for a school-wide "Save the Rainforest" campaign. Anywho I'm now a sophomore in college and suddenly got the urge to carve some more, partly due to my discovery of "letterboxing" thanks to this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=157748.0

So here are some stamps I've carved!

Here's all 4 of them together.

A close up of the mustache stamp. There was no real reason for me to carve a mustache stamp...I just felt like it. The little guy is a dingbat from a font on this site: http://fonts.tom7.com/

A close up of my personal favorite, the sea-horse. I traced the design myself in illustrator based off of a couple sea-horse skeleton pictures.

And now for the actual prints of the stamps...

Mustache man. I enjoy him because you can draw in his eyes and hair and mouth and stuff depending on how you're feeling.

Anchor. I'm into nautical things as I live right by the beach and have this same anchor stenciled onto a bag of mine.

My favorite sea-horse. I really love this one. Don't know what I'll use it for yet, but I love it.

My friends and I came up with this design for our letterboxing name. If you're from the Jersey Shore like I am, you know we're often referred to as "shore points" on many road signs, thus our "team name." This was the first stamp I carved so it's a little rough, but I love it anyways. The duck is another dingbat from a font from the site listed above.

All the stamps are mounted on pieces of wood, except for the anchor. I just glued that to an altoids tin cause it was the right size and it does the job just fine.

If anyone wants a tutorial, feel free to ask! Enjoy Smiley

EDIT: Added my little tutorial!

Step 1: Print out your image so that it will fit on the piece of stamp material you're going to use. I did a skeleton key that I traced from a pic I found online.

Step 2: Trace all the outlines of your image using just a regular pencil. Easy peasy.

Step 3: After finished tracing, cut around the image so the area around it is smaller. Lay it, traced side down, on top of the stamp material. I usually tape it down so it doesn't move around.

Step 4: Using a pencil again, scribble all over the back of the image making sure to scribble on top of all the pencil lines on the other side.

Step 5: Voila! Your image should be transferred onto the stamp material. At this point I cut away any excess material with scissors

Step 6: After the image is transferred, I use the smallest blade that I have to carve an outline around the entire image. I also carve out any tiny areas that require detail.

Step 7: Once detailed areas are done with smaller blades, I switch to larger blades and carve away any other unnecessary areas. I trim with scissors then super-glue it to a piece of wood.

Step 8: Finally, push it into some ink and stamp it!

A few notes on supplies
As stated above, I use Speedball's Speedy Stamp (also called "pink stuff") to carve my stamps into. Great stuff! It's not crumbly and is really easy to carve: http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=3553958&store=003&AID=10273655&PID=1606362

I use Speedball's Linoleum Cutters with different size blades / cutters to carve the stamps with: http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=3553401&store=001&AID=10273655&PID=1606362

I use Versacraft Ink Pads (http://www.blockheadstamps.com/ink_versacraft.html) for stamping onto fabric but for paper I just use any old ink pad that I can find. I have some from Wal-Mart, Rag Shop...any brand will do. Also littlehands, I think the way the ink thins out was just a fluke, but I like it as well Smiley

Thanks for all the compliments. Carve some of your own and post em here!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007 05:56:33 PM by ollyollyoxenfree - Reason: Added tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged

one day i'll be wondering how
i got so old just wondering how
i never got cold wearing nothing in the snow
this is way beyond my remote concern
march
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007 06:19:38 PM »

those are really awesome! I especially love the mooooostacshe...

what medium are they carved oN?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MnkyMama
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007 06:27:19 PM »

so cute!  I'd love a tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ollyollyoxenfree
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007 06:32:43 PM »

http://www.atlasquest.com/marketplace/misterart/

Here's what I carved them into- it's called Speedy Stamp Carving Blocks by the Speedball company (the second image on that website- the pink squares). My carving tools (linoleum cutters) were also made by Speedball.

I still have some pink stuff left over so I'll make a tutorial soon when I carve the next stamp! Thanks for responses so far, you guys are quick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

one day i'll be wondering how
i got so old just wondering how
i never got cold wearing nothing in the snow
this is way beyond my remote concern
k8thagr8
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007 08:32:03 PM »

i LOVE them.  one of these days i'll get to carving stamps.  these totally rock.  keep posting and i can't wait for that tutorial.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007 12:13:32 AM »

Wow, just amazing! I love the seahorse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
craftypirate
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007 05:08:48 AM »

those are completely awesome!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tatobuggy7
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007 02:03:43 PM »

these are great! I had to carve a couple stamps for letterboxing too. I used erasers for mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlehands
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007 02:29:34 PM »

the anchor looks really nice. Cheesy

also, sort of a weird question maybe, but what kind of ink did you use to make your prints(?) because i kind of like how it thins out a little in the middle..... or maybe that is just a fluke haha
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007 02:31:07 PM by littlehands » THIS ROCKS   Logged

coma bernice
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007 03:46:11 PM »

those are way cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How To Cook Duck Fat Fried Rice!
How to Make Thai Butternut Soup
Pretend-Perfect Pad Thai
How to Make Thai Sweet Rice with Mango
Wonton Shrimp That Is As Easy To Make As It Is Delicious
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...