A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand carved rubber stamps! EDIT: Added tutorial!  (Read 15622 times)
Tags for this thread: stamp , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ollyollyoxenfree
« on: June 13, 2007 06:15:53 PM »

The first time I carved a stamp was in the 5th grade and it was some sort of monkey for a school-wide "Save the Rainforest" campaign. Anywho I'm now a sophomore in college and suddenly got the urge to carve some more, partly due to my discovery of "letterboxing" thanks to this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=157748.0

So here are some stamps I've carved!

Here's all 4 of them together.

A close up of the mustache stamp. There was no real reason for me to carve a mustache stamp...I just felt like it. The little guy is a dingbat from a font on this site: http://fonts.tom7.com/

A close up of my personal favorite, the sea-horse. I traced the design myself in illustrator based off of a couple sea-horse skeleton pictures.

And now for the actual prints of the stamps...

Mustache man. I enjoy him because you can draw in his eyes and hair and mouth and stuff depending on how you're feeling.

Anchor. I'm into nautical things as I live right by the beach and have this same anchor stenciled onto a bag of mine.

My favorite sea-horse. I really love this one. Don't know what I'll use it for yet, but I love it.

My friends and I came up with this design for our letterboxing name. If you're from the Jersey Shore like I am, you know we're often referred to as "shore points" on many road signs, thus our "team name." This was the first stamp I carved so it's a little rough, but I love it anyways. The duck is another dingbat from a font from the site listed above.

All the stamps are mounted on pieces of wood, except for the anchor. I just glued that to an altoids tin cause it was the right size and it does the job just fine.

If anyone wants a tutorial, feel free to ask! Enjoy Smiley

EDIT: Added my little tutorial!

Step 1: Print out your image so that it will fit on the piece of stamp material you're going to use. I did a skeleton key that I traced from a pic I found online.

Step 2: Trace all the outlines of your image using just a regular pencil. Easy peasy.

Step 3: After finished tracing, cut around the image so the area around it is smaller. Lay it, traced side down, on top of the stamp material. I usually tape it down so it doesn't move around.

Step 4: Using a pencil again, scribble all over the back of the image making sure to scribble on top of all the pencil lines on the other side.

Step 5: Voila! Your image should be transferred onto the stamp material. At this point I cut away any excess material with scissors

Step 6: After the image is transferred, I use the smallest blade that I have to carve an outline around the entire image. I also carve out any tiny areas that require detail.

Step 7: Once detailed areas are done with smaller blades, I switch to larger blades and carve away any other unnecessary areas. I trim with scissors then super-glue it to a piece of wood.

Step 8: Finally, push it into some ink and stamp it!

A few notes on supplies
As stated above, I use Speedball's Speedy Stamp (also called "pink stuff") to carve my stamps into. Great stuff! It's not crumbly and is really easy to carve: http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=3553958&store=003&AID=10273655&PID=1606362

I use Speedball's Linoleum Cutters with different size blades / cutters to carve the stamps with: http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=3553401&store=001&AID=10273655&PID=1606362

I use Versacraft Ink Pads (http://www.blockheadstamps.com/ink_versacraft.html) for stamping onto fabric but for paper I just use any old ink pad that I can find. I have some from Wal-Mart, Rag Shop...any brand will do. Also littlehands, I think the way the ink thins out was just a fluke, but I like it as well Smiley

Thanks for all the compliments. Carve some of your own and post em here!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007 05:56:33 PM by ollyollyoxenfree - Reason: Added tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged

one day i'll be wondering how
i got so old just wondering how
i never got cold wearing nothing in the snow
this is way beyond my remote concern
march
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007 06:19:38 PM »

those are really awesome! I especially love the mooooostacshe...

what medium are they carved oN?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MnkyMama
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007 06:27:19 PM »

so cute!  I'd love a tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ollyollyoxenfree
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007 06:32:43 PM »

http://www.atlasquest.com/marketplace/misterart/

Here's what I carved them into- it's called Speedy Stamp Carving Blocks by the Speedball company (the second image on that website- the pink squares). My carving tools (linoleum cutters) were also made by Speedball.

I still have some pink stuff left over so I'll make a tutorial soon when I carve the next stamp! Thanks for responses so far, you guys are quick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

one day i'll be wondering how
i got so old just wondering how
i never got cold wearing nothing in the snow
this is way beyond my remote concern
k8thagr8
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007 08:32:03 PM »

i LOVE them.  one of these days i'll get to carving stamps.  these totally rock.  keep posting and i can't wait for that tutorial.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007 12:13:32 AM »

Wow, just amazing! I love the seahorse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
craftypirate
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007 05:08:48 AM »

those are completely awesome!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tatobuggy7
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007 02:03:43 PM »

these are great! I had to carve a couple stamps for letterboxing too. I used erasers for mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlehands
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007 02:29:34 PM »

the anchor looks really nice. Cheesy

also, sort of a weird question maybe, but what kind of ink did you use to make your prints(?) because i kind of like how it thins out a little in the middle..... or maybe that is just a fluke haha
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007 02:31:07 PM by littlehands » THIS ROCKS   Logged

coma bernice
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007 03:46:11 PM »

those are way cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...