A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand carved rubber stamps! EDIT: Added tutorial!  (Read 14758 times)
Tags for this thread: stamp , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ollyollyoxenfree
« on: June 13, 2007 06:15:53 PM »

The first time I carved a stamp was in the 5th grade and it was some sort of monkey for a school-wide "Save the Rainforest" campaign. Anywho I'm now a sophomore in college and suddenly got the urge to carve some more, partly due to my discovery of "letterboxing" thanks to this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=157748.0

So here are some stamps I've carved!

Here's all 4 of them together.

A close up of the mustache stamp. There was no real reason for me to carve a mustache stamp...I just felt like it. The little guy is a dingbat from a font on this site: http://fonts.tom7.com/

A close up of my personal favorite, the sea-horse. I traced the design myself in illustrator based off of a couple sea-horse skeleton pictures.

And now for the actual prints of the stamps...

Mustache man. I enjoy him because you can draw in his eyes and hair and mouth and stuff depending on how you're feeling.

Anchor. I'm into nautical things as I live right by the beach and have this same anchor stenciled onto a bag of mine.

My favorite sea-horse. I really love this one. Don't know what I'll use it for yet, but I love it.

My friends and I came up with this design for our letterboxing name. If you're from the Jersey Shore like I am, you know we're often referred to as "shore points" on many road signs, thus our "team name." This was the first stamp I carved so it's a little rough, but I love it anyways. The duck is another dingbat from a font from the site listed above.

All the stamps are mounted on pieces of wood, except for the anchor. I just glued that to an altoids tin cause it was the right size and it does the job just fine.

If anyone wants a tutorial, feel free to ask! Enjoy Smiley

EDIT: Added my little tutorial!

Step 1: Print out your image so that it will fit on the piece of stamp material you're going to use. I did a skeleton key that I traced from a pic I found online.

Step 2: Trace all the outlines of your image using just a regular pencil. Easy peasy.

Step 3: After finished tracing, cut around the image so the area around it is smaller. Lay it, traced side down, on top of the stamp material. I usually tape it down so it doesn't move around.

Step 4: Using a pencil again, scribble all over the back of the image making sure to scribble on top of all the pencil lines on the other side.

Step 5: Voila! Your image should be transferred onto the stamp material. At this point I cut away any excess material with scissors

Step 6: After the image is transferred, I use the smallest blade that I have to carve an outline around the entire image. I also carve out any tiny areas that require detail.

Step 7: Once detailed areas are done with smaller blades, I switch to larger blades and carve away any other unnecessary areas. I trim with scissors then super-glue it to a piece of wood.

Step 8: Finally, push it into some ink and stamp it!

A few notes on supplies
As stated above, I use Speedball's Speedy Stamp (also called "pink stuff") to carve my stamps into. Great stuff! It's not crumbly and is really easy to carve: http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=3553958&store=003&AID=10273655&PID=1606362

I use Speedball's Linoleum Cutters with different size blades / cutters to carve the stamps with: http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=3553401&store=001&AID=10273655&PID=1606362

I use Versacraft Ink Pads (http://www.blockheadstamps.com/ink_versacraft.html) for stamping onto fabric but for paper I just use any old ink pad that I can find. I have some from Wal-Mart, Rag Shop...any brand will do. Also littlehands, I think the way the ink thins out was just a fluke, but I like it as well Smiley

Thanks for all the compliments. Carve some of your own and post em here!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007 05:56:33 PM by ollyollyoxenfree - Reason: Added tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged

one day i'll be wondering how
i got so old just wondering how
i never got cold wearing nothing in the snow
this is way beyond my remote concern
march
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007 06:19:38 PM »

those are really awesome! I especially love the mooooostacshe...

what medium are they carved oN?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MnkyMama
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007 06:27:19 PM »

so cute!  I'd love a tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ollyollyoxenfree
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007 06:32:43 PM »

http://www.atlasquest.com/marketplace/misterart/

Here's what I carved them into- it's called Speedy Stamp Carving Blocks by the Speedball company (the second image on that website- the pink squares). My carving tools (linoleum cutters) were also made by Speedball.

I still have some pink stuff left over so I'll make a tutorial soon when I carve the next stamp! Thanks for responses so far, you guys are quick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

one day i'll be wondering how
i got so old just wondering how
i never got cold wearing nothing in the snow
this is way beyond my remote concern
k8thagr8
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007 08:32:03 PM »

i LOVE them.  one of these days i'll get to carving stamps.  these totally rock.  keep posting and i can't wait for that tutorial.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007 12:13:32 AM »

Wow, just amazing! I love the seahorse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
craftypirate
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007 05:08:48 AM »

those are completely awesome!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tatobuggy7
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007 02:03:43 PM »

these are great! I had to carve a couple stamps for letterboxing too. I used erasers for mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlehands
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007 02:29:34 PM »

the anchor looks really nice. Cheesy

also, sort of a weird question maybe, but what kind of ink did you use to make your prints(?) because i kind of like how it thins out a little in the middle..... or maybe that is just a fluke haha
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007 02:31:07 PM by littlehands » THIS ROCKS   Logged

coma bernice
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007 03:46:11 PM »

those are way cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 swaps
PlumCrafty
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007 03:55:42 PM »

Your stamps are brilliant, I love them all and especially the sea horse! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
susankg53
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007 05:20:45 PM »

I love the sea horse and I could see you printing that all over a piece of fabric, say maybe add a sea weed in between and then make a bag from it. Or print it on a T-shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlehands
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007 07:40:45 PM »

thanks for the great tutorial, i'm DEFINITELY trying this out ASAP.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shay8317
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007 09:35:11 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial! I am going to have to try this! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisedpeach22

But why is all the rum gone??

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007 11:46:15 PM »

Your stamps look great! I love the anchor...keeping seeing a tote bag set using it. Smiley Thanks for the tutorial and especially the link. It saved me having to hunt down what i'm currently using to carve my first stamp since jr high. I just have an piece that an art teacher gave me years ago and never knew the name of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

url]
Wist
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007 11:49:13 PM »

Oh, thanks for the tute! I'll have to try! Your stamps are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
aperez
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007 05:15:44 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing!!!!  I love love all of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop below:

http://streetscrapyard.etsy.com
redstars
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007 01:03:15 AM »

Great Tutorial!
 I've been carving a stamp for the last week, I think i went way to detailed for my first one, but i think i will still come out ok.

A trick I learned from the owner of a stamp shop in San Luis Obisbo. Take whatever image you want to use for you stamp and Xerox it or print it out using a laser printer (backwards of course) place it face down over your material. Then take acetone or nail polish remover and get it damp so you can see your image through the paper, then rub your image onto the material. It should copy a perfectly dark image onto the material. It might take a little practice, but once you got it down it's such a time saver and produces a really good image to follow. I'll try and post some pics if anyone wants them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy
bronzfrog
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007 08:18:46 AM »

thanks for the tutorial
i love the sea horse stamp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007 03:09:13 PM »

Way-cool stamps!  We letterbox, too... started about a year ago.  Thanks for the post about where to get the carving stuff.  We used the crumbly junk for ours.  Our stamps are still holding up, but they do tend to flake and crumb a bit.  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookeincraftland
BROOKE

formerly was polKadOt_iT.then they took over :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007 08:34:54 PM »

know that this post is kinda old. But I was so excited to find it! I have been wanting to learn more about making my own stamps. YOu did such a great job carving these. I also love the variety you did. I am so excited to carve some myselft. I can thanks to the tute you posted and the links you posted to the site to get the materials! Thanks so much!

brooke
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have paint all over my fingers and fabric all over the floor. Yeah it was a good day!
SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007 10:16:08 AM »

I love carving stamps---I even did a 12 inch square one once (I guess thats more of a "print" then a stamp) but anyway--I like the idea of rubbing the back of your image--that seems like it would get more detail.  Usually I just use carbon paper.

Oh, and the part about getting stamps from Rag Shop just about made me cry--I worked there for 6 years until we went out of business this summer  Cry

But thanks for the idea---you've inspired me to give it a go again.  i'm thinking a tiki head stamp....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxeyvi
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007 11:35:32 AM »

Uhm, the mustache made my day! It really did. And I'm a huge sucker for anything nautical or with a sea theme. These are wonderful.

And coincidentally, I too made a stamp (the art teacher called it blockprinting, same thing!) when I was in 5th grade. Nothing as cool as a monkey, though.

Continue making stamps, because these are awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well behaved women rarely make history.
meriweather
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007 08:23:58 PM »

love mustache man. I don't know why , but those fake noses and glasses always crack me up. I usually do not go in for that sort of thing. I wonder if road rage could be deflated with people just wearing fake noses and laughing. THis being LA, probably not a good experiment. Anyway good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magic happens
l_coburn85
Love Me Do

Not a girl who misses much...

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007 09:05:32 AM »

these rock! im totally going to try these. i have always thought about making stamps but because i cant draw, i have been hesistant to try. i never even thought about printing images and then transferring them

and thanks for posting the supply list too.

*off to make some stamps*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

enakitty
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007 11:30:31 AM »

i will have to try this for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007 09:17:49 AM »

I just did a search for rubber stamps and found this.Terrific. I just made my first stamp and I'm so excited-I had no idea that it was so non-labor intensive-well, at least the way I craft Wink I am now using the hard art erasers,too.
I'm thinking of starting a handmade stamp swap, so be sure to check out swap ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Beautimus21
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007 12:41:20 PM »

Man, I haven't made a stamp since middle school art class! I would LOVE to make one again-- thanks for the info!  Grin

And I really, really love the moustache one. <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't have sewing skills-- I glue paper to paper!
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007 06:48:39 PM »

I'm thinking of starting a handmade stamp swap, so be sure to check out swap ideas.

Hey, balkandina!  You might be interested in the upcoming letterboxing swap... we'll be swapping (preferably handcarved) stamps and a journal...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=195604.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007 07:45:09 PM »

Thanks Barbolot. I've heard about letterboxing-looks very interesting and fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
amybarnett
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008 09:35:36 PM »

I adore the seahorse!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008 12:52:32 AM »

Wow - these are fab.  I especially love the mustache man - might be fun to stamp over pictures/photos of people too.

Must clear my work table so that I can try lino cutting, but I'm scared of slicing my fingers open!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008 11:30:45 PM »

excellent!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009 02:27:43 PM by cyndiq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009 10:13:03 AM »

Heck yeah!  I'm going to go home and carve some stamps to use for my etsy advertising.  Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
xorcha
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012 06:20:38 AM »

Love your stamps! Thank you so much for the tutorial
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Jane
cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014 10:37:47 AM »

Love your stamps and list of supplies and tut. Wonderful. Has inspired me to carve a few more myself.

Oh, I always glue a sample of the stamp to the top of the wood block so that I know which way the stamp faces when I'm stamping....remember to line it up correctly! LOL I did that once. Put the picture on upside down...and kept stamping upside down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grecian Garden Vegetables with Chef Michael Psilakis at Anthos
Porcelet with Chef Kerry Heffernan at South Gate
Holiday Game with Chef Craig Hopson at One if by Land, Two if By Sea
Sumptuous Short Ribs and Steak with Chef Gavin Kaysen at Cafe Boulud
Seafood Sensation with Chef Marucs Gleadow-Ware at Aureole
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...