A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my 2 latest bags  (Read 1751 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , purse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Butterfly Grl
My inner child is a mean little bastard.

That which does not kill me, had better run fast.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2007 04:41:44 PM »

::This is a really long post...sorry  Embarrassed ::

Well, I got some money for my birthday (last month) and I knew that I wanted to get some nice material because I'm really in need of a new bag. So I drew up a plan from an idea I had in my head (not that thats hard...and yeah I call it a plan..not pattern...plan.:-d  Wink )
anyway, what I ended up with was a kinda simple messenger bag.
I wanted similar to the first one I made just this time with a zip and I wanted the strap a little shorter...
this is what I ended up with.

Okay and I would normally show you a photo of the inside, but seeing as even when I'm just trying to get into the bag I get lost...yeah...takin g a photo seemed impossible. Inside I have pockets for my cellphone and mp3 player, I have a secret pouch, a pouch for my umbrella, a thingie to put tissues in (that was a job and a half!) a D-ring to attach my keys to, and 2 more x-tra pockets.
Under the flap: a pouch for my pen and one for paper.
And last but not least I have a pocket thing for a bottle of sorts (cola or something)
It has a magnetic button thing, snap buttons, and 2 zips.oh, and the material is a black-ish denim and a red cotton(I think) but in certain light it comes up as a burgundy colour.
Oh, the image I drew (its not magnificent but I like it) and I painted it on with fabric paint.
okay...well that bag ended up being even bigger than the previous one..so much that my father bet that he could put his laptop in there...I tested his theory...I fits, with lots of space..if you didn't know better you wouldn't even know that there was a laptop in the bag!  Grin )

So thats how we come to the second bag (By now this post looks really long...I'm  sorry its just that I haven't posted clothing items in a while.
For my second bag I got inspiration from a bag I saw at Hot Topic and I wanted to try and recreate it. This was a desperate attempt to make a bag from the material that I would actually use...anyhow this is what I ended up with

The image on the outside I actually saw on BME it is someones tattoo, and I honestly think it looks really beautiful and so I decided it HAD to go onto my new bag
::If this is your tattoo let me know I will give you full credit or if you don't want me to post it then I will remove the images::
This one is a really simple bag it has snap buttons and a cellphone pocket on the inside.Oh, and as can tell its from the same material.

Well I think that was a long enough post ...again sorry...
but..um..let me know what you think. I still have about a meter and a half of each fabric, if you have any ideas of what I could make next.

Butterfly Grl
xXxXx

::Edit::

This is what else I've made with the material so far:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=176924.0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007 04:02:51 PM by Butterfly Grl - Reason: to add link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Birdy, birdy in the sky, Why'd you do that in my eye
Looks like sugar, tastes like sap
Oh my God...its birdy crap!
;-p    :-D
HippieChick7
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007 05:50:12 PM »

They look awesome! I'm not a great sewer but the hobo bag looks easy. How did you cut out the fabric for that? Because I see it's tied at the handles...so the sewing wasn't terribly hard was it? lol, sorry I am just not very good with sewing machines.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susankg53
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007 08:57:34 PM »

I think your bags are great, I think I like the second the best, as for the rest of the fabric, I have all the confidence in the world that inspiration will strike and you will create something spectacular.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoilerWife

I shall rule the worl.......oops, you heard me?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007 09:25:31 PM »

I love your choice of fabrics. Very nice! The bird is just too cute. Are the magnetic snaps hard to do?? I haven't ventured to try them yet, still trying to master the zipper. LOL

I think a cute coin purse to go with the small hobo would be real cute, with matching designs on it... or maybe the little bird a nest to rest in? LOL

Very nice work!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need a new hobby, my old one is broke!
Butterfly Grl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007 03:20:51 AM »

Thank you for the nice comments.

HippieChick7: It wasent difficult..it was really really easy. I actually got the size from a lampshade... I have an old lamp whose shade has broken off, becasue it became brittle, and so I had it on hand and I just traced around it.

susankg53: The ideas are flowing slowly, its just trying to pick out the right ones thats an issue...hehe.. Wink

BoilerWife: The magnetic things were actually really easy too. All you do is cut 2 small lines into the material, but please learn from my mistake...do this before you sew up all the corners....I forgot and had to unpick the one corner of my bag, it did end up helping me with the placement, but I just think that in future it would be easier to do it first. Oh, and I would also suggest put some interfacing??sp?? (the stuff you iron on) onto the spot that you're going to put the button, it helps make the material strong so the button should't pull too much on the material when you're using it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lody
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007 03:47:35 AM »

I really like your first bag =) Out of curiosity, how did you design your tissue pocket? (I put a special pocket for tissues on my bag, too, which is why I'm curious XD of course, now I never use it for tissues... hahaha)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007 06:36:16 AM »

These bags are absolutely gorgeous!  I love the embellishments...I thought they were embroidered when I first looked.  They're beautiful and especially cool where you've done the pockets!  They look very professional, too. 

I really like all of the pockets/compartments for everything, and what a great idea to do one for tissues.

Well, I got some money for my birthday (last month) and I knew that I wanted to get some nice material because I'm really in need of a new bag. So I drew up a plan from an idea I had in my head (not that thats hard...and yeah I call it a plan..not pattern...plan.:-d  Wink
Ever the craftster...buying the fabric with the money instead of the bag, because we need to make it, darn it!  Grin
(and the "plan" comment made me smile, too!  Cheesy)

Fantastic work and I cannot wait to see what you come up with next!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.co m
Butterfly Grl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007 04:09:29 PM »

Lody: The tissue pocket thing I personally think looks really ugly, I will take a pic when I get a chance so you can see what I mean.

runnermom100863: So far this is the only other thing I've made
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=176924.msg1830389;topicseen#msg1830389
Ever the craftster...buying the fabric with the money instead of the bag, because we need to make it, darn it! 
hehe, yeah and the worst part for me is, every time I go into a merterial shop..I WILL see material I like and WANT, even though at that very moment I don't have a use for it...I WILL find a use...dammit!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Dressmaker Book Trailer
Mosh Potatoes Book Trailer
Jennifer Weiner Talks About Certain Girls
Karen Katz Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Michael Hiltzik Talks About Colossus
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...