A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another (small) gripe about SNB Nation  (Read 7182 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slone
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004 09:25:51 AM »

Don't feel so bad!
My province, Newfoundland, was left out of the Canada section!  Wink

However, the boy model had amazing puppy eyes, even though he kinda looked like a young Emilio Estevez....but that's still hot!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

beep!
gracella

I hope life isn't one big joke cuz I don't get it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004 10:08:25 AM »

yes! i live in wisconsin, and the 2 yarn stores in snb nation are in south central wisconsin! i live about an hour and a half away from there. i think they should list yarn store in the madison and milwaukee area, milwaukee being our biggest city.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bonanzajellybean

Even art teachers get the blues.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2005 08:38:57 PM »

I felt so disappointed when I saw wal-mart was the only listing for NC.  I thought people were going to think we are such hicks down here with the only good place to buy yarn is wal-mart!  Anyone in the Greensboro area needs to go to Yarns Etc.  It is an awesome store and the people there are super nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my handspun fibers...
http://www.thirdfloorfibers.etsy.com
heavenlyginger
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005 05:38:38 PM »

I agree Slone - Newfoundland (my province as well!) wasn't included. And we do have a LYS in the capital and others throughout the province. And I have to admit, I'd been hoping to find a listing for a local SnB.
Next book perhaps..... Smiley

Alison
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anasbubbalu
can we knit awhile?

KnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnit...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2005 08:46:23 PM »

I'm upset with the walmart but mainly because the cheap newbie knitters here complain if yarn is more than two dollars a skien. We have a great LYS in wilmington called Yarns and Needlepoint but all the girls in my SnB act like it's a sin to spend that hard earned beer money on good yarn. I however will starve for new yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a substance abuse problem...I'm addicted to yarn.( I also have a knitting bloggy thaingamajig that i rarely update...)
http://sappytrees.blogspot.com/
ooohhh look-I'm a minion too! www.myspace.com/iknit
knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2005 08:42:51 AM »

Im not big on wal mart, but yeah im  a "cheep newbie knitter" as anasbubbalu put it.
But I hate yarn snobbery. some of us cant afford expensive yarn. Who cares where you buy your
yarn. Its the joy of creating something with two sticks and string (or wool , or acrylic) whatever.
I do believe in supporting independent yarn stores. Those "cheep newbie knitters" have made knitting
more popular. And that generates more patterns and beautiful yarns for all knitters experienced and not so experienced. sorry i had to rant on that one but yarn snobbery sux......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
ultraviolet
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2005 07:41:31 PM »

Now, I *can* afford some of the nicer yarns but even so, it pains me to spend upwards of $50 on a sweater that isn't made yet Smiley  I have to keep reminding myself that I will still be able to pay rent. But for many people, the choice is not so clear. Knitting is a fricking expensive hobby!

I find it disappointing that LYS's tend to ONLY carry the expensive yarns. But my favorite yarn store here in Boston actually carries everything from Red Heart to Rowan. As it should be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
me_huh
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005 11:33:08 AM »

do you guys think lamb's pride is expensive? i think it is really really reasonably priced and a nice quality... plus, the worsted weight can usually sub in well for a lot of patterns out there. Here it is only like $5.50 a skien-

I, personally, have a problem with wal-mart in that I don't think they are an ethical company and I refuse to shop there. I think it is worth it to spend a little more money on ANYTHING - not only yarn - to help support small businesses and manufacturers of products who are ethical and don't put profit before people and the environment. I also try to check up on where the yarn I buy comes from too... like, for example, if it is manufactured by dupont I wouldn't buy it because they are one of the top 30 polluting companies in America.

I'm not trying to be snobby by any means... i just can't justify saving a little money over supporting the smaller companies who deserve it. I know a lot of people don't think like I do, but I want to have an idea of where my money goes, and know that its doing some good.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2005 12:33:18 PM »

But you and I have a choice - for some people they can either buy super-cheap yarn or not knit at all. There are a lot of young high school age people knitting now for example. If I had knit at that age it woulda been Red Heart or nothing Smiley Lamb's Pride here (in Boston) is $7.50 per skein. I love it and it IS cheaper than a lot others, but still comes out to a lot for an entire sweater - I had to buy 9 skeins for the sweater I'm making now for my bf.

I'm definitely interested in the ethics of yarn companies though so far I haven't really researched it. My concerns are primarily with the treatment of the sheep though I'm also interested in environmental factors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2005 08:52:33 AM »

What to pay for yarn and who to buy it from are real issues for those of us who want to express support for certain companies or types of companies, etc.  Personally, I prefer my lys (and I know I am darn lucky to have a few to chose from).  But I can't afford to always buy spendier yarn.  Sometimes, I need to really watch what I spend.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kate Moss Reunites with Topshop for New Collaboration
Celeb Style Secrets: Nina Dobrev
How To Research Sizes Online From Michelle Madhok
Gwen Stefani: Modern Style Icon
The Top 10 Buzziest Moments of Paris Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...