A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do I have gauge??  (Read 378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 13, 2007 12:30:27 PM »

Please help me if you can! I think I have gauge problems in life. I understand the concept- but I guess I am just bad at judging it. I am planning on knitting the two tone shrug from fitted knits, I just did a gauge swatch and it is a tiny bit big.
The book says: gauge= 20 sts and 26 rows= 4"

My whole swatch is 20 sts and 26 rows. It is a little bit big- but if I went down a needle size I think it would be too small. From my pictures do you think I have gauge? What should I do?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007 12:36:13 PM »

I'd say give it a try on smaller needles. Changing needle size never seems to affect the gague as dramatically as I expect it to going in. Also be conscious of how tightly you knit... when I'm having trouble achieving gague, sometimes I'll subconsciously change my tension to help it along, but that's no good because I won't be able to sustain it over the life of the project. I've had to frog because of that on occasion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007 12:40:15 PM »

Ok- I'll try going down a needle size! Which brings me to another question- the pattern calls for two different needle sizes- 5 and 8. The gauge is done in size 8s. If I must go down one size from the 8 should I go down a size from the 5 too??

Thanks for answering so quickly!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007 12:45:13 PM »

Hmmm... probably, but it depends on the pattern. When I did my version of the Pithy Hat in a larger yarn, I didn't end up sizing up the needles as much for the body of the hat as I did for the ribbing. What I'd do in your shoes would be to swatch in both sizes I'm thinking of trying for the other part of the pattern, multiplying my gague by the number of stitches, and comparing that number to the dimension of that portion of the piece (if given) or to the body measurement you're trying to fit (in my example, I just measured my head) accounting for ease or negative ease as needed. Isn't yarn substituting fun?

All of the above is assuming the gague actually matters, and it's not something like a scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007 03:50:50 AM »

For a gauge swatch, you need to cast on more than 10 cm wide. Say 15 cm. And if it is stocking stitch, add 4-5 stitches of garter at the start and end of each row to stop curling. In a 20-st swatch, the edge stitches can be a bit loose, so you will get a bigger measurement than what you will actually have in your knitted item.

What you have there looks like about 16 stitches to 10 cm/4 in (although not curling too much, well done).

I say go down a needle size, cast on 26 stitches at least, first 3 rows garter, then about 10-12 cm of stocking stitch with 3 stitches of garter on each side. More than 20 stitches of stocking stitch would be even better, say 25 with 3 st garter each side. Wash it the way the shrug will be washed and dry the same way, then measure scrupulously and don't be tempted to stretch or squash it even a little bit, if you do this the shrug will be the wrong size. Better to err on the small side if you do err because many fabrics will be able to block larger, also it will be stretched out slightly when it's on you, so smaller is better than bigger, but DO swatch and wash it because you don't want to knit a whole shrug that doesn't fit you! Much better to spend the hour swatching, get out your favourite DVD - I recommend Prison Break, as long as watching those boys will not make you feverishly clench your wool tightly, you don't want to have different tension during your swatch from when you knit the shrug - it will fly buy, you will get the feel of your wool, and it is really worth a few minutes now to get a shrug that actually fits you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Lamb Chop Marinade for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Make Goat Cheese and Strawberries Salad for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Make Shrimp Scampi for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Prepare a Romantic Dinner for Two
Learn how to Cook the Shrimp and Beurre Fondue Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...