A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: so confused! round baby blanket questions...  (Read 866 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2007 08:11:20 PM »

for the baby blanket here:
http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm
it says:
Cast on 5 stitches, knit around. Place a marker to mark the beginning of the round.
Next round, make 1 stitch in each stitch (10 stitches).
Round 5: *k1, yo* around to marker. (20 stitches).

1. how do you "knit around"? is that just knitting the stitches that are there or is it something special?
2. how do you get 10 stitches in the next round if you start with 5 and only put 1 stitch in each stitch?
3. why does it go to round 5 after the first two directions?

help would be greatly appreciated! i'm just not comprehending very well! Smiley
thanks!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007 08:11:52 PM by FunkyKristen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

weezy43076
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007 08:20:41 PM »

wow, im sorry hun, knitting in the round confuses me , hopefully you'll find some help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for a personal swap, if you want it, don't be afraid to ask me, and maybe I'll make you one!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007 08:33:06 PM »

Wow, that's confusing. I don't get questions 2 and 3. I'm guessing you cast on in the round for the first question.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007 08:35:49 PM »

You need to start off using double pointed needles and when you have enough stitches, switch to circular needles.

There's a few good tutorials at http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ for knitting in the round.

You can also forego the DPNs and use the magic loop method. There's a tutorial for that on that page too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammimag
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007 08:41:39 PM »

You will be knitting in the round to make this. So you need to bring you needles or  circ needles around , make sure nothing is twisted then then knit around. (sorry if you already get this)

Then your next round you will k1 and YO(yarn overs)  so then you will now have 10 sts on the needles, 5 knitted stitches and 5YO, then the next round you will knit all the sts including the yarn overs. So as you go the frequency between YO increases by one. This way it will lay flat.

That will make a nice lovely blanket.  I'm going to bookmark that for the future.

If this still doesn't make sense. You can look things up on Knittinghelp.com to get some videos.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jacklad
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007 08:47:55 PM »

1. how do you "knit around"? is that just knitting the stitches that are there or is it something special?

It's just knitting the stitches that are there.

2. how do you get 10 stitches in the next round if you start with 5 and only put 1 stitch in each stitch?

Poorly worded - it means you knit the stitch and make one (yo increase) one stitch in each stitch. It doubles the number of stitches.

I think it's just a typo
help would be greatly appreciated! i'm just not comprehending very well! Smiley
thanks!

It might help to take a look at the Octagonal Swirl dishcloth at http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html. Yes, it's a dishcloth, but the concept is the same and may clarify things for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dmoney79
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007 06:58:03 AM »

Poorly worded - it means you knit the stitch and make one (yo increase) one stitch in each stitch. It doubles the number of stitches.

for the baby blanket here:
http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm
it says:
Cast on 5 stitches, knit around. Place a marker to mark the beginning of the round.

isn't an m1 (make 1) increase different than a yo? i thought m1 was either knit into front and back of one stitch, or, the one where you pick up something from the row below? if they meant yo as the increase in that round, wouldn't they have said *k1, yo* like it's written for round 5? i've never knit this blanket, but from what i've seen from pictures, it doesn't look like the yo's start that soon...

i could be wrong tho....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-=danielle=-

~one day i stopped wanting anything at all, the heavens opened up like a waterfall~ *glen phillips*

~ahh music, a magic beyond all we do here~ *albus dumbledore*

http://www.myspace.com/onelitlgrl
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/knittingchick
http://deedlesneedles.blogspot.com
Citrus_Crafter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007 07:14:23 AM »

Quote from: dmoney79
isn't an m1 (make 1) increase different than a yo? i thought m1 was either knit into front and back of one stitch, or, the one where you pick up something from the row below? if they meant yo as the increase in that round, wouldn't they have said *k1, yo* like it's written for round 5? i've never knit this blanket, but from what i've seen from pictures, it doesn't look like the yo's start that soon...

Yeah, a make 1 (m1) increase is where you take the bar between stitches, pick it up, place it on the needle, and knit through the back loop to twist it properly (knitting into the front and back is an increase 1/ inc 1).  The pattern wording is still confusing though, since it says "make 1 in each stitch", but m1 increases technically aren't IN a stitch per se, you make a new one using the bar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007 07:34:21 AM »

#1 - they left off the "join to knit in the round" - be careful the stitches don't get twisted - knittinghelp.com as mentioned before will help.

#2 - knit one then "make one" - two options knit in the front and back of each stitch OR lift the bar between stitches and knit it - again knittinghelp.com has videos.

#3 - when I made this I assumed that was a typo (if you look at the closeup you can see there aren't any extra rounds before the increase yo's start) and should have been Round 3 - basically the pattern is:

Round 3: *K1, YO* around
Round 4: and all even rows: K
Round 5: *K2, YO* around
Round 7: *K3, YO* around
Round 9: *K4, YO* around
Continue in this manner until the blanket is as big as desired - bind off.

I used Magic Loop rather than double points.

It is a fun blanket but all that just plain knitting can get boring - good TV project. Lots of folks have mixed it up by changing colors in a bullseye manner, adding a round of eyelets (k2tog,yo - make sure you di it on a round with an uneven number of stitches between the increase yo's) or a couple of rounds of garter ridges or other stitch. Do a Google Image or Flickr search for "Pinwheel baby Blanket" to see lots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007 07:42:30 AM »

The first increase round should be either kfb or M1 between stitches, not a yo. That's how you increase after the first round. And you can continue to kfb or M1 instead of YO if you don't want the holes. It still looks like a pinwheel.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Homemade Nourishing Pumpkin Mask
Rihanna on Launching Her New Fragrance "Nude"
Look Like A Million Bucks, Without Breaking The Bank
Can a Laser Comb Regrow Hair
Recommended Shampoos for Hair Loss Treatment
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...