A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm a little bit country...  (Read 1764 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

runyerpockets77

I'm Mean Looking.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2007 12:41:55 PM »

But still Rock N Roll.

A while back my cousins gave me some button up shirts that I will never wear.  They're from American Eagle though so I didn't wanna give them up.  I decided to start adding western yokes to them!  Its not hard and now they will actually be worn.

Here is my first.

The fabric, Blue shirt & a lighter blue (its not as light as it looks in the picture) floral fabric.

Sorta front shot (you get the idea and the yoke is on both sides)

And the back.

I'm thinking of putting the lighter fabric around the top of the pocket and the cuffs later on.  I bought half a yard of the floral and still have a ton of it.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shesxautomatic

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007 03:48:59 PM »

hahha what a fantastic idea! now all you need to do is embroider some semi trucks on it.

how did you add the western yokes? did you cut out the shapes from the original shirt, or just sew the lighter pieces directly on top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

www.lladybird.wordp ress.com
www.wickedtomatofac tory.etsy.com
AwesomeLikeCookies
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007 05:01:45 PM »

thats a very nice shirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
speuterfreak
I love pitbulls!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007 06:34:17 PM »

how did you add the western yokes? did you cut out the shapes from the original shirt, or just sew the lighter pieces directly on top?

I'm wondering the same thing as well...?

What a brilliant idea!  I've gotta try this soon.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please spay and neuter your pets!!!
runyerpockets77

I'm Mean Looking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007 07:11:13 PM »

The shirt originally didnt have the yokes.  I decided to have it come down 5 inches from the collar in the front (so thats where my front point is) and so it wouldn't mess with the pocket.  I then traced the shape I wanted onto a piece of paper to make a pseudo pattern.  When I did the other side I just flipped the first piece over so it'd be the same.  When I did the back there was a straight yoke that went down 5 inches.  So I went down 6 and didnt have the curves come back up over an inch.  I then just sorta pieced it together.

I sewed the shoulder together first to hide any stitching, I think that was really good idea.  Its not that hard, it'll seem really weird at first but mine came out fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007 07:38:22 PM »

this is too cool .. my bf has been bugging me to do this to soemof his shirts .. Now that he sees its possible .. hes gonna flip !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runyerpockets77

I'm Mean Looking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007 08:07:05 PM »

this is too cool .. my bf has been bugging me to do this to soemof his shirts .. Now that he sees its possible .. hes gonna flip !

Its really not hard.  I've been wanting to do it to some of my boys shirts and he won't give em up...so I did it to mine.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shesxautomatic

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007 10:05:03 AM »

The shirt originally didnt have the yokes.  I decided to have it come down 5 inches from the collar in the front (so thats where my front point is) and so it wouldn't mess with the pocket.  I then traced the shape I wanted onto a piece of paper to make a pseudo pattern.  When I did the other side I just flipped the first piece over so it'd be the same.  When I did the back there was a straight yoke that went down 5 inches.  So I went down 6 and didnt have the curves come back up over an inch.  I then just sorta pieced it together.

I sewed the shoulder together first to hide any stitching, I think that was really good idea.  Its not that hard, it'll seem really weird at first but mine came out fine.

still a little confused. i guess what i'm asking is did you cut the yoke shape out of the original button-up and then add yr own yoke, or did you just put yokes on top of the button-up as is? kind of like a fabric sandwhich, if you will. if you were to rip the yokes off the shirt right now, would you still have a whole blue shirt? or a blue shirt with cut-out yoke shapes?

does that make sense?
i think i confused myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

www.lladybird.wordp ress.com
www.wickedtomatofac tory.etsy.com
runyerpockets77

I'm Mean Looking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007 03:57:35 PM »

still a little confused. i guess what i'm asking is did you cut the yoke shape out of the original button-up and then add yr own yoke, or did you just put yokes on top of the button-up as is? kind of like a fabric sandwhich, if you will. if you were to rip the yokes off the shirt right now, would you still have a whole blue shirt? or a blue shirt with cut-out yoke shapes?

does that make sense?
i think i confused myself.

I just sewed the yoke on top of the existing shirt.  The fabric is all really thin so it wasn't really a problem...and I think if I cut the yoke off it wouldn't have came out how I wanted, it would have been a disaster for me.  So yeah, Fabric Sandwich.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Richard Ford On His New Book Canada
James Bunting Performs His Poem "Conkers"
Everything You Know About the Economy Is Wrong
Karen Kingsbury’s The Bridge Book Teaser
Hilary Weisman on Her Novel Reunited
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...