A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a question about boning- stop snickering! i'm serious!  (Read 685 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atomic mary
« on: June 12, 2007 10:04:22 AM »

i'm so juvenile Cheesy
okay i am a busty girl (32G) and recently found a strapless bra in my size! i have been making a few strapless dresses and tops (oh the freedom! it's amazing!) without using any boning because i don't know if when making a boned garment the boning would go up over the bust?
would the seams sit smooth? because they don't get clipped then, right?
or would i do it to just under the bust? i have a hard enough time getting the bust seams to lie flat as it is. would it even help? most of my things are not lined either, some are but not everything because of having a hard time getting each side even and similar.
i have also toyed with the idea of a corset but i think i am more looking for a bustier. does anyone know of any patterns for such a thing?
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks,
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007 06:35:36 PM »

If a garment has boning it is usually requested in the notions.  That is not to say that boning cannot be added to the garment.  It is added on the seams and, yes it can go over the bustline in a garment that is princess with no shoulders.  MOre often it is in the side seams and back.  The boning is usually applied in an inner liner.  There is a lining next to the body and a linng that houses the boinintg and then the outer fabric.  The ends of the boning are cut in a circular fashion at the top to avoid sewing them in the seams and to prefent ware.  Sometimes they also have a piece sewn down over the top to avoid wear at the edges of the fabric.  If the boning ends at the waist and there is no waistline, the inner lining is then attached to the garment to keep the boning from riding up.  It can extend into the hip area but often does not extend to the seat. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Panophobic
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007 10:19:45 AM »

this has nothing to do with your questions, but if you wanted an alternative to strapless bras under dresses, some of my boobier friends have told me that having boning or a corset in place of a bra is more comfortable.

I'd say to get used to sewing boning, try finding a pattern that calls for it rather than making up your own and start with that, just so you can see how it's done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007 10:26:46 PM »

I'm a DD.
I have a few corsets, and a tudor dress with boning in the bodice. I think it depends on what sort of a look you're going for, but I'd suggest keeping the boning over the breasts. Check out Ren faire and SCA websites online - there's a wonderful Elizabethan corset pattern somewhere, for free! You just type in the measurements,  get yourself some broadsheet newspaper, a text and tape measure, and you can have your own customised pattern (The Elizabethan ones do tend to give you that whole "boobs on a platter" look though, not sure if that's what you're after...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
Alyzen
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007 11:24:52 AM »

I think this http://www.elizabethancostume.net/custompat/index.html is the website aphie was talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Post apocalyptic, steampunk, tribal fusion clothing and accessories.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/apocalipsca
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Garlic Mashed Potatoes
How to Make Chicken Marinade
How to Make Butter Sauce
How to Make a Philly Cheese Steak with Cheez Whiz
How to Cook Salmon with Vegetables
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...