A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: altered cooking/sewing books  (Read 2776 times)
Tags for this thread: book_purse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

just_lisa
« on: June 12, 2007 09:34:17 AM »

Hi!  This is my very first post ever! Cheesy I'm so excited!  My mom used to own these books, so when i saw them at a junk store I knew I had to make these purses.  Only thing is my mom and mom in law think they are too small  Undecided  Guess they are used to carrying something more like a suitcase Wink  what do you all think?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008 02:08:13 PM by lisateacher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RikaHeart
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

" If the world is made of light and darkness..."

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007 01:53:27 PM »

I love it! They look like great little kits to take with sewing. Can you put a tutorial up or perhaps teach me how you did it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susankg53
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007 02:53:13 PM »

you know that is an excellent idea to use it as a kit. My wheels are turning, creative thoughts are flowing. Thanks for the idea RikaHeart and for the cool purse lisateacher.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mizua

sanity is overrated.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007 03:39:56 AM »

That is so cool! I don't see how those are considered too small. =) I love the fabrics you used for the side panels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

signatures are for nerds Grin
Mimi055
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007 06:21:18 AM »

Cute purses!! I don't think they are too small.  I love the fact you used the bamboo handles.  Was it hard to attach the handles.  I still want to make a book purse, even have the books, but just not made one yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mAsQuErAdInG aS A nOrMaL pErSoN eVeRyDaY iS eXhAuStInG!!!
just_lisa
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007 11:29:13 AM »

I will post some pictures of how I attached the handles.  It might take me a couple days though.  I found the book I want to use next, but I have to get the right fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

distractedlily
"Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007 05:31:28 AM »

Grin Truly awesome!!!! I just love books, especially cookbooks or crafty books, that remind me of when I was child...  Great idea and beautiful work!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just_lisa
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007 11:49:22 AM »

sorry for the long delay in posting this.  Life has a nasty way of intruding sometimes. 

the first thing I did was use a screwdriver to pry the center 3 ring metal thingy out of the books.

then I cut 4 - 3" pieces of ribbon and threaded them through the metal rings on the purse handles.  I used e-6000 to glue the ribbon closed

I stood my book up and traced around the outside edges to make a rough pattern for the triangle side pieces.

EWWW! I spilled my pepsi on my pattern!  sorry  - it looks disgusting!

I cleaned up my pattern, made sure the edges were all straight and even, and added a 1/2" seam allowance to each side.Then I cut 4 side pieces. 

I measured the inside of my book, added 1/2" seam allowance again and cut out 2 pieces

I measured 2" in from each edge of my book and also marked the middle of the book.  I again used e-6000 to glue  the handles on and to glue the ribbon in the middle so I could tie it closed when it is done. 

Sew the top edges of the triangle pieces wrong sides together.  turn the fabric right side out so the seam is inside the two pieces .I usually sew along the edge one more time this way just to make it look more finished.  I don't sew the other sides of the triangle, I just iron on the line where I would sew and use that to glue  the pieces to the book.

I use e-6000 and get some books or cans of food or something to stack on the outside of the each side of the purse to help hold it in the right place while the sides dry.  I also don't put any glue on the bottom little triangle area until every thing else is dry.

Now the book has the handles glued in, the center ribbon glued in and the triangle pieces glued in.

take the last 2 pieces that are the same size as the inside of your purse and iron your seam allowance towards the wrong side of the fabric.  I topstitch this on one long side and both short sides.  the other long side I leave unsewn because it is the bottom and won't be seen.

glue these side pieces into your purse, covering all of the other little bits and pieces and raw edges.  the unsewn side goes to the bottom.  I cover a piece of cereal box with some more fabric and stick that into the bottom. 

I know this is a lot of info and not many pictures, but if you need any help or if it is not clear enough anywhere let me know, I will be happy to answer or help out.   Now that life is semi-normal for me again it should not take as long for me to reply! Smiley   
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008 02:14:05 PM by lisateacher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tickle-me-emo
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007 12:31:14 PM »

thats ace! and looks so well made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
just_lisa
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007 12:46:09 PM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Monkey D Luffy from One Piece Manga
How to Draw Mulan
How to Draw Timon from the Lion King
How to Draw Roronoa Zoro from One Piece Manga
How to Draw Stewie from Family Guy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...