A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i need some honest opinions  (Read 1433 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissyMafia
« on: June 12, 2007 08:56:06 AM »

so all of my friends and family swear that they love the jewelry i make.

i did one craft fair a couple months back, and i did decently, i guess, based on the turnout.

but i need some honest to goodness comments and criticisms.

what do you think of this stuff? i'm only posting 4 examples for now, hoping that whatever you say will help me out for the rest.

thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

octopickle.etsy.com
Mlsocci74
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007 09:04:26 AM »

I think they are great and I adore the ring!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theblackplague
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007 09:14:18 AM »

I love that last bracelet, it's absolutely gorgeous!  The great thing about that type is that nothing has to be exact, and you can always make it in different colors.  It would also look great as an anklet or a necklace, if you made longer ones.  I hope we'll be seeing more of your jewelry soon  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007 09:26:59 AM »

I am over 40, and when I shop for earrings, I want something with a stud, not a wire. Everyone does wires. (After 30 or so years of having that pierced hole, you get an unattractive creased look. Hence the desire for a stud.)

Your stuff looks fine for the younger crowd, but us more mature ladies like bling too. It seems to me at these craft fairs that everything is targeted towards the 20-something crowd. Problem is there are MORE 40-something people around. Maybe by broadening your target market you get get more business??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's a real burn, being right so often" - Malcomb Reynolds

Some of my illustrations:
http://www.dreamstime.com/easystreet_portfolio_pg1
My greeting card store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/easystreet
adirtyspoon
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007 09:30:57 AM »

ok I'm totally honest then . . .

the earrings are a little bland, I'm not saying they're ugly, cause they're not they're just kinda a generic earring. The craftsmanship is great thought, they do look professional. Maybe to spice them up a bit try them in gold or even copper to be different. I sell my jewelry at craft fairs and stuff and every piece I've sold in the last year has been gold or copper. Everyone ignores the silver now. Also I've kinda noticed older people like gold better, and alot of senior citizens love fancy dangly earrings but don't have pierced ears so always take clip on findings with you so if they see a pair of earrings they like, you can take off the hook, and put on a clip!

Everything else is great though! The wire wrap pendant is always pretty and different, as is the bracelet. I LOVE all kinds of wire wrapped stuff.

And the ring? well if you don't have a use for it I'll take it! LOL Did you make the band? how the heck did you do it? my bands always come out shoddy looking and crooked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007 09:40:22 AM »

If these are representative of your work as a whole, I would suggest that you work on the design side of things and maybe get some more complex wire skills. Your work is very neat and well-made and you obviously have a good eye for colour and shape. However, if you'll excuse my bluntness, your designs are a little on the simple side. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, a lot of people really like simple, easy-to-wear designs, but they can be a little generic - there's not a lot of individuality in them.
If you don't know these sites already, I like Eni Oken and Remy Heath's pages (click on their names!) for inspiration - they also have tutorials, some free, some which you have to pay for. Don't take a tutorial as "you must do this piece" - look at it as a way to pick up new ideas, and put a little more of you into your designs. You obviously have the ability, so experiment like crazy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissyMafia
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007 09:45:19 AM »

thanks for so much positive feedback!! =)
i am planning on making some stud earrings.. i actually just bought a pack of studs last week. i know how to make cute, hip, "young" ones, but i bought them with a more mature audience in mind, and i'm not sure what to do with them yet.
i know my stuff is simple, thats just the style that i prefer to wear myself, but getting a bit fancier couldn't hurt, could it? i'll definately loo k into it!
i also have a lot of gold earrings and bracelets on my... very popular craft website who's name i'm not allowed to mention because it would be advertising.

any more comments and criticisms would be GREATLY appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

octopickle.etsy.com
adirtyspoon
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007 09:47:56 AM »

Another great place to get ideas are InStyle magazine and fragments.com. If I have never gone to that site I would have never ever thought to use large holes rondelles to link jump rings together to make a chain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Jade**
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007 01:06:02 PM »

Everything you showed is beautiful the only thing I could suggest is to try and step out the box a little. I see a lot of GREAT well made things at craft fairs but I'm always a little disappointed because they are all relatively the same. So keep the same great quality that it appears you have but throw something in there that isn't expected. I hope this helps Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007 04:41:26 PM »

I love them!!!

Really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Benefits of Comic Books to Children
A Brief History of Comics
The Contribution of Recessions to Creativity
How Internet Ruins Graphic Designing
Milton Glaser on the I Love New York Logo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...