A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,662
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: :'( I was so sad, frustrated, and disappointed I couldnt make a shawl, updated!  (Read 2291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pryor208
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007 11:02:12 AM »

It might just be easier to do a plain double crochet stitch and make a rectangle. Or you could double-crochet in one stitch, chain one, and skip one space, double crochet in next space...this would make sort of a mesh look. Depends on how warm you need it to be. Just chain the number of stitches you want the shawl to be (hold up your chain and see how long it will be from one arm to the other, then add a few more stitches to allow for a little shrinkage when you start the double-crochet). Then do as many rows as you like of either plain ole double crochet or the alternating double crochet/chain one pattern I put above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007 11:40:43 AM »

GAUGE:

15 sts and 8 rows = 4 inches with size H (5mm) crochet hook. Everyone tends to crochet to their own tension, despite the same yarn and hook size (the 5mm). Some people crochet tighter than others, some do it looser. You can google 'gauge'. But basically, if you crochet tighter than the number of stated stitches and rows, your shawl will be smaller. In order to get it the right size, you will have to get a larger hook (like 5.5 mm or 6.0mm). If your gauge is looser, your shawl will be bigger than measurements specified and you might have to go down a size or two hooks (like 4.5mm and 4.0mm)

BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. The instructions tell you to do this so that you don't write and complain to the pattern designer unnecessarily. If you didn't check your stitches to make sure that they fit the gauge, you can't blame them if your shawl comes out larger or smaller.
NOTES:

Chain 2 at end of each row counts as 1 dc.  <---I dont know what that means> the 2 chains at end of each row counts as one double crochet which is expressed in the knitting pattern below. 

SHAWL [worked over a multiple of 11 sts + 1 extra st] <--what?Huh Huh Basically, it takes a certain amount of stitches to make a pattern. So double crochet in third chain from hook, double crochet in next 4 chains, skip next 2 chains, double crochet in next 4 chains should add up to 11 stitches+1 =12

Chain 91 This is basically 8 repeats of 11 plus 3 stitches

Row 1 1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in next 4 ch, skip next 2 ch, dc in next 4 ch; *3 dc in ch, dc in next 4 ch, skip next 2 ch, dc in next 4 ch; repeat from * to last ch, 2 dc in last ch. Ch 2, turn.

This is the first row: double crochet in 3rd chain from hook, double crochet in next 4 chains, skip next 2 chains, double crotchet in next 4 chains.

The asterick (*) means that you will be repeating the instructions behind it (3 double crochet in chain, double crochet in next 4 chains, skip next 2 chains, double crochet in next 4 chains) until the last chain, 2 dc in last chains. Chain 2, turn (as in, you'd have finished your row on the 'front' of the crochet,) now you'll start on the second or 'back' row, so you have to 'flip' your work.

Row 2 1 dc in first dc, dc in next 4 dc, skip next 2 dc, dc in next 4 dc, *3 dc in next dc, dc in next 4 dc, skip next 2 dc, dc in next 4 dc; repeat from * to last dc, 2 dc in turning chain. Ch 2, turn.

Row 2 - this is the second row that completes the pattern. 1 double crochet in first double crochet (the first row), double crochet into next 4 double crochet, skip next 2 double crochet, double crochet in next four double crochet. Repeat the instructions behind the asterik (3 double crochet into next double crochet.... etc, to last double crochet, 2 double crochet into turning chain, chain 2, turn (you'll be flipping to the 'right' side this time)

Rep row 2 until piece measures 60 inches from beg. Fasten off and weave in ends. You won't be doing row 1 anymore, just repetitions of row two (turning at the end of each row) until it's long enough, then finish off

Here are some links which might be helpful:

http://www.karpstyles.com/crochet/crochet-abbreviations.html

http://learntocrochet.lionbrand.com/

You might have to register with lionbrand, but it's very helpful.

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '_____________________________________________________')

Ach, sweetie, don't be frustrated. I think you'd be better off getting a 6mm hook, some pretty (and modest priced) worsted weight yarn and just do a rectangle. Chain until you get the desired length (about eighteen inches) and just double crochet until you think the shawl is wide enough.

Can you get Debbie Stoeller's Happy Hooker (it's a book on how to crochet) or vogues crochet book from your local library? It should help.

Or, you can get some terry cloth from Joanns or a nice soft cloth, either emboider or sew pretty appliques at the corners and gift it to your mum, and then crochet her a shawl in your own time.

Because you want the shawl to be so perfect for your MIL, you might be putting yourself under too much pressure.

Have a think and a pray on it.

Good luck to you. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007 02:29:35 PM by cranberry » THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007 12:11:32 PM »

Cranberry,
If I ever try to learn to crochet I'm coming to sit at your cyber-feet. You get stars in your crown today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007 12:53:31 PM »

thank you for doing this long listing cranberry. I do agree you earned stars in your crown for taking this time.........

I am going to look at those links now, thanks friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007 01:46:06 PM »

I love craftster -- you guys are so great to help with this. I just wanted to give you kudos. 

Brusinraincloud, I'm also happy to help if you need it. I can take pictures while doing the pattern if you get stuck some more. I know that pictures help some people way more than words.

Good luck and I'm sure that whatever you do, your MIL will know that it comes from you with love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
cranberry
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007 02:33:19 PM »

thank you for doing this long listing cranberry. I do agree you earned stars in your crown for taking this time.........

I am going to look at those links now, thanks friend.

Glad the instructions helped. I think crochet is easier than knitting to tell the truth. There are some decent resources around. I do recommend Debbie Stoeller's 'The Happy Hooker' in terms of how to crochet. She really deals with everything in a straight foward manner. You might want to wrap the cover of the book if you think the text is too rude (a few people are put off by the title), but the book is grand.

Cranberry,
If I ever try to learn to crochet I'm coming to sit at your cyber-feet. You get stars in your crown today.

McJulie, thanks for that. But really, crochet is easy. Much easier to click on to than knitting in some ways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007 03:41:06 PM »

yes, they are all little cheerleaders for us that are down, arent they?

thanks for coming to my rescue friends!

as soon as I get anything worth posting going, I will post

I dont know what I would do w/o yall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007 04:21:26 PM »

Cranberry, you are so freaking helpful! I would this rocks you, but you're not a completed project. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007 06:07:44 PM »

Cranberry definately needs major *snaps* for being such a jewel~!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007 06:10:54 PM »

drum roll please...

at long last............

the 'love shawl' for my MIL

I just 'made this up' as I went......

I hope she likes it!

thanks yall for all of the help....... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Braided Holiday Hair Tutorial
5 Things That Are Seriously Damaging Your Hair
How to Do a Sexy, Half-Up Hairstyle
Hair With Hollie: January Ponytail Refresh
How To Create A Braided Headband
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...