A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: easy beaded snowflake ornaments: tutorial (complete w/ photos)  (Read 82890 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project , ornament , wire  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katydid
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004 07:31:27 AM »

These are beautiful!

I was inspired, so I started on some last night. 

My question is, how do youget the spirals so perfect?  Maybe it was because I am new to using wire and bent nose pliers, but mine are pretty homely.  Do you wrap them around something, or is it a skill that comes with practice?

Thanks for posting this!

kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004 08:04:18 AM »

These are beautiful!

I was inspired, so I started on some last night. 

My question is, how do youget the spirals so perfect?  Maybe it was because I am new to using wire and bent nose pliers, but mine are pretty homely.  Do you wrap them around something, or is it a skill that comes with practice?

Thanks for posting this!

kate

practice, definately.  and i'm not sure, but bent nose pliers sound different than round-nose pliers, which make it easier to get a nice rounded spiral...i just start with the tip of the wire and wrap a tiny circle around the smallest paryt of the pliers, then hold on tight to bend the wire around and around in bigger loops until spiral shaped, if that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katydid
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004 08:29:33 AM »

That helps!  thanks!

Bent nose are like round nose, but the tips curve out.  They may be more for jewlery making, actually...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004 08:32:37 AM »

my pliers are all for jewelry making too.  i wonder what the bent nosed ones are for specifically?
glad that helped Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katydid
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2004 11:46:19 AM »

I think they are for approaching things from a different angle - like doing work from the side instead of straight on?   

They seemed to work well with the spirals - I just need a lot more practice  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greeneyeses007
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2004 03:08:27 PM »

oh dear, i've gone and plugged my least favorite company...

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BEAD SHOP!!! (if you can at all afford to)

and i f you're really truly broke, i understand...and i will send a kit with beads and wire to the first 7 people who pm me their address.

no joke.  if it'll prevent another dollar going to walmart, it will have been worth it:)

Walmart is all I can get to unfortunately. I live in a little town with nothing in it (except for stuff like walmart) and the shops always go out of business here so fast. If I had a bead shop where I live, I would soooo shop there. *vows to move to the city*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting blog? guilty.
http://www.yarntastic.blogspot.com
Are you tall? Do your shirts never fit? Come on over to tall girl knitting! http://tallgirlknitting.blogspot.com
Mizbehaving
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004 08:26:09 PM »

Woohoo!  Thank you thank you!  I have a whole Christmas tree dedicated to nothin' but Snowflakes and icicles!!!  I will definately be making some of these for my treeee! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The voices in my head hate you!
aprilkiss
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2004 11:21:13 AM »

inspired to make some ornaments.  but, couldn't get that cute little knot in the middle, i think my wire gauge was too thick...used a mirror and a gluegun to cover the mess...then painted the mirror with glass paint.
sorry for the craptastic pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.zeldasfitz.blogspot.com
"papa was a rodeo,
mama was a rock n roll band..."
mlle_rachelmarie

Writing my dissertation in 15 minutes a day.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2004 06:05:55 AM »

Love the spirals!  I tried making one with the wire I have, but it was too thin for the twirls.  Great idea for the middle knot, which worked beautifully.  Here's my version:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog about my Paris life, books, and artsy crafty things: http://www.craftyrachel.com
misshaleyjayne
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2004 10:38:21 AM »

I tried making these with the 24 gauge wire you suggested...but had such a mess trying to knot it. I've botched about 3 but got 2 to work alright by giving up and just smooshing the knot down to make it look a little neater. (I might have to glue something over it like aprilkiss, cute idea!) Is there some trick to knotting wire that I'm not getting? Your's look so perfect in the pics...how did you do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Worst Dressed With Petra Nemcova
Wear Black and White For the Holidays and Stand Out
A Sexy and Affordable Solution for What to Wear on Date Night
How to Choose the Perfect Coat for Fall
How to Straighten Your Shirt Collar with a Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...