A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitting needles?  (Read 3033 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2007 06:34:02 AM »

As a newbie I have some questions:First what size needles would anyone recogmend to start learning how to knit?And second how does one start to learn how to knit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007 06:51:58 AM »

US size 10.5 is a good size to start with. look for something inexpensive this way if you don't like it you won't lose a lot. Susan Bates makes decent needles and look for a needle that looks like this (you'll find needles with double points or connected with a cord, stay away from those until you're comfortable with the standard straight needles)

and a good site to visit for video tutorials is http://www.knittinghelp.com

some good books to learn with
Stitch'n Bitch by Debbie Stoller (known as SnB on here)
The Knitting Answer Book
Knitting for Dummies

to get someone to teach you... hit up a local yarn shop (LYS), most have classes or someone there will be happy to sit down with you to show you what to do. use this site http://www.woolworks.org/stores.html to find an LYS in you area.

and most big box craft stores (JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, AC Moore) have knitting classes for really super cheap.

or find a local SnB group! on this page, http://www.stitchnbitch.org/snb_groups.htm you'll find a pretty long list of active knitting groups worldwide.

and if you get stuck... you can always post a question on here and we'll be happy to help you out! (or you can message me

good luck!

ETA: i never took a class. my mom taught me when i was 7, and i've been knitting ever since (i'm 25).  i perfected my technique and broke my bad habits using the knittinghelp.com videos and the SnB books. and when i get really stuck, i refer to The Knitting Answer Book (which is just small enough to keep in my WIP bag)

and i second bamboo b/c it's sticker than metal or plastic needles. but if she starts off knitting too tight, it might hinder her.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007 08:25:15 AM by isisfae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Petunia0384
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007 08:04:25 AM »

As a newbie I have some questions:First what size needles would anyone recogmend to start learning how to knit?And second how does one start to learn how to knit?

I agree with the person above - 10.5 is a good size.  You might want to try ones that are made of bamboo.  I tried metal and plastic first, and I was just about to forget the whole thing when I discovered bamboo.  The stitches don't slip around as much.  The needles are more expensive, but I think they're completely worth it.

I also second Knitting for Dummies and Stitch'n Bitch to learn.  That's what I used to start, and now I'm taking a class at Michael's to improve my technique (and break my bad habits). Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
Lady Clare
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007 08:30:52 AM »

Someone told me to try the size ten too and I found them awkward- but I also just found straight needles awkward. I tried and tried to get it and didn't until I switched to size 7 circular needles. I still cannot use straights...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007 08:38:43 AM »

lady clare--- i use circular needles for everything too. but i've been knitting for years and years so i'm used to the smaller needles and how compact knitting on circulars can be. i use circulars so much now that straights, even short straights just don't feel right anymore

*shrugs* 10.5 is a bit awkward for me too, but it's easier to learn on a large needle like that so you can see your stitches in the fabric and get a handle of how to use the needles. i have issues using anything smaller than a 6.  Undecided

but she shouldn't get the long straight needles, the short needles are the best. hell, one of those "learn to knit kits" would be a great option, she'll get needles, yarn, an easy pattern and a how to guide.f
THIS ROCKS   Logged

photojenn
Clothing Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007 08:56:37 AM »

or find a local SnB group! on this page, http://www.stitchnbitch.org/snb_groups.htm you'll find a pretty long list of active knitting groups worldwide.

Thank you so much for posting this, I had no idea there was a SnB group in my city!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007 10:51:20 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this, I had no idea there was a SnB group in my city!

no worries!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007 12:24:18 PM »

I personally teach everyone who asks me to on size US 8 needles. 10 is far too big in my opinion....You get a lot of fluff, and instant gratification, sure, but I don't think you get to learn as easily all the form you need to.

I always go with size 8's. I was taught that size 8 was the "middle of the road" needle, the absolute medium, so to speak. Not too big, not too small. The goldilocks of needles, if you will.

But, everyone has different preferences. The key is to find something you're comfortable with to learn on. If you want to torture yourself and learn on size 0's, by all means, go ahead. But 10.5's work as well.

I just don't reccomend using those horrid size 55's for anything. Ever. Especially learning. Like knitting with baseball bats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007 12:26:33 PM »

i love my size 50s!!!!

when i got them i lost my voice from a bad cold, so i whispered to my dad "i may speak softly, but i knit with big sticks!" he almost fell over laughing!

they're great for making instant gratification blankets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007 07:25:34 PM »

I use 8s.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Filet Mignon Crostini Recipe for Thanksgiving
How to Make Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese
How to Make Hash Browns
How to Make Hush Puppies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...