A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 3741: The Skulls-n-Roses Dress  (Read 28702 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , skull , simplicity_3741 , craftster_best_of_2007 , rose , alexander_henry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2007 03:07:02 PM »

In this post I asked for help picking a dress pattern. I wear skirts pretty often, but I never wear dresses, and I was looking for help to find something flattering for a busty girl, which also made an impact.

After a lot of input from people here and at Pattern Review, I made a choice and as of last night finally finished the dress! I'm starting a new thread because I wanted to address the specific patterns I used.

But first, pics! Even though I wore the outfit out last night, I only photographed it on Heddy my dummy. It fits me better. I wore it with mid-calf lace-trimmed black leggings and black/white polka dot wedge heels.

I chose Simplicity 3741 view C, which I probably wouldn't have even looked twice at if someone else hadn't pointed it out to me. After picturing it in the Alexander Henry "Born to Ride" fabric I chose -- and recognizing how simple the pattern would be to sew -- I picked it up.

I wear 16/18 in ready to wear, and I picked size 22 for this pattern. I was shocked to find that it fit me just about perfectly! I did make a couple of changes, primarily the width and location of the straps. I made them wider and angled inward at the back in order to follow along with the bra I intended to wear with the dress. Oh I also ditched the lapped back zipper because it seemed over-complicated and unnecessary. Once I had the straps in place, I also found that the length seemed kind of short to do a regular hem. I probably wouldn't have anyway because I hate hemming and I love bias tape, but this will be something for people to keep in mind -- I'm about 5'5" and BEFORE hemming, view C hit just above my knee.

Also, there's that little gather in the front there. That's not originally part of the pattern, but after I got the facing in and topstitched (maybe I shouldn't have?), the top edges were doing this weird sticky-outy thing. I started pinching the dress in various places to see what I could do to get it to flatten out, and gathering that little bit in the middle did the trick. As an added bonus, it gave me about another inch of cleavage.

The bolero jacket is from Simplicity 3748 also made in size 22. I have slightly disproportionately larger upper arms (at least I think so) and I'm very happy to say that this jacket fit me beautifully and I believe sits just as it's supposed to. It's an extremely easy pattern EXCEPT for when it comes time to line the sleeves. More than likely, this is cake to people who have done this before... but I never have, and the instructions made ZERO sense. I just kind of hacked around with it until it made sense, though, flipped it around and voila. Marvelous.

I'm very pleased with how this came out. It's a topic a lot of people have been talking about lately -- flattering summer dresses for bigger girls, which don't look either blobby or holly-hobby. I think this one does the trick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007 03:08:55 PM »

Smiley That is fabulous! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
koala lou
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007 03:37:32 PM »

That's a gorgeous dress :-) I love the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A Capitol Idea
<3<3<3

hey unloving, I will love you<3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007 03:48:15 PM »

Wow. I like it a lot. and I LOVE the fabric. Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come join my disposable camera swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=185390.0
6/100 ATC Themes
Personal Swap Crazy! PM me!
Kedrock
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007 07:27:39 PM »

Wow.  That's really well done.  It is great to see the dress done up in cool fabric instead of the boring one on the pattern package.  Thanks for your detailed review--it's helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~Girl-in-Green~
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007 07:29:18 PM »

i like the fabric choice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007 10:11:40 PM »

That's an awesome dress! Love the fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
daisyannissa
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007 10:32:08 PM »

Cute! So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosemaryhill
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007 01:58:06 AM »

Great fabric choices! It's a very striking outfit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think I've been running with sissors my whole life! So nice to find someone else to run with!!!

www.lifeatrosemaryhill.blogspot.com
Daft Distaff

Vincent Price's Egg Magic (Feet Included)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007 09:52:30 AM »

That looks fantastic! Even if lining the sleeves was a pain, it was totally worth it! That little jacket would look great with any other black white or red dresses in your closet, if you wanted to tone it down a bit. But why would you want to tone down something that fabulous? And I can't believe how fast you finished it. I'd still be fooling around with the pattern if it were me. Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Particle Explosion Part 2/2 - Houdini Particles
How to Create Cloth Simulation - Houdini
How to Use Final Cut Pro Part 3/4
How to Create an Earth Scene Part 1/2 - Motion 3
How to Create an Earth Scene Part 2/2 - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...