A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 7 year old aspiring designer.....any sugggestions????  (Read 1061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykatt
« on: June 10, 2007 11:13:34 AM »

hi
i have a 7 year old aspiring designer....i have no knowledge in this....can anyone recommend a good book or kit for her?Huh
i was looking for something that she can use with fabric like there was in the 80's it was a barbie fashion designer but they don't make that anymore.....any help is truly appreciated...thank you -kittykatt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007 11:18:02 AM »

Well, you can let her fashion doodle and look at the fashion doodles in the Art section of Craftster. You can even let her look at high-end designers and let her think how they made it, construction, etc.

Then when she feels she is ready, you can let her make clothes. If she still isn't ready to construct a shirt from scratch, she can always reconstruct them and there are tons of tutorials on here.

Good luck to your seven-year-old. I would like to see what she makes. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
wonderbean
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007 11:20:17 AM »

Why not make a very simply dress with her. you can either work on the pattern together or get one from the store. Whichever way, i would suggest letting her make all the major decisions and then you restrain yourself from doing more than helping her execute them. That's at least what i do with my wee cousins.
g'luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things
-henry ward beecher
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007 12:02:22 PM »

Well, you can let her fashion doodle and look at the fashion doodles in the Art section of Craftster. You can even let her look at high-end designers and let her think how they made it, construction, etc.

Then when she feels she is ready, you can let her make clothes. If she still isn't ready to construct a shirt from scratch, she can always reconstruct them and there are tons of tutorials on here.

Good luck to your seven-year-old. I would like to see what she makes. Smiley
as WIPs said, have a look at the fashion doodling thread, here's the link http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=125725.0 there's so many different styles and illustrations and doodles throughout the whole thread.

You could always attempt to make one of her designs together out of old clothes Cheesy by showing her what you can do with old clothes will inspire her loads... If I'm being honest I only really discovered reconstruction last year when I joined craftster :s lol...

Sorry I've got no ideas tonight.. artists block, got too much work to do, but if I have any ideas I'll let you know.

xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
lil_abi
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007 05:35:22 PM »

I spent many years pre-patterns and recons sewing patchwork "crazy" quilted pillows from my mother's scrap pile.  Give her a scrap pile, teach her to use a mahine, and have at it.

Also, if/when she is comfortable with a machine, doll clothing is an excellent place to start.  The pieces are small, so they don't take much fabric or require long unending gathers/hems.  She can follow doll clothing patterns (I did cabbage patch clothing -- that dates me, I guess...) or make up her own.  It's pretty quick gratification, methinks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007 07:23:46 AM »

My daughters (ages 7-12) love to make doll clothes too. I've given them their own box of scraps, old clothes to cut up and they've learned to love the remnant section at Fabricland.  I also take buttons and such off of old clothes so making the doll clothes is very inexpensive. I taught my oldest DD to use the sewing machine and now she is teaching her younger sisters!

We managed to find some books that had basic patterns to photocopy which we scanned and printed for them. From there they just need to adjust the patterns to their imaginations and have loads of fun with it. Often their friends come over and they play "Fashion Designers" together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Gwynevere
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007 04:26:02 PM »

I remember my mom had a HUGE bag of elastic, ric-rak, etc. that she got for like a dollar tops at a yard sale... we created soo much stuff from that, and I think there's still some left Shocked

Of course, if she's thinking of something a little bigger than an elastic dress for a kelly doll.... I'd say be on the lookout for cheap fabric/remnants that she can mutilate all she wants, either with needle and thread and/or a sewing machine (if you think she's mature enough to handle it and if you're prepared to fix small things like bobbing problems, etc).

Also, look for books with patterns (I don't know what's out there, but I know they have like doll clothes and stuff) at your local library-it's free and a good place to start at the very least.

Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykatt
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007 09:06:16 AM »

wow....thats so great thanks you guys for the fabulous ideas...i was never lucky enuff to do that with my mom.....it sounds like really good advice and alot better than what you get out of a book or kit....
i will keep you posted.....with pics and updates Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carillia
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007 10:37:39 AM »

All the scrap fabric and doll clothing stuff is an excellent idea, but I though I'd chip in that if she wants to sew something for herself, Lambys Gothic Lolita Dress could be a very nice place to start. It's very easy, very  cute and gives a very nice start to understanding how patterns work. She might need a little help with the zipper, but other than that I think it's a great pattern for a little girl.

Also, I just want to add a little "YOU ROCK!" for supporting her the way you do. Can't wait to see what she makes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007 11:56:16 AM »

These are all great ideas.  I know I got my sewing start with remnants and doll clothes as well. 
One other suggestion if you want something that is actually a kit is Fashion Angels.  (http://www.fashionangels.com).  This company has paper dolls that come with fabric and patterns for designing clothes as well as other fashion related activity kits like a sketch pad that comes with doll silhouettes and clothing design templates.  Slightly more expensive than the remnant pile but I think these toys are quite fun.
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dramatic Wine Colored Lips at the Bibhu Mohatpatra SS 2014 Show
Punk Princess Inspired Makeup at the Nicole Miller SS 2014 Fashion Show
The Best New Beauty Products for February
How to Get a "No Makeup" Makeup Look
How Social Media and Phones Ruin Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...