A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 303,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From batt to bag...handspun entrelac(pic heavy!)*more progress pix added*  (Read 3311 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_preparation  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2007 06:18:43 PM »

Ok, here goes. I haven't actually finished this bag, but I'm too excited to wait! I'll post more pix when it's done. Which should only be a few more days. I just have to spin up a little more yarn.
First I started with some combed merino dyed in shades of baby blue and a deep brown color. Commercially dyed. then I added in a healthy dash of faux cashmere for softness and more depth of color. I've noticed that the yarn I'm spinning with this nylon cashmere is so pretty. It just seems to glow! I swear- almost looks like silk. I love it! and I love that it's only $1/oz too!

Here's the little rolag snails in a bucket all ready to be spun:

And here's the singles on the bobbin:

And a fun artsy pic in skein form:

Then I wound it by hand into a center pull ball. I use my swift that came free with my wheel, and a thick dowel as my noste.  I've never done entrelac before but have seen some gorgeous things.  And since I happened to have that issue of IK with euny's fab explanation of it, I went for it and haven't looked back! It's fun, albeit time consuming. I've tried to knit "backwards" like I know some people do, but it's just not for me!

So, here's how much I have so far.

I'm knitting on size 8 needles although the yarn is a single at about 8-9wpi. I wanted it to be a tighter knit because it's a bag. I'll definitely line it still, though, because of how entrelac is on the inside. Probably in brown.

Can you believe I'm thinking of gifting this bag? I've already spent sooo many hours getting it this far. I hope she appreciates the effort! Thanks for looking!

I finished knitting the bag. It's blocking right now:

I've also bought some fabric to use for the lining. The pinstripe will be the inside and the blue/green fabric with the circles will be for the inside pocket I think. I also got some matching ribbon if I need it for anything and some pretty grey buttons that match the lining fabric.  Which is also grey-ish. I figure it'll work fine, though, because where blue and brown mix they make grey. The bf approves anyway! =0) I hope to be done soon! I wish it would dry faster!

if anyone has any ideas for handles, I'm open to them. I got some neutral vinyl leather looking ones at work (joanns) but the color just doesn't work with the DARK brown in this piece. I'm thinking of going out to the leather store in the industrial area of portland. It's so fun there, and I'm sure they'd have something I could use. I've thought about ribbon or webbing or fabric, but I really want it to look as professional as possible. Let me know! thanks!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007 08:45:56 PM by patchworkarmy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't let the man get you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007 07:05:48 PM »

This is awesome! I love the idea of making something as completely from scratch as possible.

I also did some entrelac knitting for the first time this week while watching all my friends go crazy Wii bowling. I LOVE it. I've fallen out of knitting because I don't have a lot of time, but simple projects tend to bore me; Knitting up washcloths out of cotton yarn in entrelac is the perfect combo of small but interesting for me.

Great job!

"I look forward to continued immaturity followed by death."
- Dave Barry
My blog: http://unspunemily.livejournal.com

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007 07:30:53 PM »

oh man, I want to wii so bad! Is it fun? I bet it's awesome!
Yeah, I don't knit as much as I used to. Before I started spinning. I just love spinning more for some reason. Although it's these times where I make a yarn totally from scratch, except dying which I also do a fair amount of time, that make me feel so accomplished. Like, I conceived this, I fabricated the parts necessary, and I've made it come to life.
And then there's the times when you just think a few colors look pretty together and make yarn not knowing what it's going to end up being. I actually knit and ripped out a bunch of times before settling on entrelac. I just couldn't find a bag pattern I liked enough especially with a verigated yarn. cables? no. lace? no. this st pattern, that st pattern? no! I almost gave up I swear!

Thanks for the kind words! Grin

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007 09:34:46 PM »

I feel your pain! When the yarn is so perfect and something you made - and irreplaceable! - it's hard to let it become a finished object. Then it's hard to find a project worthy of the yarn.

I can't wait to see your bag when it's done! I never would have imagined how much I like those colors together.

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com

The Hobbledehoy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007 05:51:16 AM »

wow, what a gorgeous bag!  The pattern really shows your yarn off in a lovely way.

the shop:
the blog:
twitter along:

I'm generally open for fiber swaps!  PM me Cheesy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007 08:13:52 PM »

purty stuff!!!! Shocked

Apple & Tree

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Crafty Scientist

GEEK on so many levels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007 09:05:29 PM »

Entrelac with handspun is gorgeous.  I tried entrelac about a week ago, not my thing.  The combination of those two colors is fantastic!

If you don't knit, you must aquit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007 07:39:51 AM »

That's soooo pretty, I haven't atempted entralac before but it looks beautiful in this yarn. I love the way people post like this Cheesy Where it's like a picture story step by step almost Cheesy! Great Job.

I USED TO BE 007lucious_lips!!!!! I MOVED!

If you're happy and you know it say a swear; Boobs, Hiney, MITTENS!
Check out the blog for my photography and crafts...and don't forget silly high school drama
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007 02:33:06 AM »

Ohhhh amazing!! Smiley And I will never get tired of looking at cute little carded rolag snails. I love everything about this, the colour scheme, the yarn, the knitting...can't wait to see the bag!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007 08:26:04 AM »

such a beautiful bag! Grin

i write about knitting and spinning here: limesugar.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 8/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 9/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 7/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 2/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 9/10
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...