A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My fierce but friendly really Dragon - with pattern!  (Read 196629 times)
Tags for this thread: dragon , amigurumi , tutorial , crochet_pattern , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2007 11:59:56 AM »

After I started re-crocheting a couple of years ago, one of the first things I wanted to make was a dragon. I did it, and was very happy with it, but I didn't write out the pattern in full. Since then I've had so many people, seeing the pictures of it on Flickr, ask if they could have the pattern, and now I've finally done it! I've made another dragon (slightly smaller this time, I crochet much tighter now!), worked out the pattern, and tried to put it down in a way that makes sense. *I have now written out the pattern in full. You can download a PDF of it at the bottom of this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=380840.msg4506602#msg4506602 or at Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fierce-little-dragon*

I'm going to assume that anyone who tries to make this has a reasonable knowledge of crochet & making amigurumi, and that you know how to increase and decrease. So I am just going to write the number of stitches in each round and then explain any fiddly bits in more detail. Semi-colons ( ; ) separate the rounds, assume you start with chain 2 & crochet into the first stitch, or with a magic ring.

Use a 3.5mm (E) hook.
Use any yarn you like, you may need to increase the hook size if you use a very chunky yarn. Crochet tightly so that the stuffing wont show.
Mark the start of each row.
Stuff the body as you go along, not too tightly so that the dragon can bend its neck and tail.

Abbreviations:
inc 2 = do 2 sc in one stitch.
dec 2 = reduce 2 stitches down to one sc.
sc  = single crochet (US), double crochet (UK)
FO = finish off
st = stitch(es)
ch = chain
yoh = yarn over hook
ss = slip stitch (US), single crochet (UK)
hdc = half double crochet (US), half treble crochet (UK)
dc = double crochet (US), treble crochet (UK)

Start at the dragons nose:

Nostrils:
8 sc in ring, FO leaving a bit of a tail.
8 sc in ring, then sc into any stitch on the first ring and go all the way around both of them, ending up with 16 st. Use the tail to sew up any gap between the 2 parts.

Continue:
16; (do the following reductions at the middle top and middle bottom of the nose) 14; 14; 12; 10; (do the next 4 increases at the top to create the head) 14; 14; 14; (do the following decreases at the top) 12; 10; 8; 8; 8; (increase by one stitch anywhere) 9; 10; 10; 10; 11; 12; (do the next increase at the bottom to create the body) 18; 18; (increase every 3rd stitch) 24; 24; 24; (do the following increases at sides) 26; 26; 26; 28; 28; (do the following reductions at the sides, but a bit randomly, or there will be a distinct line) 26; 24; 22; 20; 18; 16; 14; 14; 12 x 11 rounds; 11; 11; 11; 10; 10; 10; 9; 9; 9; 8; 8; 8; 8; 7 x 10 rounds; 6; [If the tail doesnt look pointy enough, continue for 3 more rounds at 6 st, then 3 rounds at 5st] dec 2 x 2; FO and sew up when completely stuffed.

Back legs (make 2):
6 sc in ring; 12; 12; 12; 12; (6 sc, dec 2, dec 2, dec 2) 9; 9; 9; (6 sc, inc 2, inc 2, inc 2) 12; (inc 2 every 2nd st) 18; 18; 18; (3 sc, dec 2, dec 2, 4 sc, dec 2, dec 2, dec 2, 1 sc) 13; (2 sc, dec 2, dec 2, 2 sc, dec 2, 1 sc, dec 2) 9; (2 sc, dec 2, 2 sc, dec 2) 7 keep reducing every 2 st until the hole is too small to do any more. Stuff, then use cream/beige yarn to sew claws. Sew up top of leg.

Front legs (make 2):
5 sc in ring; 10; 10; 10; 10; (6 sc, dec 2, dec 2) 8; 8 x 6 rounds; keep reducing every 2 st until the hole is too small to do any more. Stuff, then use cream/beige yarn to sew claws. Sew up top of leg.

Spikes on back:
Small ch 3, sc into 2nd ch from hook, hdc into 3rd ch from hook, ch1.
Large ch 3, sc into 2nd ch from hook, yoh, hook into next ch, yoh and pull through st, yoh, pull through 2 loops, yoh, into same st, yoh and pull through st, yoh and through all loops on hook, ch1.

You make the spikes continuously. I did 3 small, 10 large, 3 small, missing out the last ch1 and leaving a tail of yarn to sew to the body. Adjust the number of spikes you make to fit along your dragons back from behind the eyes to the tip of the tail.

Wings (in numbered rows):
1) ch 16.
2) Miss 1st ch. 3 ss, 5 sc, 7 hdc, ch 2, turn.
3) 7 hdc, 5 sc, 3 ss, ch1, turn.
4) 3 ss, 5 sc, 7 hdc, ch 3, turn.
5) Miss 1st ch, 2 ss (to make claws), 7 hdc, 5 sc, 3 ss, ch1, turn.
6) 3 ss, 5 sc, 7 hdc, ch 2, turn.
7) 7 hdc, 5 sc, 3 ss, ch1, turn.
8 ) 3 ss, 5 sc, 7 hdc, ch 3, turn.
9 12) Repeat rows 5 8.
13) Miss 1st ch, 2 ss, 15 sc.
Then sc along the base of the wing and along the other side, ch3, turn, miss 1st ch, 2 ss to make last claw. FO leaving long tail. Use this to secure the last claw to the rest of the wing, then take thread through wing to its base, ready to sew onto body.

Ears:
Leave a long tail of yarn when you make your first loop.
Ch 6, turn.
Skip 1st st, sc, dc,sc,ss. Leave the last ch and ss up the other side of the ear to the tip. FO
Sew onto head, going over the last chain several times to create the brow bone shape.

Completing your dragon:

Sew the spikes along the back from just behind the ears to the tip of the tail.
Sew the legs on in the obvious positions. I sewed them by pulling the tail of yarn through and out of the side of the leg, at the top. Then sew the yarn several times into a small area on the body so that they are slightly jointed and can move about quite easily.

Sew on the wings slightly to either side of the spikes with the front edge about level with the front legs.

Embroider eyes or sew on beads for eyes. I embroidered a roughly diamond shape in a contrasting colour below the brow bone, then used black for the pupils so they looked a bit like cats eyes. If you want to use safety eyes, youll need to fix them in quite early, before you crochet the neck, or you wont be able to fit them.

I hope that all made sense, let me know if you have any questions.

I think my son has claimed him!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012 01:28:03 AM by Angry Angel - Reason: Add link to download on other Craftster post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007 12:40:05 PM »

That's cool and yes I think your son has claimed him too. I like the way you showed him before and after putting him together. Great job and thanks for giving the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
bellydancingknitter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007 01:01:14 PM »

This is REALLY REALLY COOL!!!
Now I'm imagining adding HarryPotter/Eragon themed details... and then have a dragon character mash up.
Hee!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cadillac.tramp
Born to Lose, Destined to Fail.

With a Golden Heart comes a Rebel Fist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007 01:06:00 PM »

Lovely little dragon and great tute...now only if I could crochet *le sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.

www.myspace.com/xboondockxsaintx
Cadmium_Red
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007 01:22:11 PM »

He's Brilliant!!! Thanks so much for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain
decarillion
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007 02:41:15 PM »

He is wonderful! Thank you for sharing your pattern with us Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007 02:49:49 PM »

wow thats awesome. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007 03:17:10 PM »

Thanks for the awesome pattern!

That's one cool dragon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
cynalune
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007 03:26:10 PM »

He's great!
Thanks for the pattern. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyTwilyte
The Geek

Who wants to sleep with the fishes?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007 04:21:40 PM »

*gasp!*

I saw a similar dragon like this on some website before. Thanks for the pattern! I know I'll make people jealous when I add this to my renaissance faire constume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

My current craft project: crochet domokun doll.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch Spencer Quinn Discuss His Chet and Bernie Series
Elizabeth Fremantle Introduces Us to Thomas Seymour
Reza Aslan on Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Hanns and Rudolf by Thomas Harding
Katherine Parr Talks About the Sixth Wife of Henry VIII
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...