A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Help with New Bike & Basket Cover  (Read 1415 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

akehurstm
« on: June 08, 2007 10:50:04 AM »

I just got a new bike yesterday, and I'm very excited. It's an Electra Townie 21. Best bike EVER!

I live in rainy Oregon, and for those of you who don't know, it can rain just about any time, even when it looks sunny. So, I'd like to make some sort of cover for my basket to protect the things inside it, in case this does happen. I was thinking maybe oilcloth? With elastic around the edges?

Suggestions would be really helpful!! Has anyone ever made something like this before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sk8grll

I love my mini tea set!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007 10:52:45 AM »

Sorry I can't help but I just wanted to say that i saw this bike at the bike store once and I sooo want it!! Tongue But I want it in pink! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace

Hi! I'm Kinnat Cheesy
I love making jewlery and purses.
I also love drawing people in powerpuff girl style Cheesy

I just started learning to sew and have made a couple of jumpers Cheesy
I also am learning to crochet at school and hope to finish making a scarf
akehurstm
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007 10:56:33 AM »

That's ok.. I wanted it in pink also. It's my favorite color. They have a pink version. A very ugly pink version. So ugly I opted for this color. But that's ok. I love it all the same. I think the color adds to the retro feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007 11:01:15 AM »

LOL, I have the pink Townie and I love it! It is the bike I should've had when I was 10 and all the 6 year olds in my neighborhood think I'm cool.  Roll Eyes  But I love my bike. I have the wicker basket, and a cover is a great idea. I was thinking of making a liner for my basket out of this fabric: http://www.freespiritfabric.com/core-pages/gallery.php?gal_id=74&sw_id=1567  Just to add to the pinky bike-ness. But it wouldn't be waterproof, which is an excellet idea. I use a hotel shower cap to protect my seat when it rains, maybe a larger version (an elastic oval) would work the same way for the basket?

*puts on thinking cap*

And congrats on your townie! They're so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
akehurstm
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007 11:05:54 AM »

I found this website on making bike seat covers out of oilcloth http://www.instructables.com/id/END0BNDF25MEEBI/?ALLSTEPS

And I thought I could do something similiar in the basket. I wish I could figure out how to make a liner than converts to a cover. But I don't know if that's possible..

Unless.... the liner folds down far enough with a drawstring cord.. then you could pull it up and cinch it tight to protect everything. It wouldn't work if you had big things (like bread loaf) hanging out the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007 11:18:51 AM »

Or maybe if it's wide enough you could take it out and turn it upside down. But I like your idea better! You could roll it down like a cuff around the top of your basket, and even use it to carry groceries or whatever. Now if only the little banana seat fabric came in oilcloth!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
akehurstm
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007 11:30:26 AM »

Mabye you can help.... here's a photo of me riding my bike with my matching chaco's...

If you notice on the right side of the picture, those huge black plastic pieces.. those are what hold the basket on, with a HUGE black plastic piece that wraps around the handlebars.. the bike shop I bought it from installed it, but I thought that was lot of plastic for a basket. It has a quick detach feature, but when you take it off, the bike is consume by this piece of black plastic, like you wouldn't want to ride without the basket. Is yours like this?

I checked on electra's website, and the images they show don't show this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

akehurstm
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007 11:34:43 AM »

I thought a pretty oil cloth like this one but with more turquoise would be good..

or like this

and it also comes in pink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007 11:40:01 AM »

Cute oilcloth! My basket just attaches with 2 leather straps and buckles. It's the one on the electra site but I got it from ebay (along with the tattoo heart bell  Wink ). I don't know why you have that plastic contaption. Can you remove it?  Huh  maybe it was an up-sell, or maybe it has some purpose? Can you go in there and ask if it's necessary?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
akehurstm
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007 11:44:48 AM »

They ordered my basket from electra.. but it just seems VERY excessive.Knowing that yours is not like that helps. I will ask them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Fresh Flower Foam
How to Beatbox: Cow Bell
Backgammon Doubling Cube
Backgammon Game: The End
Backgammon Board: Pieces And Parts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...