A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Popular Culture  (Read 6067 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , serenity , whedon , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artoo1121
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007 08:25:02 PM »

Alright I found some more!  I like to have lots of pictures, for reference.  Here are two more firefly ones, although I don't have very good pics (if someone wants to help me out...)

Here's a really pretty red sweater that River wears...

And here's a brief glimpse of the white sweatery vesty thing--I only have this pic I took from someone's layout, I couldn't find anything clearer (since I don't know the name of the ep it is in)

Anyway, that's just a couple more I found!  I will keep looking and post any other cool things I find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my store, Portrait of a Penguin!  Learn the history of the ancient penguins!

Come check out my blog, Geek Central Station!
angeltreats
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007 12:06:12 AM »

I WORSHIP YOU!
I've never done fair isle before, so this could be a challenge, but I'm totally doing it!

THANK YOU!  Grin

I was looking at the instructions and it says to knit it flat and then sew it into a tube.  But fair isle is way easier if you knit in the round (because it's a bitch to purl with the two strands), so save yourself a lot of hassle and do it with dpns or a circular needle!  It is a really nice scarf Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecoffindontwantme
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007 08:09:10 AM »

I was looking at the instructions and it says to knit it flat and then sew it into a tube.  But fair isle is way easier if you knit in the round (because it's a bitch to purl with the two strands), so save yourself a lot of hassle and do it with dpns or a circular needle!  It is a really nice scarf Smiley

Thanks for the advice.  Grin

Does anyone know of a good online tut for fair isle?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007 08:23:56 AM by thecoffindontwantme » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Citrus_Crafter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007 08:12:10 AM »

Keeping with the Whedonverse theme, I was recently rewatching Buffy, and in the season 3 episode "Helpless" I saw Willow wearing this hat:

and I thought, "ZOMG, it's the Basic Cable hat from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation!" Then I realized that this episode aired quite a few years before the book was published, and I wondered if that's where the pattern author got her inspiration for it.

Also, Catherine Keener wears a lot of really interesting sweaters as Harper Lee in Capote:

In particular I'd like to come up with a pattern for something like that last one, lately I've had a thing for both cardis and cables.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frenchnewwave
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007 08:16:23 AM »

Ooh I love this thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janeausten
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007 09:00:32 AM »

ive wanted pippins scarf for ages!! thanks for the pattern link Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007 09:20:07 AM »

Here are two more firefly ones,
And here's a brief glimpse of the white sweatery vesty thing--I only have this pic I took from someone's layout, I couldn't find anything clearer (since I don't know the name of the ep it is in)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb34/artoo1121/layout.jpg

The name of the Firefly episode is "Objects In Space".
How geeky is it to know that off the top of your head! Grin
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007 02:35:44 PM by Lothruin - Reason: Please do not quote pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
teraspawn
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007 10:34:52 AM »

http://still-flying.net/images/objectsinspace/index.php?image=objects032.jpg

Better picture of River's top Grin

ETA: It's even geekier to know that it was in "Jaynestown" as well Wink
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007 10:39:56 AM by teraspawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aunt Suzi
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007 10:45:27 AM »

Here's a pattern for River's vest, but it's crochet:
http://dragoncrafter.livejournal.com/22127.html#cutid1

I remember loving the knits in "THe Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe."  But screen captures are hard to find for that one!  I find a couple and will post them when I get the chance.  I suppose they're just "vintage knits," so there are probably tons of similar patterns available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artoo1121
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007 12:42:38 PM »

Hey guys!  These are great.  I love the Willow hat, I was looking for some Buffy knits and I should have guessed that Willow would have some awesome ones.
Anyway, I found some Narnia knits (someone said they were having trouble finding good pics).  I wasn't really looking at the kids sweaters or anything, but here are a couple cool things I found on the other characters.

and of course

That scarf looks really warm and comfy. 
Anyway, that's all I have for now.

Also--this isn't in a movie, actually, but it's movie based and SO AWESOME that I thought I would share it here (hope it's not a repost)

Isn't that awesome?  Here's a link to the page, if anyone is really brave.
http://community.livejournal.com/advanced_knit/192971.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my store, Portrait of a Penguin!  Learn the history of the ancient penguins!

Come check out my blog, Geek Central Station!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Embossed Faux Bois Stockings
How to Make Angel Christmas Tree Toppers with Heidi Klum
How to Make Glittered Glass Ornaments
How to Make Coffee-Filter Wreaths with Lenore Welby
How to Make Poinsettia Place-Cards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...