A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: RED ALERT! Need Impressive Holiday Dessert Recipe!  (Read 1594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitty Urbane
« on: November 17, 2004 09:03:47 PM »

Cripes! I've lost my pumpkin cheesecake recipe from Cook's Illustrated magazine, and Thanksgiving is BEARING DOWN upon us.

I desperatley need a solution--- a dessert recipe that is so impressive, guests will gorge themselves with seconds and thirds and fourths until they have to take their pants off they're so fat and delighted.

Does anyone have any suggestions that can accomplish this?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004 09:52:13 PM by Kitty Urbane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004 10:11:36 AM »

WEll, here's what looks like the Nov. 2003 Cook's Illustrated spiced pumpkin cheesecake (it's a very long diary-style description of mayking it).  Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.murrayhill5.net/blog/inmykitchenblog/archives/000328.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shiva

My baby just cares for me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004 11:41:36 AM »

I am a dessert worshiper, and of all sweets lovely in the world two things come to mind:
BANOFFI and, of course being half italian, TIRAMISU
banoffi is basically a short crust base pie filled with soft toffee, covered in sliced bananas and (as if it werent sinful enough!!!) whipped cream. - u should find propper recipe on internet (try nigella lawsons site)
OMG why did i think about it, now i'll have to somehow get my fix of sugar and calories!!!
back to us!
tiramisu (which means pull me up!!) is ladyfingers soacked in espresso coffee, layed with a cream made from mascarpone cheese, egg yolks, sugar, more espesso coffee, enough to make the sauce  runny enough to spoon over ladyfingers and if you want to make it lighter stiff egg whites (but then, being a banoffi lover, i love the heavy weight version - plus i'm far to lazy to bother whipping the egg whites!). layer 3 times, putting loads of cream between one layer and the next (in italy we sometimes add liquor - try tia maria or anything which is coffee based, but i advise not to put too much. even if the other half of me is irish, therefore i love my drink, i prefer tiramisu with no liquor as it tends to overkill taste).
to make it more sinfull, buy good quality chocolate, brake up into pieces and add between one layer and next. at the end dust cake with nescafe type coffee, chuncks of chocolate and put in fridge for a few hours. Buon appetito
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The rarest thing is to live. Most people exist, that is all.
TwInKi
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004 10:34:55 PM »

~~~MMMMMM~~~ Pumpkin Cheese Cake  C:(ll)   Anyhow I once found on Crafster this really yummy looking dessert made out of the big wafer cookies, that you put some kind of cream in between, and also  cover the outside with. I could have sworn it was a Martha Stewart thing. I really wanted to try it out for Turkey Day, but I can't find it anywhere, any help would be muchly appreciated!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stashia
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004 10:57:51 PM »

mmmmm...how about a pumpkin jelly roll with cream cheese filling....
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
from Debbie D.

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cups pumpkin
2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, soda and pumpkin pie spice and set aside. Blend eggs, sugar and pumpkin. Add flour mixture and mix well. Spread onto a well-greased jelly roll pan allowing mixture to taper at one end (helps with the rolling once cooked.) Bake for 10-15 minutes.

Mix remaining ingredients and set aside in refrigerator. Once pumpkin cake is cooled, turn out on a cheese cloth lightly dusted with powdered sugar, roll loosely and let cool (this will help form the roll). Once cooled to room temperature, mix cream cheese mixture to soften. Unroll pumplin cake and spread cream cheese mixture leaving a 1/4" border (the cream cheese will spread and may ooze out the sides once you start to roll. This will save some filling.) Roll pumpkin starting from the tapered end. Powder outside of roll before wrapping in wax paper or foil so not to stick to wrapping and chill for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve slice 1/4" thick and garnish with powdered sugar and cinnamon.

from  http://baking.about.com/bl110997.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I judge art, I take my painting and put it next to a God made object like a tree or flower. If it clashes, it is not art." ~ Paul Cezanne
Idigmusic

Did I hear a niner in there?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004 09:53:47 AM »

I posted this one awhile ago & they are sooooo good!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=919.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail"
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004 11:17:39 AM »

my mom always makes my grandmothers secret chocolate mousse recipe for thanksgiving, and anyone who has ever had it talks about it alllll thanksgiving day.  it's a LOT of work, though.  if anyone is interested, i will post the recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitty Urbane
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004 02:23:13 PM »

WEll, here's what looks like the Nov. 2003 Cook's Illustrated spiced pumpkin cheesecake (it's a very long diary-style description of mayking it).  Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.murrayhill5.net/blog/inmykitchenblog/archives/000328.html

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You're saved my bacon!

It is a wonderful, though time intensive, recipe and I encourage all of you to give it a try this holiday season. (Twenty pants-less people can't be wrong.) I don't even like cheesecake, but this one? This one is a miracle.

God Bless You,

Kitty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msinformation
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004 03:20:39 PM »

I made the Cooks Illustrated Pumpking Cheesecake last year and it was really, really good!

This year, I'm hoping to make the Pumpkin Custard Profiteroles from November's Bon Appetit.  I haven't made it yet, so I can't comment on how good it is, but it looks impressive:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/231118

I don't plan on making the "maple caramel" because it requires maple sugar, which I don't have, but I thought it would probably be great with some fudge sauce or some other sort of caramel.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004 04:06:45 PM by msinformation » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Attracting Birds to Your Garden
Setting up a Pond for Garden Bird Photography
How to Photograph Garden Birds
Dragonfiles Photographs
Photographing Dragonflies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...