A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: This is how I jump into a craft... (1st block done!)  (Read 1307 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seamshistoric
« on: June 06, 2007 07:30:36 PM »

Headlong without checking how deep the water is first!  Cheesy Roll Eyes

This is what I want to do:

The center blocks I believe are called 'amish diamond in squares' or somesuch and it's from one of my mom's patchwork books from the 70's. The border is Ribbons from Quilterscache.com, with a modified triangular corner block.

Each block is 16" - 6x6 layout = 36 blocks; 96x96 inches.

I've already figured out the fabric yardage (hopefully correctly!) and bought it. I actually just went out and bought a bit more for shams.  The border is 4" squares, but the amish blocks have a bit of variety with 3" and 1" squares and a center of  approx. 4 1/2" square.-- I have similar diagrams of each block style.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how to keep organized during the project; how to keep it neat (no wrinkles, etc) so I don't have to iron 70% of the time. And any other advice, of course, for a newbie, is always welcome. Please advise on binding a jagged edge! I can easily just insert pieces to smooth out the edges, but I don't really want to do that.

And for a side note, I won't get started on this until next week -- we're in the middle of moving, and my sewing machine is packed up  Cry

Oh yeah... Stop me now if you think I'm going to burn up with this task I've set myself!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007 07:40:50 PM by seamshistoric » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007 08:05:30 PM »

No advice, but wow! That's going to be one amazing quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
porfavoray
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007 08:08:47 PM »

That's awesome. I have been working at my first quilt for about a year now...and I chose a pattern of squares. Just plain squares...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Etsy
wists

I would like to do personal swaps!
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007 08:40:52 PM »

Are the fabrics for each block the same?  If so it should be fairly easy to stay organized...just cut all the pieces, stack 'em up, and drop 'em in a shoe box...well, that's how I'd do it  Grin.  You should be able to do a lot of speed piecing, too (sewing the same two pieces together for all the blocks at the same time w/o taking them off the sewing machine in between.)  You're going to have to press each seam after you sew it to keep it accurate, but if you're speed piecing you can at least do all the pressing at once.

The way I see your drawing there is a center square to each block, in this case set on point.  Then there is a border around that square w/ cornerstones (squares of a different color in the corners).  Again, if the fabric is the same throughout you could do those as a strip set (this: http://bitterknitter.typepad.com/the_bitter_knitter/2004/02/i_cant_believe_.html is the first example of a strip set I found when I googled it).  You would just use a wider strip for the border pieces and smaller ones for the corner stones, then cut the other two sides of the border separately.  (If that makes no sense, I apologize in advance.)  Also, instead of doing the larger border on each block individually, you could do it as sashing - but again that assumes continuity of fabric.  If you are doing it scrappy you're back to the pieces in the shoe box Smiley

Ummm I can't tell if this has been helpful or not. 

Oh yeah, I'd be terrified to bind a jagged edge like that, but then I am a lazy sewer.

I always jump into crafts too - some people can do it and others can't.  My first queen size quilt took me five years to complete, (not continuous work, of course), but it did get done and I'm still quilting so...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
seamshistoric
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007 09:26:31 PM »

No, this one is very planned. The three 'shades' (dark, darker and darkest, lol) in my drawing represent three different fabrics. What is/How would I do sashing?

oh, and another question: What is the best material for a template?. I plan to make a template for my cutting edge and my stitching edge, unless by some miracle I can find tiger tape. No one carries it! (I use it for my civil war stuff  Roll Eyes )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007 03:23:20 PM »

Sashing is reasonably well explained here: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/quilts_and_quilting/37365.  Instead of the blocks you said were 16" so that last outer border bit would be something like an 10" x 3" strip plus a three inch square on either end.  For the middle blocks you could just cut 10" x 6" strips and 6" squares and save yourself some seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
seamshistoric
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007 07:40:24 PM »

Yay for finally getting started nearly a month later...

I did a lot of cutting out today, and probably wasted a yard in cutting out the wrong size, or my ruler slipping and slicing through the piece, or just being stupid.  Roll Eyes But I still love my rotary blade!

I finished one block to see how it would come together. Finished size is exactly 16" (not including seam allowance) so YAY I did it right.

The colors aren't very accurate. The 'brown' is more green like the flower pieces. The narrowest pieces (and the little squares) are finished 1".

The back of the thing. I had originally planned to make a slew of 4" blocks and piece them together, but I cut out sections instead. It's surprisingly easy.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010 12:52:57 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamshistoric
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007 07:30:28 AM »

yay, all the diamond-in-squares blocks are done and pieced together. Tonight I'm going to cut out and start piecing the border.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007 10:39:07 AM »

So far so good! I'm excited to see the final product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jilly
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007 02:00:46 PM »

Very nice first block. Good work.

I found it took about three or four quilts before I finally got a feel for my rotary cutter. They are great once you get the hang of them, but really frustrating at first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photography Tips: Take Only Photographs, Leave Only Footprints
Landscape and Nature Photography Tips
How to Read Your Camera Light Meter
Photography Tips: Using Fill Flash
Birthday and Other Events Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...