A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 315,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas scarves (or whatnot)  (Read 7927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dramageek
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004 11:58:51 PM »

Dansk, cabling is so much easier than I thought - actually, I taught myself from a book. If you find a good description, cabling is pretty self-explanatory even if it sounds wierd when you read the pattern. I have a silly magazine/pamphlet thing called "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting" that has good instructions.

Let's see.....I just finished my brother's scarf and I need to block it to flatten it out a bit. I'm just about done with the baby Uggs and they're adorable!  Cheesy  I decided I don't like the yarn I chose for my dad's scarf so I'm hitting a big yarn sale in NYC this week to find something else (preferably fairly chunky - my brother's scarf took foooorrreevvveeeerrr  in that fine alpaca!). I figured out the pattern for Michelle's bag and started that today - got most of the base done. The two hats I keep putting off because I know they're the easiest, but I really should break up the knitting stress with something easy.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004 07:49:33 PM »

Ok, I'm refining my list a bit : for the stepmom-sNb Nation Capelet, but made into a shawl thing...a little longer, wider
for my husbands aunt: an airy scarf out of Patons Diving (because I've yet to find a yarn store other than Micheal's and JoAnne's)
for stepdad and brother: ribbed, maybe cabled scarves.
for friend: scarf and hat, maybe fingerless gloves...
for mom: fingerless gloves (I already have one done!)
maybe monster mittens for my lil bros.
I've already finished a set of fingerless gloves and a hat for my best friend but I don't have my digital camera handy, so you'll have to wait..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004 10:25:44 PM »

Two finished projects!

My brother's scarf and my niece's (his daughter) baby Uggs. Cutest booties ever!!

Currently in progress: Michelle's felted bag. I'm almost done with the knitting. I'm making up the design as I go along and it is either going to be incredibly cute or really ugly. Hoping for cute!  Smiley

I started my dad's Irish Hiking scarf and the bad news is that I don't like the yarn I picked - I fear that it's too bulky. I may try a smaller needle but I'm not sure this will work. The good news is that the pattern is super easy (easier than the one I did for my brother!) so it will be a pretty quick knit when I do get it under way. Should be a good project for subway knitting.

Waiting in the wings - two hats from Manos Del Uruguay variegated yarn for the two guys I work with. Simple, knit in the round, one with a ribbed edge and one with a rolled edge. I tried to start one but found the gauge a bit tricky to figure out due to the thick-and-thin nature of the yarn. I wasn't trusting my math so I put it aside - I know these will be super-quick once I do have it all mapped out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wizkid
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004 09:48:53 AM »

I, too, am a poor college student looking to hand made gifts to save money.

Right now I am knitting a scarf for my aunt.

It's garter stitch with two lines of knit overs going down the sides. It's knit in Lion Brand's Landscapes yarn, which is AWESOME. I love it.

Also on the list:

Possibly one cabled scarf for my uncle, beer cozies for my brother, and a knit bikini for my brother's wife.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004 04:37:49 PM »

wizkid: what is a knit over?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004 11:03:55 PM »

wizkid: what is a knit over?

Um..... how to describe....

It's when you wrap the yarn around the needle from the front, and then use that as a stitch. It makes a kind of open, hole-y pattern. Anyone else have a better explaination?

And an update.....

Beer cozies....complete
Scarf for Aunt Tuna.... complete
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004 08:58:49 AM by wizkid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessJazz
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004 06:49:07 AM »

I think what you're referring to as a "knit-over" can also be called a "yarn-over" (yo for short).  Some people may know it by that name.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004 08:59:21 AM »

Yes, yarn over! That is exactly what I am talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004 03:58:51 PM »

oh yes, that i know about...
My update (with picutres later): finished scarf for husband's aunt, finished one fingerless glove for mom and 3/4 of the way through second, also 1/3 of the way through step-mom's wrap. less than 2 weeks left!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004 09:42:37 AM »

ok, this is my first time to post pictures, so hopefull this all works out...
my husband's aunt's scarf::

my best friends fingerless gloves and hat:

which I made to match a scarf I made her a couple of months ago (its her in the picture wearing said scarf)

my step-mom's wrap-ish thing....it started out as a SnB capelet but after several froggings i decided to do the flower lace thing from the capelet at only one end and just do a drop stitch pattern (with big needles for the rest of it:

and finally, my mom's fingerless gloves...I'm trying to come up with a fun scarf to match, I have plenty more matchiing yarn but I want it to be fun and interesting...any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004 09:45:03 AM by staralee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Super Bowl Guacamole Recipe
Crispy Pork Belly with Sweet Corn Grits Recipe
How to Make Yummy Mummy
Super Bowl Chili Beans and Rice Recipe
Cherry Crunch Dessert Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...