A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,319
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas scarves (or whatnot)  (Read 7411 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dramageek
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004 11:58:51 PM »

Dansk, cabling is so much easier than I thought - actually, I taught myself from a book. If you find a good description, cabling is pretty self-explanatory even if it sounds wierd when you read the pattern. I have a silly magazine/pamphlet thing called "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting" that has good instructions.

Let's see.....I just finished my brother's scarf and I need to block it to flatten it out a bit. I'm just about done with the baby Uggs and they're adorable!  Cheesy  I decided I don't like the yarn I chose for my dad's scarf so I'm hitting a big yarn sale in NYC this week to find something else (preferably fairly chunky - my brother's scarf took foooorrreevvveeeerrr  in that fine alpaca!). I figured out the pattern for Michelle's bag and started that today - got most of the base done. The two hats I keep putting off because I know they're the easiest, but I really should break up the knitting stress with something easy.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004 07:49:33 PM »

Ok, I'm refining my list a bit : for the stepmom-sNb Nation Capelet, but made into a shawl thing...a little longer, wider
for my husbands aunt: an airy scarf out of Patons Diving (because I've yet to find a yarn store other than Micheal's and JoAnne's)
for stepdad and brother: ribbed, maybe cabled scarves.
for friend: scarf and hat, maybe fingerless gloves...
for mom: fingerless gloves (I already have one done!)
maybe monster mittens for my lil bros.
I've already finished a set of fingerless gloves and a hat for my best friend but I don't have my digital camera handy, so you'll have to wait..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004 10:25:44 PM »

Two finished projects!

My brother's scarf and my niece's (his daughter) baby Uggs. Cutest booties ever!!

Currently in progress: Michelle's felted bag. I'm almost done with the knitting. I'm making up the design as I go along and it is either going to be incredibly cute or really ugly. Hoping for cute!  Smiley

I started my dad's Irish Hiking scarf and the bad news is that I don't like the yarn I picked - I fear that it's too bulky. I may try a smaller needle but I'm not sure this will work. The good news is that the pattern is super easy (easier than the one I did for my brother!) so it will be a pretty quick knit when I do get it under way. Should be a good project for subway knitting.

Waiting in the wings - two hats from Manos Del Uruguay variegated yarn for the two guys I work with. Simple, knit in the round, one with a ribbed edge and one with a rolled edge. I tried to start one but found the gauge a bit tricky to figure out due to the thick-and-thin nature of the yarn. I wasn't trusting my math so I put it aside - I know these will be super-quick once I do have it all mapped out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wizkid
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004 09:48:53 AM »

I, too, am a poor college student looking to hand made gifts to save money.

Right now I am knitting a scarf for my aunt.

It's garter stitch with two lines of knit overs going down the sides. It's knit in Lion Brand's Landscapes yarn, which is AWESOME. I love it.

Also on the list:

Possibly one cabled scarf for my uncle, beer cozies for my brother, and a knit bikini for my brother's wife.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004 04:37:49 PM »

wizkid: what is a knit over?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004 11:03:55 PM »

wizkid: what is a knit over?

Um..... how to describe....

It's when you wrap the yarn around the needle from the front, and then use that as a stitch. It makes a kind of open, hole-y pattern. Anyone else have a better explaination?

And an update.....

Beer cozies....complete
Scarf for Aunt Tuna.... complete
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004 08:58:49 AM by wizkid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessJazz
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004 06:49:07 AM »

I think what you're referring to as a "knit-over" can also be called a "yarn-over" (yo for short).  Some people may know it by that name.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004 08:59:21 AM »

Yes, yarn over! That is exactly what I am talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004 03:58:51 PM »

oh yes, that i know about...
My update (with picutres later): finished scarf for husband's aunt, finished one fingerless glove for mom and 3/4 of the way through second, also 1/3 of the way through step-mom's wrap. less than 2 weeks left!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004 09:42:37 AM »

ok, this is my first time to post pictures, so hopefull this all works out...
my husband's aunt's scarf::

my best friends fingerless gloves and hat:

which I made to match a scarf I made her a couple of months ago (its her in the picture wearing said scarf)

my step-mom's wrap-ish thing....it started out as a SnB capelet but after several froggings i decided to do the flower lace thing from the capelet at only one end and just do a drop stitch pattern (with big needles for the rest of it:

and finally, my mom's fingerless gloves...I'm trying to come up with a fun scarf to match, I have plenty more matchiing yarn but I want it to be fun and interesting...any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004 09:45:03 AM by staralee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Maki Roll
The Cuisine of the Filipino American Community
The Cuisine of the Thai American Community
How to Prepare a Durian
Thai Food and Wine Pairing Options
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...