A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas scarves (or whatnot)  (Read 7012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2004 07:31:21 PM »

Ok, I've never Knit-a-long yet, but I'm sick of garter stitch scarves and I'm practicing my purl because I desparately need to make some Christmas gifts (several 'girly' scarves, two 'manly' scarves and two 'little kid-ish' scarves) so I'd like some ideas and encouragement...anyone in the same boat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dansk
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004 08:01:42 PM »

I'm making scarves too. The first one I used garter stitch and I was so bored! The second one I made, I crocheted using the single crochet-chain one technique and now I am back to knitting. This time I am using a knit 2 purl 2 ribbing and alternating between two colors of chocolate brown for wide stripes. I really like how it looks. I am tempted to  throw in some pink, but it is for a guy.

I always convince myself garter stitch is faster, but I find that knit-purl actually goes faster for me. Next one I do will be a seed stitch, haven't decided on the color yet.

This weekend my mom is going to help me with one of these knitted Hallowig's for a friend who is a hairstylist, http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATThallowig.html.

Good luck with your scarves!
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyfred

a world without string is chaos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004 07:22:55 PM »

Oh man, as a poor college student, I decided this year to make presents for everybody instead of actually buying things  Tongue
Anyway, I am making a scarf now with cranberry wool-ease yarn (not the fanciest, but hey, I like it) and sz. 13 needles.  Im actually knitting stockinette with a garter border, and every so often adding like 4 rows of garter so its like different sized boxes along the length of the scarf.  Its coming out pretty neat, if I say so myself!  There is also a really cool scarf in s'nbn with garter and stockinette, of course i dont remember the name, but it looks like its a basket weave or something.
Also, this is a great site for making fairly quick hats if you are craving variety:  http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel181746&catid=cat356

Somebody on here gave me that link a while back, I dont know who it was, but thanks, because it was ever so helpful.

Good luck!  Hope I gave you some ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004 10:17:58 PM »

Thanks for the link-I love it! Tonight I knit fingerless gloves for a friend (to match a scarf I already gave her) and was looking for a hat pattern that was simple.  I'll post pictures when I finish up the set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004 07:56:23 AM »

I am furiously knitting also - 2 scarves, 2 hats, at least two felted bags, and a pair of baby Uggs for my niece!

I'm practicing my cabling - for my brother, this scarf:

http://www.yarnagogo.com/good_ole_cabled_scarf/ in grey alpaca from Elann.com.

For my dad:

http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm in off-white Zara wool, also from Elann.com.

I'm doing a Sophie bag for my sister-in-law which I plan to embellish with a flower or two, and I'm going to adapt that pattern or design my own for a striped bag for my friend Michelle. Two basic hats for a couple of guy friends, both done in Manos De Uruguay wool. And the baby Uggs will be bright pink - I'll start those today as soon as I buy the right needles - for some reason I have no fives!

Wow, looking at it all written down - that's a lot of knitting to do in the next three weeks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quirky Girl

My handsome boy :)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004 11:34:31 AM »

I'm envisioning this teeny Uggs.....if you don't mind me asking - is it a pattern or something of your own creation.

Please share Smiley

I'm knitting socks for my neice and nephew, so far....a hat for one of my guy friends....and my never ending knitted doll.

QG

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004 12:34:31 PM »

The baby Uggs are from the DIYnet show "Knitty Gritty" and the pattern is available on http://www.diynet.com.

There is a great thread about them here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=14033.0

And I just found a pair of size five needles so the booties are underway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quirky Girl

My handsome boy :)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004 06:41:54 AM »

AWESOME THANKS!!!

QG
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistress_batty
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004 11:52:05 PM »

I'm working on scarves as well. Right now I'm working on a black & red stripped garter stitch scarf. I have 2 others I need to finish (a white & 2 shades of red - candy cane scarf) and a (white, brown, and pink - neopolitan scarf). More pictures when I start to work on the other scarves.
   So I'm knittingalong with all of you! Good luck to everyone and their projects!

^v^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dansk
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004 12:19:58 AM »

Thanks for posting the links Dramageek. Those are really nice! I haven't tried knitting a cable, but I have been itching to learn.

I just finished my brown scarf and made another one out of some granny squares I had sitting around. I crocheted them together and then added 2 rows of single crochet around the whole thing.

Next on my list is to knit a scarf for my mom with that railroad yarn that is so pretty.

Knit on! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004 11:58:51 PM »

Dansk, cabling is so much easier than I thought - actually, I taught myself from a book. If you find a good description, cabling is pretty self-explanatory even if it sounds wierd when you read the pattern. I have a silly magazine/pamphlet thing called "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting" that has good instructions.

Let's see.....I just finished my brother's scarf and I need to block it to flatten it out a bit. I'm just about done with the baby Uggs and they're adorable!  Cheesy  I decided I don't like the yarn I chose for my dad's scarf so I'm hitting a big yarn sale in NYC this week to find something else (preferably fairly chunky - my brother's scarf took foooorrreevvveeeerrr  in that fine alpaca!). I figured out the pattern for Michelle's bag and started that today - got most of the base done. The two hats I keep putting off because I know they're the easiest, but I really should break up the knitting stress with something easy.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004 07:49:33 PM »

Ok, I'm refining my list a bit : for the stepmom-sNb Nation Capelet, but made into a shawl thing...a little longer, wider
for my husbands aunt: an airy scarf out of Patons Diving (because I've yet to find a yarn store other than Micheal's and JoAnne's)
for stepdad and brother: ribbed, maybe cabled scarves.
for friend: scarf and hat, maybe fingerless gloves...
for mom: fingerless gloves (I already have one done!)
maybe monster mittens for my lil bros.
I've already finished a set of fingerless gloves and a hat for my best friend but I don't have my digital camera handy, so you'll have to wait..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004 10:25:44 PM »

Two finished projects!

My brother's scarf and my niece's (his daughter) baby Uggs. Cutest booties ever!!

Currently in progress: Michelle's felted bag. I'm almost done with the knitting. I'm making up the design as I go along and it is either going to be incredibly cute or really ugly. Hoping for cute!  Smiley

I started my dad's Irish Hiking scarf and the bad news is that I don't like the yarn I picked - I fear that it's too bulky. I may try a smaller needle but I'm not sure this will work. The good news is that the pattern is super easy (easier than the one I did for my brother!) so it will be a pretty quick knit when I do get it under way. Should be a good project for subway knitting.

Waiting in the wings - two hats from Manos Del Uruguay variegated yarn for the two guys I work with. Simple, knit in the round, one with a ribbed edge and one with a rolled edge. I tried to start one but found the gauge a bit tricky to figure out due to the thick-and-thin nature of the yarn. I wasn't trusting my math so I put it aside - I know these will be super-quick once I do have it all mapped out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wizkid
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004 09:48:53 AM »

I, too, am a poor college student looking to hand made gifts to save money.

Right now I am knitting a scarf for my aunt.

It's garter stitch with two lines of knit overs going down the sides. It's knit in Lion Brand's Landscapes yarn, which is AWESOME. I love it.

Also on the list:

Possibly one cabled scarf for my uncle, beer cozies for my brother, and a knit bikini for my brother's wife.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004 04:37:49 PM »

wizkid: what is a knit over?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004 11:03:55 PM »

wizkid: what is a knit over?

Um..... how to describe....

It's when you wrap the yarn around the needle from the front, and then use that as a stitch. It makes a kind of open, hole-y pattern. Anyone else have a better explaination?

And an update.....

Beer cozies....complete
Scarf for Aunt Tuna.... complete
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004 08:58:49 AM by wizkid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessJazz
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004 06:49:07 AM »

I think what you're referring to as a "knit-over" can also be called a "yarn-over" (yo for short).  Some people may know it by that name.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004 08:59:21 AM »

Yes, yarn over! That is exactly what I am talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004 03:58:51 PM »

oh yes, that i know about...
My update (with picutres later): finished scarf for husband's aunt, finished one fingerless glove for mom and 3/4 of the way through second, also 1/3 of the way through step-mom's wrap. less than 2 weeks left!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004 09:42:37 AM »

ok, this is my first time to post pictures, so hopefull this all works out...
my husband's aunt's scarf::

my best friends fingerless gloves and hat:

which I made to match a scarf I made her a couple of months ago (its her in the picture wearing said scarf)

my step-mom's wrap-ish thing....it started out as a SnB capelet but after several froggings i decided to do the flower lace thing from the capelet at only one end and just do a drop stitch pattern (with big needles for the rest of it:

and finally, my mom's fingerless gloves...I'm trying to come up with a fun scarf to match, I have plenty more matchiing yarn but I want it to be fun and interesting...any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004 09:45:03 AM by staralee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2004 07:55:49 AM »

staralee, I love your step-mom's wrap thingie!

I am almost DONE!

Let's see, I got everything mailed yesterday that had to mailed. That included: scarf for dad, scarf for brother, baby Uggs for niece, felted bag for sister-in-law. I also made the niece a Christmas stocking duplicating the ones our grandmother made for my brother and I. Yay!

Still to finish: Michelle's felted bag, which I am absolutely in love with (will post pictures later) The colors are very Michelle and I love how the shape turned out. Unfortunately, I forgot to crochet a loop for closure before I felted it, so I need to figure out a solution for that. I think I will either crochet and hand-felt a cord and then stitch it on separately, or I may use leather thong if I can find something I like. I do have the perfect button for it!

Still to begin (ack!): Two simple hats, knit in the round, for the two guys. I'll get these started today, I just hope I have the right size needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2004 07:40:39 PM »

thanks!
I'm glad to hear that 4 days till Christmas and someone else is still knitting gifts! I'm making my mom a multi-directional diagonal scarf that I found a link to around here somewhere-I love it....I'll post soon
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2004 08:56:49 PM »

Wow, I finished just in the knick of time - I was still knitting at dinner last night and snuck a couple of gifts to people when their backs were turned  Smiley

OK, the family - this stuff all got mailed Monday - I've already posted my brother's scarf and my niece's booties. Here's my dad's Irish Hiking Scarf:

And my sister-in-law's decorated Sophie bag:

I really wish I had a better picture of that bag. It's so darn cute.

My other gifts - all for the people I work with. Bill and Chris both got hats out of Manos del Uruguay - Bill in variegated browns and Chris in blue. They both liked them a lot and the hats suit each of their personalities. They both couldn't believe I knitted for them while I was going so crazy with all my other projects!

Bill:

Chris:

And finally, one of my favorite things ever - Michelle's bag. I love it, she loves it. So perfect for her. Yay!

And, not knitted, but I made a stocking for my niece as well:

Wow. Next year I start in September.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2004 06:55:30 AM »

wow-it was all beautiful! way to finish it on time! I finished my mom's scarf on the way to her house....but she adored it! yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nonbillablehours
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2005 02:01:56 PM »

Dramageek - where did you get the pattern for Michelle's bag?  That is the most fabulous bag I've seen in a while.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2005 11:57:25 AM »

Dramageek - where did you get the pattern for Michelle's bag?  That is the most fabulous bag I've seen in a while.

thanks!

I actually made it up! It's done in two colors of Cascade 220 - the darker one looks brown but it's a really cool olivey tweed with flecks of orange and turquoise in it. I can't remember what I did exactly but it's shaped similarly to the Sophie bag - garter stitch for the bottom, pick up stitches all around and knit in the round decreasing as needed for shaping. I did three i-cords to braid for the handle.

Thanks for the compliment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Lower-Lid Liner
Get the Perfect Flush for Medium Complexions
Learn How to Apply Ombre Eye Makeup
Beauty Quickie: How to Remove Nail Polish
Revenge of the Nerds: Makeup Lessons for Gals With Glasses
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...