A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bookbinding/Stitching Tutorials - External (non-Craftster) Links  (Read 46028 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial_list  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy-com
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009 05:05:50 PM »

Thank you very much for these links! I've been looking for a solution to binding my scrapbook at the end of the year. I want to make my own covers so I've been trying to think of the best way to put it all together. I'll have to look into these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009 02:55:46 AM »

I'm playing around with a few notebooks I'm making. I'm hoping to make them quick and easy, to sell at craft fairs for stocking stuffers. I got to the point where I need to set the textblock into the cover. I'm not wanting the signature to be seen at the back. The tute I found most helpful is the one by Jamie Butler. What is really helpful to me at this stage of my project is seeing how she used cloth to make tapes and a fabric "mull"..that's to glue the text block to the inside cover. This solved the issue I was having, because I don't want to see stitching on the spine.
BUT>>> Here's where I cheated... since I intend to sell these things somewhat cheap, I sewed the pages along the crease (2 sheets of 8.5x11 folded in quarters...total 8 pages per signature) WITH THE Sewing Machine! I am using a commercial machine, and #69 nylon thread. Perhaps the #46 I have is ok, but I am using my longest stitch. I backstich only once, starting with the needle 5/8"from the edge, and go backwards first. This prevents 3 layers of thread you get from typical backstitching. Then I pull the thread from the top thru the hole to the back. They can be tied together at the back of the signature. Afterwards, I use about 2 feet of the same thread, and a normal sized needle, and catch all the signatures together by running the needle under stitches, back and forth across the spine. I then glue the sets together, and put it under a heavy book to dry, also flattening out the text-block. So, I'm cheating! But this works real well, and it's fast. I don't have to poke holes. I should have one finished tomorrow, (today actually!) and I'll post it then. Anyway, thanks for listing the tutes, "cause now I know how to pull it all together. K
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009 02:59:05 AM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wheezyx
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009 03:13:52 PM »

Thanks! I love trying out new bookbinding techniques.

If anyone is looking for a good-ol-fashioned book on bookmaking, my favorite is Kevin Smith's Non-Adhesive Binding Volume 1: Books Without Paste or Glue. I've had it for years and it's still one of the best bookbinding guides I've come across.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009 11:00:52 AM »

I'm playing around with a few notebooks I'm making. I'm hoping to make them quick and easy, to sell at craft fairs for stocking stuffers. I got to the point where I need to set the textblock into the cover. I'm not wanting the signature to be seen at the back. The tute I found most helpful is the one by Jamie Butler. What is really helpful to me at this stage of my project is seeing how she used cloth to make tapes and a fabric "mull"..that's to glue the text block to the inside cover. This solved the issue I was having, because I don't want to see stitching on the spine.
BUT>>> Here's where I cheated... since I intend to sell these things somewhat cheap, I sewed the pages along the crease (2 sheets of 8.5x11 folded in quarters...total 8 pages per signature) WITH THE Sewing Machine! I am using a commercial machine, and #69 nylon thread. Perhaps the #46 I have is ok, but I am using my longest stitch. I backstich only once, starting with the needle 5/8"from the edge, and go backwards first. This prevents 3 layers of thread you get from typical backstitching. Then I pull the thread from the top thru the hole to the back. They can be tied together at the back of the signature. Afterwards, I use about 2 feet of the same thread, and a normal sized needle, and catch all the signatures together by running the needle under stitches, back and forth across the spine. I then glue the sets together, and put it under a heavy book to dry, also flattening out the text-block. So, I'm cheating! But this works real well, and it's fast. I don't have to poke holes. I should have one finished tomorrow, (today actually!) and I'll post it then. Anyway, thanks for listing the tutes, "cause now I know how to pull it all together. K

AWESOME idea!  I've used the machine to do the signatures in the past but couldn't figure out a great way to put them all together.  This sounds like exactly what I need.  Thanks for the ideas, 'cause now I know how to pull it all together too!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
DesignerFake
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010 03:05:39 PM »

Great tutorials! But hands down to YouTube. Video tutorials are time savers and confusion-proof!

I completely agree! You can pause them and work at the same time. I just learnt coptic binding from a really handy video on there so it get the thumbs up from me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do something amazing - give blood
www.blood.co.uk
RebeccaRuthless
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010 07:18:38 PM »

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/13550/how-to-make-an-all-recycled-sketchbook Here is a tutorial to recycle old books to make your own book, using a sewing machine instead of hand-stitching and etc. It's a bit easier than the other ones I've looked at [I was really look at them for how to make a cover].
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Little owl
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010 08:03:19 AM »

Thank you very much for that great list in the beginning of this thread. Its very useful!
I have been wanting to learn bookbinding in different ways, maybe I will really start soon ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My tiny Etsy shop!
http://eerinvink.etsy.com
MoonlitSun
Never stop believing. Stars never do.

We all need a little magic in our lives.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010 02:41:55 AM »

Thanks loads, i'm about to make my first 3 journals!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a CHOCAHOLIC! Dare eat chocolate in front of me! xD
My Pinterest ^_^

Yay for personal swaps! Message me anytime ^_^
Currently looking for aida cloths! 14 or 20 count, or anything you can part with!
wonderwoman1976
I usually have paint on my fingers and on my jeans.

"Believe it or not, I really can draw" -Basquiat

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010 09:13:08 AM »

does anyone have a link for making MINI books? You know, those cute mini books that are made in charm bracelets, etc.....'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-The Craftaholic
http://www.thecraftaholic.com
--------------------------------------------------------
PaganTwinwolf
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010 09:34:27 AM »

Thanks for all the ideas.  I can't wait to get started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Puppets Out of Wood
An Easy to Follow Guide to Puppet Making
How to Create an Owl Puppet
How to Create a Turkey Puppet
How to Create Your Own Puppets
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...