A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
807 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Sentimental Gift for First Father's day for a dad who Waited a LONG time!  (Read 8512 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karak411
« on: June 06, 2007 10:57:47 AM »

Hey crafty peeps, I need your help.

My husband and I tried for 4 1/2 years for a baby and through the miracle of science, we were blessed with our wonderful daughter last July.

So this is my husband's first father's day and I want to make it special.  He LOVES LOVES LOVES this kid, she has him totally wrapped around her finger and he loves to flaunt his "daddy" status.  Plus he works his bootay off in a demanding job so that I can stay home with her.  He's a GREAT guy and I want him to know how much I appreciate him and love that he's her daddy.

I am a bit of a crafty beech, so it's only appropriate that I create something for him.  I sew LOTs and I love to scrapbook, but I always like to try new things.

He works really really hard, so he doesn't have many hobbies.  He likes TV, like Heros and Lost and shows like that.  He loves beer! He's very handy and loves to play with power tools when he gets the chance.  He likes to fish but doesn't get to much anymore, because I work on the weekends so he hangs with the kid.  He also likes to play poker but doesn't get to much anymore since it tends to be expensive and late at night.  His favorite hobby though is reading.....reading geeky books to be exact!  Starwars and Salvatore books are his favs.  He did mention that he'd like the new Gunslinger book from steven king....Oh, and he's a total math geek, like does math in his head for fun while he's driving.

So, the question then is......what should I do?!  I've got ideas for store bought gifts, but I'd really like to make him something sentimental.

Oh!  Two more things, his birthday is the DAY BEFORE father's day, lucky him.  And I tried to make him a "dad" ring from PMC at christmas......ummm m disaster!  Sad

Thanks in advance you guys.  I guess mommy brain has me feeling a bit uncreative. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007 11:00:21 AM by karak411 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007 03:27:04 PM »

WEll, since he's so proud and he won't to show off that he's a dad, how about a stencilled "daddy" shirt with a cute saying or something like that. Stencilling is relatively easy.

The obvious is to make him a scrapbook out of the pictures of him and your daughter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007 03:45:18 PM »

those are cool ideas...  i like the dad shirt and stuff - this idea occurred to me and then i realized it may not be fathers-day appropriate.  maybe you can use it anyway, or for another time.  anyway.  on with the idea!

i was thinking some sort of personalized beer stein (a set of them, maybe?) , a six pack of beer that has personalized labels, and a set of coasters (perhaps with your daughter's face?  i don't know if that'd be weird.).

anyway.  hope it helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
kiwiberried
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007 04:55:28 PM »

have you ever done any work with clay???

Maybe you could make a model of your husband's favorite literary character???

What about a little baby backpack thingy (you know those things that secures the baby to you when you guys take walks??) with his name stenciled on with the words "number one dad" Huh

A handmade photo frame could also work?

Ha! I hope these aren't bad ideas! good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007 04:57:47 PM »

have you ever done any work with clay???

Maybe you could make a model of your husband's favorite literary character???

What about a little baby backpack thingy (you know those things that secures the baby to you when you guys take walks??) with his name stenciled on with the words "number one dad" Huh

A handmade photo frame could also work?

Ha! I hope these aren't bad ideas! good luck!

I love the handmade photo frame idea. You could decorate the frame with his hobbies/interests.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DrunkKitty
Mischief managed!

I am the girl anachronism!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007 05:24:55 PM »

This isn't particularly crafty for you, but what about getting him a beer-making kit? My dad has one and is absolutely nuts about brewing his own beer. Then if you want to get crafty, you could design labels for his beers....maybe something with a picture of your daughter, or he and her (she and him?) together. You could call it Best Dad Beer or Superdad Beer or something...Oh! You could call it "(Your last name) Beer" and then have a tag line along the lines of "Creating great things since (year your daughter was born)".

Or my other idea was doing a scrapbook from your daughter's point of view, all, "This is my dad and he's totally awesome". I've also always thought it would be fun to do a scrapbook in a comic book style too.  Wink

Congrats for your hubby's first father's day! And a belated happy mother's day to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007 05:35:19 PM »

When I was little my mom dipped my feet in different colors of paint and put them all over a white shirt with the saying "My daughter walks all over me"  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007 05:48:29 PM »

I was goofing off and came up with this. It'd make an okay shirt or something else.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e142/teapotdnky/dad-1.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007 05:52:00 PM »

I was goofing off and came up with this. It'd make an okay shirt or something else.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e142/teapotdnky/dad-1.jpg

Ha! Cute! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007 07:27:40 PM »

When I was little my mom dipped my feet in different colors of paint and put them all over a white shirt with the saying "My daughter walks all over me"  Grin
i like that , very cute.
 also simular idea.. handprints  with the saying.. _________'s got me wrapped around her fingers..
 fill in the blank with her name, " my daughter/baby" Daddy's little girl" whatever you can think of that would fit best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Products to Get Rid of Blackheads at Home
5 Products That Stay Put Day to Night
Botox and Filler: Watch a Liquid Facelift Live
Top Picks For Hair Masks
4 Tips For Beautiful Hair
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...