A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Luxury Cat Condo Extraordinare  (Read 14504 times)
Tags for this thread: cat_condo , craftster_best_of_2007 , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss. Cellaneous

"Still crazy after all these years"

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2007 07:54:43 AM »

In the last year or so I have started getting interesting in working with wood. Up to now I haven't ever done anything from a plan (mainly I just hammer planks of wood together at right angles and voila...we have a table). However, I couldn't pass this up.

I was flipping through this magazine:

When I saw this picutre:

It says right on the piture "Make It", so I did. Here is the outcome:

A similar cat condo purchased from a pet store or online runs anywhere from $175-$300. The total cost for this project was $70. A large part of that cost ($24) was the carpet. I purchased cheap bath mats from Menard's and cut them to fit because I wanted all different colors and textures. If you have leftover carpet, then this could be an even cheaper project. Just goes to show, crafting isn't just good times...it is also fiscally responsible.   Grin

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007 10:04:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to remove copyrighted plans » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere . . . "   --Austen
Shimmer413

i'm a non-monotasker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007 08:11:06 AM »

This is absolutely fantastic!  What a great job you did!!  Your kitties seem to love it.  I've been looking for something like this, thanks!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like to dabble in it all... curiosity keeps me crafty.

my blog: paper + stitch
Lobster Magnet
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007 08:13:17 AM »

I was wondering where you got that cool striped carpet!  Nice thinkin' with the floor mats. 

And it looks like the cats enjoy it!  Cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007 08:13:26 AM »

I was JUST thinking of making something like that for my bunny. She runs all over the house and doesn't really like toys, but I think she would love a condo! Is that a current issue? Where did you find it? I have a lot of left over plywood from when I built her cage and I'm going to build her another house inside her cage, but even after that I think I'll have plenty of leftover wood.

hmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
ArtsyGirl13
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007 08:16:17 AM »

wow! very impressive! this is too cute! You did a great job!
I'm wondering how you got your kitties to pose so perfectly - one on each step!?! They must be very obedient! hehe...

CUTE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't just sit there - make something!"

**Danielle**
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.creationsbydanielle.etsy.com')
Miss. Cellaneous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007 08:16:38 AM »

I was wondering where you got that cool striped carpet!  Nice thinkin' with the floor mats. 

And it looks like the cats enjoy it!  Cool.

The striped carpet also came from Menard's. It was a carpet runner. I was able to get 2 squares out of each runner. The cost of each runner was $4.44. The average cost for each square came out to about $2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere . . . "   --Austen
Miss. Cellaneous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007 08:20:33 AM »

I was JUST thinking of making something like that for my bunny. She runs all over the house and doesn't really like toys, but I think she would love a condo! Is that a current issue? Where did you find it? I have a lot of left over plywood from when I built her cage and I'm going to build her another house inside her cage, but even after that I think I'll have plenty of leftover wood.

hmm...

I originally read the magazine at the library. When I decided to make the condo I realized that I should probably buy the mag. I found it for sale at Lowe's. It is a Better Homes and Gardens Special Publication. The date is Summer 2007 so I would expect it to be on the magazine racks for a while.

Glad you like it. I think it would make a perfect rabbit funhouse. You may want to adjust the box sizes depending on how high your rabbitt can jump. Each box is 16 3/4 inches high. So, the whole thing is a little over 4 feet tall. Might be a reach for a smaller size bunny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007 08:35:15 AM »

That is terrific!  Looks nicer than the one in the magazine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
karlamena
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007 08:38:28 AM »

Shocked Great job! my cats would love that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my website

http://www.karlamena.8m.com

And don't forget to sign my guestbook

http://pub17.bravenet.com/guestbook/1445536099

Thank you!
McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007 10:12:16 AM »

Did you glue the carpets to the squares? Carpet glue or something else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowyangel
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007 10:24:32 AM »

That's such a great idea, thanks for sharing it. My kitties would love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.snowyangel.etsy.com')
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007 10:28:19 AM »

Fabulous!!!! You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
Miss. Cellaneous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007 10:49:19 AM »

The original plan called for carpet tiles. I couldn't find any cheap enough to fit my tastes. If I had used them, then they would have thier own sticky backing to attach.

Since I used just pieces of carpet, I attached them with a staple gun. I figure it will be easier to update/change the carpet if the cats scratch it all to heck.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BonBabbu

Times are hard for dreamers

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007 12:14:09 PM »

Awesome!
I'll have to try that sometime, getting 2 new kittens this weekend!
yay Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!
http://www.wists.com/bonbabbu
MissMinoes
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007 01:03:08 PM »

That looks great. I would be quite nervous to start such a project, because my cats usually will prefer the box of the materials over the finished project. They're 2 ungrateful little ladies. =^x^=

Very good to see your cats DO appreciate craftmanship.

Ama
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freakymysty
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007 01:19:58 PM »

I am absolutely in love with it!!  The cats are obviously enjoying it so you're a good parent Smiley.  I bookmarked this so I can remember which magazine to buy so I can make one for my own cat (who already has a cat tree that I made for him as well, lol).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frenchnewwave
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007 01:33:32 PM »

My cats NEED one of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007 01:53:27 PM »

The original plan called for carpet tiles. I couldn't find any cheap enough to fit my tastes. If I had used them, then they would have thier own sticky backing to attach.

Since I used just pieces of carpet, I attached them with a staple gun. I figure it will be easier to update/change the carpet if the cats scratch it all to heck.   Wink

That makes sense.

Did you carpet the underside of the cubes, too? What about the inside of each cube? It kinda sorta looks like at least one of them has carpet inside.

Sorry to be such a pest, but Enquiring Minds Want To Know Stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007 03:06:26 PM »

Glad you "made it"!

So awesome! Lucky, lucky cats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Fluxity
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007 03:42:39 PM »

Wow, that looks great, and I commend your ability to get all three cats standing on it at the same time, and that you were able to get a picture of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wistful Thinking
~-~
Procraftination  - a Blog about my Crafty Adventures!
Swap partners - No Peeking!
~-~
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry
Miss. Cellaneous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007 04:53:29 PM »

That makes sense.

Did you carpet the underside of the cubes, too? What about the inside of each cube? It kinda sorta looks like at least one of them has carpet inside.

Sorry to be such a pest, but Enquiring Minds Want To Know Stuff.

I only put carpet on the tops of each box and 3 of the sides. Since it is meant to sit against a wall, the back sides and bottoms didn't need any. I also put carpet on the inside of just one of the boxes because my cats like some variety in their sleeping surfaces. Some days they like the fluffy insides of a basket of clean laundary, other days they prefer the top of my husbands desk.

Glad you like it.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007 05:39:20 PM »

Some days they like the fluffy insides of a basket of clean laundary, other days they prefer the top of my husbands desk.

LOL, Isn't that the truth! (especially the CLEAN laundry only, never the dirty Roll Eyes!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shimmer413

i'm a non-monotasker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007 05:32:18 AM »

Entirely inspired by you and your post, I picked up a copy of that magazine yesterday.  I found it at Home Depot.  What a great mag!!  Thanks for posting!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like to dabble in it all... curiosity keeps me crafty.

my blog: paper + stitch
taunya1978
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2007 08:41:37 AM »

i was inpired  by that issue too!  I will show you my patio when it is done.  I am on crutches right now.. so it is going to be a bit delayed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blisstic
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007 07:15:15 PM »

Fabuloso! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ steph
epilepticlemur
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007 11:51:48 AM »

This looks so good!  My cat supply is depleted at the moment, but I hope to get one when I move.  Thank you so much for showing this.  I hope to run and get the magazine today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss. Cellaneous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007 11:59:30 AM »

It seems like a lot of people are really loving this magazine. I know there are a couple more projects from this current issue that I would like to try and see what others come up with. Looks like you can get a subscription to it from Better Homes and Gardens. 2 years, 8 issues, $20.

As much as I like it, I am a cheapskate. I will continue to just read it at my local library and occasionally purchase as needed for any projects I want to do.   Grin

I am so glad you all like the cat condo. If anyone else takes a stab at the same plan or a modification I would love to see your take on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lystessa

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007 09:20:30 AM »

That is amazing, you did such a great job!

I would love to play around with cat furniture, but whatever I got/made would have to be able to support a toddler too... Maybe I can add on to the top of his bedroom furniture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com
Cortney!
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007 05:26:10 PM »

What an awesome alternative to the old $200 beige carpet and sisal creations at Petco
THIS ROCKS   Logged

more intensity!
Craftgrease

Pillow dancing is my sport.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007 05:53:20 AM »

That is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss. Cellaneous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007 06:16:05 AM »

Follow up - my rascally kittens do not ever go inside the boxes. They love climbing up the outside and the top is now the favorite sleeping spot in the whole house, but not one of my 3 likes to go inside the boxes. Still a great addition to thier fun times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScarfBandaid
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007 08:44:47 AM »

i just love it I will have to show this to my friend who has four cats and her kitty condo is falling apart!! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_angelfuk
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007 12:41:09 AM »

AMAZING!!!! i saved the picture...hopefully soon ill be motivated enough to try it!!!

hows that magazine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackResonance
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2007 06:15:14 PM »

I love this! My husband and I were just coming up with ideas for one for our two kitties. I have one question. How much rope did you need? The idea we have consists of a 3'x3" pole with rope wrapped around it like yours. I'm guessing 20'? But I don't know if that will be enough, or too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss. Cellaneous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007 08:49:43 AM »

I love this! My husband and I were just coming up with ideas for one for our two kitties. I have one question. How much rope did you need? The idea we have consists of a 3'x3" pole with rope wrapped around it like yours. I'm guessing 20'? But I don't know if that will be enough, or too much.

Hmmm. I wish I had kept track. I am afraid that I don't know. I had part of a leftover spool of sisal that I started with and then bought another spool that I didn't use all of. Also would depend on the thickness you use. I think you will just have to play it by ear. Sorry I wasn't more help...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007 01:04:06 PM »

Ive officially decided to make this for my kitty when I move out.
Unfortunately that isnt for at least anoher year, but this will be my kitty's present when I do. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sol96
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007 09:42:33 PM »

Awww they must love you to pieces for doing this...i have been wanting to make one too for a long time...couldnt quite figure it out tho...this looks simple enough...i found OSB board which is something like partical board without any chemicals~? and its really cheap for a whole slab like 4x6 for less than $10 at home depot...gonna try this myself in the new year...my kitty would just love this...great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sol96
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007 09:43:20 PM »

can you post a tutorial for this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss. Cellaneous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007 06:28:46 AM »

I wish I could post a tute, but since I got the instructions from a magazine they are subject to the copywrite. I had actually originally posted just a picture that shows the assembly instructions, but it had to be taken down.
I would check your library for that magazine. That's where I found it.
Another alternative would be to order that particular issue from the publisher. Usually the price on off the shelve issues is pretty resonable (around ~$5).
Please post some pics if you end up making this. I would love to see what someone else's looks like.  Smiley
Happy Holidays!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008 10:56:32 AM »

I am going to make something similar to this for my cat.

Did you completely carpet the insides of the boxes too, or just paint them?

I think I am going to contact the local carpet store because they tend to have free remnants.

Also, my local fabric store has strudy cardboard tubes they use to put the fabric on(so it rolls off easily to cut). I think I am going to see if I can get one or two of them. They are over 6ft long.

Thanks,
 Rebecca
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Geneen Roth Discusses Her New Book Women, Food, and God
Actor George Wendt on the Creative Process Behind His New Book
Joe Wallace Talks About His Book Diamond Ruby
Naomi Wolf on Her Powerful New Book Give Me Liberty
Author Becca Fitzpatrick Reveals Herself
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...