A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cardiff craft stores  (Read 9860 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kittyboo
« on: June 06, 2007 03:12:13 AM »

Hi,

If there's anyone out there from Cardiff, can you recommend any good craft stores please? I'm particularly interested in yarn and fabric stores but enjoy a good mooch around the more general craft stores too!

Thanks very much!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

robotoon
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007 02:41:04 PM »

there's a place called inkspot near newport road i never shop there so i dont know if they any good - sorry
I usually drive to Hobbycraft in newport cuz i love BIGGER shop

and they do have some craft supply at the Range and cheap-o shop called WHAT! on newport road

and if ur hobby is sewing (like me) city road is great - lots of fabric and sewing shops.I went there last week and bought a lot of fabric for 1 pound a metre and got some real nice fabric from their remnant bin for 50p a metre (Cardiff fabric and curtain is the name of the shop i think)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittyboo
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007 12:36:46 AM »

Thanks very much Robotoon - I'll definately check out the fabric shops on City Road - they sound just what I'm looking for. I'll also give Newport a try too as it'll probably be easier for me to get there.

Thanks again for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Echelon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008 07:33:51 AM »

I used to go to Uni there and now live in the near craft-less city of Brussels Sad I'm not really adding much here as it's all been said but I miss Cardiff so any excuse to reminisce:P
Cardiff is awesome for craft/material supplies. City Road (especially Tony's material shop i think it's called) is cheap and cheerful and Inkspot is possibly my favorite shop in the world...who wouldn't love an old church converted into the craftstore of all craftstores and it sells everything from paper crafts to resin to jewelery supplies and stamps.
Theres also a bead shop called the Bead's nest i think around the corner from Roath park (can't remember the name of the road but its up a little alley just past the billabong bar heading up towards the park from Albany Road.)
As for Newport, Hobbycraft is good and The Range at Spytty Park is good for Acrylics, canvases etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
becs88

a lady never reveals her underwear by mistake

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008 12:45:39 PM »

Hey, theres loads of crafty stuff in Pughs Garden centre in Radyr, its well worth a visit. Not for fabric, but loads of inks/beads/papers/ribbons/paints and other random craftyness.
Also, if its fabric and sewing stuff you're after I recommend Fabric World on treforrest industrial estate. Bit further away, but worth it. If you take your nan with you you can get OAP discount on a tuesday Cheesy !! And also look out for their remnants clearance, they often sell nice offcuts for 25p-99p a meter BARGAIN!!

oh and btw, the arcade where the bead shop is is the same one as Hobos, Nice and Buzz and co (but i dont know what its called either!!)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008 12:49:05 PM by becs88 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

uninspired
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008 09:36:36 AM »

the arcade with nice, the fancy dress shop etc is high st arcade.  the one one the other side of st mary's street, with i claudius and the amazing second hand book shop is castle arcade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little welsh wonder!

dwi ddim yn greadigol, ond dwi'n siarad iaith y nefoedd!
hannah15326
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008 01:29:16 PM »

Hello
I have just moved to south wales and have been having a few crafty adventures in Cardiff.
The arcades off st marys are brilliant. Head towards the castle and to the left of the castle is Castle arcade (behind pizza express) theres a brilliant button shop there, wallt to ceiling with buttons, aswell as some great boutiques like lunacy where you can get alot of inspiration for projects from. To the right of the castle is High st arcade with th lovly bead shop.
City road has lots of fabric stores, I passed one the other day that advertised stocking libery fabrics which I shall be exploring at the weekend!
Im interested in the inkshop people have mentioned I pased the other day and didnt think it was a real shop! lol
Happy crafting everybody!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uninspired
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008 02:22:14 PM »

should also mention the range and what! on newport road also have a good range, and there are several crafty stalls in the indoor market in town

and ikea does a range of fabric too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little welsh wonder!

dwi ddim yn greadigol, ond dwi'n siarad iaith y nefoedd!
becs88

a lady never reveals her underwear by mistake

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008 11:31:38 AM »

Stumbled upon another craft shop today so thought i'd share. Its called Simply Craft, on Tyn-y-Pwll Road in Whitchurch, next to Euphoria. Its got a reasonable selection of beads, lots of inks and some amazing papers, glass paints and fabric paints. Also, if you go to the Cancer Research Wales charity shop (its just round the corner, on Pennline Road) they have a craft section, lots of sewing stuff to play with!

enjoy  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittyboo
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008 02:27:09 AM »

Hey, thanks for all the recommendations guys - I'll have fun checking them out!  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparkleyChaz
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008 11:22:32 AM »

Hello!
Thanks for everyones suggestions- I still haven't been to Inkspot but it sounds worthwhile!
There's a stationary shop in one of the arcades at the bottom of St Mary street (ie. furthest from castle), and they sell lots of art equipment like acrylic paint but also some cardmaking stuff, fimo, dylon dyes, coloured paper. Also they do student discount. The indoor market used to have a scrapbooking stall but the last few times I've been it's been closed. There is a fabric stall and a haberdashery stall with pretty ribbons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get an Acid-Washed Manicure
Purse Raid with Ariana Grande
Style Advice from Ariana Grande
Beauty Buys Under $15
Best Cream Blushes For Different Skin Tones
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...