A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Appreciate your dad?  (Read 2464 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

neonchibi
« on: June 05, 2007 04:12:32 PM »

My real dad lives about an hour and a half away from me
Growing up I only saw him once a year
For the last year or so hes been coming down to visit me and my sister every 3 months.

I wanted to make him a scapbook, as I know hes really depressed at the moment, and I wanted it to be something along the lines of
"Although we don't get to see you alot, we still appreciate all the things you do for us".. and then have photos of us growing up along side headings of what we appreciate.

It sounds crap to sound but I can't think of what I appreciate. When I think of who was there when I grazed my knee it was always my mum or step dad (my parents got divorced when I was 13 months).

So my question is, why do you appreicate your dad?

Please Please Please reply, I really dont want to send him another standard "Happy Fathers Day" card. I want this to be more meaningful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007 04:17:10 PM »

What do you do together when you do see him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007 04:20:11 PM »

I appreciate my dad because he helps me when I have problems, he always knows how to lighten up situations (he likes to joke even though he's not funny, which makes it funny Tongue), and he's just a great dad! I wouldn't have it any other way! I love my daddy! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
neonchibi
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007 04:25:19 PM »

What do you do together when you do see him?
He generally takes us out for a meal and then leaves again, I'm 19 and my sister is 21 so we're quite old now. When we used to see him before it was just doing kiddy things.
The only thing is we didnt see eachother from about age 13-18.. so anything I learnt he didnt teach.
Its very complicated to do a scrapbook with no theme lol, cos then its just a photo album
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007 04:37:21 PM »

Well, you appreciate when you did see him. You obviously don't want him to be sad so that means you love him. Right now that's probably all he needs. A photo album with pictures and loving phrases would make him happy.
"Although we don't get to see you alot, we still love you, dad."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
neonchibi
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007 04:51:32 PM »

Well, you appreciate when you did see him. You obviously don't want him to be sad so that means you love him. Right now that's probably all he needs. A photo album with pictures and loving phrases would make him happy.
"Although we don't get to see you alot, we still love you, dad."
I suppose, it just sucks. I'd love to be able to give my dad a book filled with pictures and things like "teaching us to ride our bikes".. Ah well..
Telling him I love him, rather than showing him why we love him is just as good.
Thank you for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007 05:04:15 PM »

maybe something about being thrilled or happy now that he's back in your lives...
is he a good listener?
is he supportive?
does he give you any wise words of advice?

I have to say, that I think it's wonderful he comes down to spend time with you guys every few months, when it would be so much easier to let things slide away...  Cheesy

it sounds like he is making a good effort to be involved in your lives Smiley

maybe include pages or pictures, collages, etc. of things you guys are doing now in your lives, personal things like your hobbies, silly pictures of anything that makes you smile or laugh, quotes from poetry or songs (I tell ya, even rock songs say some very poignant things Wink  ) 

pictures or descriptions of things you're looking forward to ...

You've got me thinking about what to do for my Dad this year  Smiley
Maybe just a little scrapbooklet (don't get overwhelmed trying to fill a bunch of large pages - keep it small and sweet, much less intimidating) of happy stuff - summer, seashells, flowers, birds, chocolate (lol) ...  so he gets a better sense of just who you are. Sometimes it's easier to do this than it is to actually speak them out loud.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007 05:05:57 PM by staciart » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FairyWings
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007 03:25:57 PM »

well since there aren't alot of moments with him you can be appreciative about .. how about thinsg about yourself?
 what kinda stuff did you inherit? besides physical traits. are there any characteristics that you share?

you could just do the picture book and then just have a fw sayinsg here and there  like next to a picture  of your face you could point out a feature you both have .. eyes, nose chin?

I know how you feel sorta. I was really young when my parents divorced ( not sure how old  maybe 5 yrs old .. can't remember that far back)
 I saw my dad a  bit more than you did though. astill.. i dunno what to get him.. was thinking of something sentimental but like you, i'd run out of words way too soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShimmeringFae
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007 10:52:51 AM »

I appreciate my dad because even through all the crap I've done,
all the times I've yelled at him to "just leave me alone,"
all of my problems with respecting teachers and adults,
my series of fantastic grades,
and my complaining;
he still loves me and doesn't resent me. how raising a child can render such unconditional love, I dont quite comprehend but I do know
I appreciate my dad because he loves me.
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Large Clam Recipe
Dorado Fish in Salsa Sauce Recipe
Scallops in Vinaigrette Sauce Recipe
Scallops and Rice Recipe
Rock Fish in Cilantro Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...