A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: copyright question with screenprint/stencils  (Read 1302 times)
Tags for this thread: copyright  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spareGus
« on: June 05, 2007 02:27:20 PM »

Sorry, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...Does anyone know if there are copyright issues when you've taken an image and made it into a stencil/screenprint?  The original look of the photo was changed since I used photoshop to pull up the contrast and I also took some artistic license when blocking it off.
Anyway, this is the image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/sofkuri_girl/artwork/georgesays.jpg

Obviously (at least to me) this is George Harrison...and mostly I'm concerned b/c of the fact that I'm sure plenty of people are looking out for their copyrights.  So anyway, in your opinion, would I have a problem selling anything that I may print this on?
Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007 07:57:27 AM »

Yes, you probably would have problems somewhere. With celebrity comes rights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spareGus
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007 10:08:31 AM »

right, that is what i figured...just wasn't sure on how they figure it when it comes to manipulation of an image or artistic renderings and such.

i wonder what happens to those people that draw/paint pictures of celebrities and sell them on the street and such?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lolaness

Live Like You Mean It...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007 10:38:47 AM »

right, that is what i figured...just wasn't sure on how they figure it when it comes to manipulation of an image or artistic renderings and such.

i wonder what happens to those people that draw/paint pictures of celebrities and sell them on the street and such?

The difference here is about creation ... if someone is drawing a picture from scratch, they're creating it without any copyrighted material involved. Manipulating an image still works with an original, copyrighted image that isn't your copyright. Maybe that helps clear it up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spareGus
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007 02:57:30 PM »

i can definately see that, though, i have to say that i've seen plenty of drawings/paintings that are direct copies. 
anyhow, it's not a big deal, more curiousity than anything else.

thanks for your input, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinytoe
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007 03:06:21 PM »

Actually, celebrity likenesses are also off limits, even those created from scratch. I sculpted a doll to sell on eBay that had the likeness of a famous singer and my auction got pulled for infringement by the company that manages her.

If you're selling your item online, I'd say "don't risk it."  There are law firms trolling the internet just looking to bust people (even some that aren't even associated with the party in question). And who needs that kind of grief?   Shocked

THIS ROCKS   Logged
spareGus
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007 03:16:28 PM »

that's interesting to know...and i find the whole thing slightly disturbing.
like i said, though, it isn't a big deal to me, i'm perfectly happy to keep the print to myself and love it...i was curious because i had a couple people ask to pay me to make them things with the image also, but, now i definately won't!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taerowyn

Let's hope we're worth it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007 12:45:14 PM »

that's interesting to know...and i find the whole thing slightly disturbing.

It actually makes sense though. You're making money off of their celebrity. The image wouldn't sell as well if it was your Uncle George telling people to study chemistry, the appeal is that it's George Harrison...no matter how you made the image, the appeal/profit stems from the celebrity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty McWist

I am de-stashing a *ridiculous* amount of stamping supplies (mostly Stampin' Up)...PM if you're interested in purchasing or swapping for them
spareGus
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007 06:26:07 AM »

well, i'd like to think that i had some part of the appeal, with the style i use and the quote and all.  Wink
i guess all i need to do now is find an uncle george...one who bears a striking resemblance to g.h....so i won't have to change my stencil!  obviously, jk. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pashama
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007 06:45:35 AM »

Is there a way around this though?

For example, I make things using pinup girl images. 
I was told I can include the trademark on the image and I will not get into trouble by selling the craft.

Is this true? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Construct a Bunny Sculpture - Part 1
Learn About the Art of Hockey Exhibit at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia
Hockey Art at the Vancouver Museum of Art
Reese Kadaner Rakita - Artist Profile
Learn About the Body Worlds Exposition
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...