A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cup Pies  (Read 1248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jay2themie
« on: February 01, 2008 08:50:56 PM »

So I'm not sure if there are any Pushing Daisies fans here, but for Valentine's Day I want to make cup pies. For those who don't know, they're cupcake sized pies (i.e. not tarts... we'll save that argument for another topic). Anyways, when baking the pies in a cupcake/muffin pan, should I use cupcake liners? I'm afraid that cooking spray won't make them come out when they're done but cupcake liners wont let them cook fully. Should I maybe invest in a cylicone (sp?) pan?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008 07:35:20 AM »

Damn, i miss me some pushing daisies!!!

I wouldn't use the cupcake paper liners for this, I think it would somehow reduce the whole cup pie experience.  I guess it's because can't imagine eating regular pie out of a paper liner.  You could always make a small batch (2 of each) each way and see how each way turns out.  If you are going with silcone, you could always get the individual cup ones.  Then you could chose to serve them in the container or out.

ps dont forget to bake some cheese into the crust!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindseyt
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008 02:15:25 PM »

I'd go without the liners.  As you get the hang of getting the pies out of the pan would be to just do the crusts for pudding pies or other pies that don't need baked.  Take the crusts out of the pan and then fill them.

Another option would be to get the foil cupcake liners that can stand alone.  Then you could bake the pie in the liner and remove the liner before serving.  You wouldn't have to deal with removing the pie intact from the pan, and the liner would leave an interesting texture/design on the pie crust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008 02:17:22 PM »

I have made little mince pies in cupcake pans and they came out fine. If they stick a little I just turn them over (holding very close to the plate to prevent breaking) and give a little tap, they always pop right out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
lindseyt
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008 09:47:26 AM »

I found a recipe in Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor for peach cobbler cupcakes--basically a cup pie!

For the crust she used 1 pkg refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts/pkg).  She then cut 4 4 1/2 inch circles out of each crust using a plastic lit or cardboard as a stencil.  Place the circles of dough into the cupcake tin and gently press down to fit the tin.  She then filled it with peaches, though you could use just about anything that could go in a pie.  The scraps of dough were used for a lattice topping, and the cobblers were baked 16-18 minutes.  Let them cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  Then run a knife along them and lift them up from the bottoms of the cups.  Pick them up carefully with your fingertips.

And then you have cup cobbler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
havocritic
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008 11:14:12 PM »

As soon as Chuck showed up with her Cup Pies, I thought, "I have to make those!"

Thanks for the recipe, lindseyt.  I will try it this weekend and come back with results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008 06:39:56 AM »

I made a 2 crust tiny pie in a similar way - I bought the frozen pie crust (the flat kind in a box, not the one in a pie tin) and used biscuit/cookie cutters to cut out one large and one medium circle for each pie. Put a spoon ful of filling on the big circle (jam, pie filling, pretty much anything). Then put the smaller circle on top, pinch the sides together, cut a small slit in the top to release steam, sprinkle some colored sugar on top if desired, and bake in a cupcake pan until pie-colored.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Crpy Fried Onions Are
What Are Bragg or Tamari
What Is Bok Choy
How to Cook Rice in a Pot
Learn Which Thai Chili to Use
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...