A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,653
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not clothes but something you wear once a month!  (Read 6636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MommyMac
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007 05:32:57 PM »

Wow I can't believe how many people use the Diva cup or Keeper! That's great! I didn't use any special waterproof material to prevent leakage since my leakage is minimal, it probably wouldn't go through, but it's a good idea!

My flow is pretty heavy and like I said I only get minimal leakage and I can leave it in for quite a while. I love the keeper because I don't get irritated, I don't find I get any odor with it, compared to when I use pads!

Wow that was pretty personal! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather live like there is a God to die and find out there isn't, than live like there isn't a God to die and find out there is."

"Cleaning with children is like stapling Jell-o to the wall"
MommyMac
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007 05:34:54 PM »

i might try this ....... by the way does the diva cup work?

I've wondered the same thing. I started making some flannel pantiliners, and wondered how well the cup works. I hate tampons with a passion, the waste they create, the irritation etc...etc...I know.... to much info, but you gotta ask....lol

The cup/keeper works well, but with some leakage if you have a heavy flow! Hence the cloth pads! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather live like there is a God to die and find out there isn't, than live like there isn't a God to die and find out there is."

"Cleaning with children is like stapling Jell-o to the wall"
Na0mi
Vanillicious

Please do not attempt to change the channel.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007 05:39:57 PM »

How cool are you!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Youre a Rusty Nail, a Beef Stew, A Lugaroo. Thats Gangsta talk for a Nobody!"

Elegant Elliot Offen.
Lewre
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007 05:41:03 PM »

Hm...this is turning out to be quite the discussion. lol.  I haven't thought much about using reusable pads like this, but I'm thinking I might try.  Almost all of the questions I had about them have been answered.  Just a couple more...isn't it icky to keep used ones in your purse, even if they are in a plastic bag?  Is it a ziploc bag, and does the odor stay contained in the bag?  Do you rinse them out as soon as you change them?  If so, hot or cold water?  If you have a very heavy flow do you have to make a thicker pad?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notverytalented
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007 06:27:20 PM »

These look very nice.  There are a couple of other good tutes on these forums.  Lots of different options for patterns.  Even just doing a google search will bring up free patterns.  I use cotton knit, with poly fleece for the inside, a bit of a liner made from a polyester fabric shower curtain and then cotton knit again on the outside.  Much more comfy than the wood pulp throw away kind.  Cheaper too, although that isn't why I started making them.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18462.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=99412.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nesse
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007 07:01:05 PM »

alright, so I may be a little naive.. but I have no idea what the Diva cup or keeper is. I have a picture in my head... haha. but I'm not completely sure. =runs off to search google=
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sin esperanza
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007 06:23:24 PM »

Yay for cloth pads!  I just found the awesomest patterned fabric (flannel) and am going to make a set of myself... I use them with my moon cup (just a different company but basically a keeper/diva cup).

Nesse - I'd never seen them either and them a friend bought one... they're a lot easier to use than the shape suggests!

Lewre - The odour is caused by contact with air so you can just put them into a zip lock bag (or something else that is airtight!) and the smell won't leak out.  I usually rinse them out in cold water straight away if I'm not at home, wring them out and put them in the zip lock bag, fold the bag and stash it into my lucky vuvla coin purse (which I modified so it now has waterpfroof lining (PUL)!!  If I'm at home I just soak them in a bucket of cold water and wash them separately.  Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate handing over money for what I could just as easily do myself, it makes me nervous.  ~Sylvia Plath

My STS 33

Altered Fairy Tales Swap
deepgreen29
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007 12:04:49 AM »

Nice job with that pattern!  It really is that easy, everyone should try these Wink

To answer the questions, the diva cup (i use a mooncup, similar thing) works great!!  I love it, and will never go back.  I am buying one as a gift for my sister too, since I wish I'd known about it earlier.

My pads are flannel too, but just zigzagged around the edges (or serged), I like to use water proof fabric like pul (polyurethane laminate)  For a backing, but it's not necessary as long as you change often.

When I'm out, a plastic bag in the purse works great.  I don't rinse mine, I put them in a lidded container in the laundry room til wash day.  They do dry out, but I don't have stains. 

/tmi out Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alatheia
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007 01:18:05 AM »

but don't you see it when you wear pants? I mean, they make the commercial things as thin as possible, so you won't see them. But fabric is a lot thicker. and do you just use fabric, or do you put something inside it to absorb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
educo
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007 09:11:11 PM »

I have a tip for stains.  Hydrogen peroxide.  The hydrogen peroxide reacts with the properties of the flow and it magically washes out.  It's pretty fascinating to watch it foam as its doing its work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Cook Asparagus
Italian Sausage & Stuffed Mushrooms Recipes
Baked Potato
Seafood Gumbo
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...