A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,101
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bra making help? Advice/moral support would be very welcome.  (Read 461 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chamaecyparis
« on: June 05, 2007 10:17:44 AM »

Ok, I think I've finally reached the breaking point.  It's basically impossible to find bras in my size (32 D), especially non-underwire ones.  So, I've come to the inevitable conclusion that I should try making my own. 

I'm pretty much a novice at sewing, however, so I'm kind of intimidated.  I don't think I could do it without a pattern, and taking apart an old bra and making my own pattern (or recycling the components) is not really an option.

If anyone has a pattern recommendation I would be very, very greatful.  Ideally, I'd like something without an underwire (and one that doesn't look like an old-lady bra, which everything in my size at the bra store did).  I'm willing to make modifications if necessary, though.  Any other tips  would be most welcome as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007 12:53:11 PM »

I haven't tried making one yet, but sewsassy.com has some nice patterns. Kwick sew also has a few patterns that look rather nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
seampoints
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007 04:24:04 PM »

I'm afraid I can't give you any advice, but as far as moral support goes I'm behind you all the way and am seriously considering making some underwear sets myself. I've never made underwear before either.

I am absolutely desperate for bras, I don't exagerate in saying most of my bras are in holes, I've had most of them for +5 years! I know, I know!

Underwear is easy to find in my size and shape but my dilemma is I want pretty, beautiful, interesting looking underwear thats not made by some little kid abroad.

I've never had underwear I really loved or loved myself in. I have spent so much time looking for "ethical" underwear online that I'm really giving up now. Everything is either really boring or not supportive/ practical.

When I do find something I really love it costs an absolute bomb. I really don't mind paying more for something if its sold by a company I believe in but you have to draw the line somewhere. I don't earn alot of money in my job and half a weeks wages for 1 bra and knicker set is crazy to me.

As already mentioned I think the kwicksew patterns seem to be about the nicest, so I might go with one of those paterns to suss it all out and maybe redraft as I go.

Really, goodluck with the sewing, maybe if alot of people express and interest we could make this a sew along and all help each other.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007 07:31:41 PM »

I was going to say Kwik Sew, but it looks like I've already been beat to it. I've worked with kwik sew before, although I haven't made undergarments yet, but I love their patterns. They are so easy and the directions are easy to follow AND they have real paper instead of that tissue paper stuff. The pattern says it can do a 32 D, so I'd try it. I <3 Kwik Sew  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chamaecyparis
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007 06:40:48 AM »

Thanks for the help, everyone!  The Kwick-sew patterns look pretty good, so I think I will start there.  Seampoints, non-sweatshop clothing is one of my goals as well, so I understand where you're coming from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Whileywoo
Cats.Dogs.Rats.Cake.Tea.HP.Firefly.DrWho=Happy.

Blue. Lots of.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007 02:25:46 PM »

I'm a 32 E and struggle horrendously! Everyone assumes they're not real, and thus i have the funds to buy super duper special ones from somewhere. Sad

I'd love to have a bash at this so i'm looking too! I'll support you if you support me Tongue And share finds?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007 02:26:19 PM by Whileywoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gifting helps the heart grow, recieving doesn't hurt either. Smiley

http://www.wists.com/whileywoo
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007 04:57:22 AM »

There's a huge thread about this already.  Check it out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Silver Kimono Pendant
Fabulous Twirled Edge Scarf
Elegant Equestrian Doily
How to Make Ribbon Yarn Pillow Sham
Felted Sock Monkey - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...