A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first halter/tube top  (Read 2131 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chocolate_luvver

IT'S CHOCOTASTIC! =]

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2007 10:13:53 AM »

well like the subject say this is my first top i've made and well it was really tricky. i didn't really use a pattern i kinda just winged it, but i really just wanted to try out the ribbon gathering thing (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=25124.0)it turned out great and i love the top its so cute except for the back Sad but if anyone has some tip to help next time i'd love it! Grin well heres the pictures

here its the whole thing also you can tuck the ribbon in and have a tube top

heres a closeup of scrunchy part

see the polka dots don't match up and the zipper is lumpy

comment and/or criticism are appreciated   Grin

thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onechancefancy
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007 10:31:27 AM »

The front looks really cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maliaka
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007 10:40:02 AM »

Oh that's so cute! I've been seeking out different methods of bust gathering and I think I wanna try this one out!!
About the lumpy zipper...your shirt looks to be stretchy, if so than perhaps the fabric ended up getting stretched as you sewed the zipper down. Whenever you stretch stretchy fabric when you sew it will always end up lumpy and weird looking. I learned that the hard way myself, haha. Oh and that also explains why the blue part didn't match up because it's pretty tricky to match up stretchy fabric because it's so 'slippery'. Hope that explains it.
But don't worry, the zipper looks sooo cute on your shirt, that "DIY" look is popular these days anyway, ha ha Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Winter Lights Clothing ~
http://www.winterlights.etsy.com
chocolate_luvver

IT'S CHOCOTASTIC! =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007 12:10:32 PM »

thanks onechancefancy and Maliaka i see now why it got lumpy i just have to be more careful and try not to strech it. also it was really easy to make the gathering probably the easiest part of the whole thing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007 12:19:37 PM »

I agree, the fabric looks very stretchy to me...

A few tips, from someone who has been there.... First of all, if it's stretchy (particularly t-shirt material, which this looks like it probably is), then you may not even need a zipper. Personally, I like not having to fuss with them, so if you can avoid it, I would suggest it.

Secondly, check out your sewing machine manual (if it's still around!) and see if it says anything about stretch stitch function. My new machine has it, my mom's old one doesn't. Does your machine say "SS" on the stitch lenghth dial? If yes, then set your machine to that stitch length when sewing stretch material. If not, then check the manual to see if it says anything about differant fabric styles. Also, while I am not knowledgeable about which tricks might help you sew stretch w/o a stretch stitch function (as I avoided stretch when I could with my mom's machine), I'm sure that someone on here probably does know about it, and you might start a question topic to see if anyone has ideas.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chocolate_luvver

IT'S CHOCOTASTIC! =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007 12:30:23 PM »

yes the fabric is very strechy but the blue polka dotted isnt.

thanks lafemmedramatique ur tips are very helpful ill look in the sewing manual about that. but the reason i had a zipper is because the blue isnt strechy and i cut it too small but other than that i wouldnt have put a zipper but the tips are helpful for next time

thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007 02:16:30 PM »

That is really cute!!!

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
cloudyweather
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007 02:58:01 PM »

that is really cute, i LOVE polka dots in any colour and style.

if you're worried about showing off the lumpy zipper, you could always wear a little shrug or something over it, that way no one will ever know about the zipper unless you tell them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolate_luvver

IT'S CHOCOTASTIC! =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007 06:27:24 AM »

if you're worried about showing off the lumpy zipper, you could always wear a little shrug or something over it, that way no one will ever know about the zipper unless you tell them!

thats a great idea! and then i can where it in the winter with a cute jacket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007 07:34:11 AM »

The stitching is not what's making the zipper lumpy.  What's doing it is the fact that when you stretch something crosswise (like around your body) the length shrinks a little.  The zipper, having no strech whatsoever, stays the original length, while the fabric shortens a little to accommodate the stretch.  If you decide to do this again, try making the top a little looser, or put hooks on the non strechy part and sew together the knit parts, and skip the zipper all together.

Otherwise it looks great from the front!  I second the shrug idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrity Stylist Phillip Bloch Talks About Super Bowl Fashion
4 Cool Ways to Incorporate a Beanie Into Your Outfit
Altuzarra Spring 2014 New York Fashion Week - Interviews & Runway
3 Cool Ways to Wear 1 Plaid Top
Fashions Created with Recycled Materials
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...