A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japan traveling questions  (Read 4599 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thechocolatemilkgirl

We'll eat you up we love you so!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007 05:06:26 PM »

I don't know how close you live to St. Paul, but the gift shops at the Historical Society are full of wonderfully unique Minnesotan items.  It would be worth checking out!

(shameless plug)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007 10:32:59 PM »

What a great experience for your daughter. I am sure with an open mind like hers, she'll have a great time here. The suggestions that people have given are all so helpful and I really don't have much to add to the conversation- Just want to reiterate that cash is always great to have here. I've only been here about 6 weeks, but not once have I seen a local national use a credit card. Here, it's cash cash cash! Here's a good tip if she does use her card at a register though: They will ask you "1 or 2?" They're asking if you want them to swipe the card one time or twice. I have no idea why you'd ever want them to swipe it twice, but let her know that "1" is always the correct answer Smiley

She will notice that her curling iron will take a long time to warm up and that her blow dryer doesn't work as efficiently here (its takes almost twice as long to dry my hair here), but other than that, the plugs are all the same.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007 10:34:28 PM by PaperBag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

xcrunnergirl
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007 10:52:53 PM »

If you can get it in time, I would reccomend the Japanese Phrase Book and Dictionary by Berlitz. (ISBN 2-8315-6267-8) I speak some Japanese, but I borrowed this book from a friend and found it very handy. It has useful phrases and sentences in English, romanized prononciations, and Japanese script which she could show to someone if there are still misunderstandings. It has little color coded edges of sections like food, transportation, health (very important to be able to communicate; I found that out the hard way!)

I wish your daughter all the best of luck! I'm sure it'll be an amazing trip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008 10:17:45 AM »

I'm just jumping in with this a really long time after the conversation, but this is just in case anyone else reads:

I've been to japan twice and here are my tips:

- The post office ATM's have never turned down my debit card and have a better exchange rate than (usually) your bank, AMEX or the exchange places at the airport.
- I have had some trouble finding places that take cards, but usually its the convenience stores and smaller family restaurants. Large department stores, tourist locations, or chains stores usually do take credit cards.
- make sure you call your credit card company and let them know you will be traveling so they don't decline your card. Make sure that your first purchase is a small amount or you will have to wait for them to call the card security number.
- A LOT more people than you think speak english (I have had no problem ordering food at a chain restaurant in english, like McDonalds). and they will all at least try to stumble through a conversation, just be patient. If they dont' speak english, they will usually ask someone nearby to help translate for you.
- pronounce the word for excuse me (sumimasen) as "See Ma Sen" - you will have a MUCH better response. people won't even look, they'll get out of your way.
- dont' be disappointed if the hawkers outside the subway stations don't give you samples of what ever it is they are selling - they normally won't.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
Dai-chan
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008 10:20:45 PM »

i know this is old but how did your daughter like Japan?

I actually live in Fukui! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Logos in Photoshop
How to Create Natural Light on Glamour Portrait
How to Change the Color of an Image
How to Work on a scenic photograph in Photoshop
How to Tidy Up Your Images in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...