Here’s an afghan I completed a few weeks ago. It was my gift to my maid of honor (I got married a few weeks ago).
It’s based on a modified granny square, the same that’s being used in the 12” Crochet Square of the Month Craftalong (the October
square, the “Solid Stripe”).
I used a J hook instead of a G as directed and the squares ended up being 14”. I added a dc border in each stitch in white. The yarn for both the borders and the squares was Caron Simply Soft in Raspberry and White.
Here are some more pictures of them being blocked and a close up of the detail. They’re laid upon a towel on my carpet and I used straight pins to place the red squares into shape.
The afghan is made up of 20 squares (five rows of four squares). I added the white dc border to each square later, then connected the squares using sc with the ridge on top. Finally, I finished the afghan with a few more rows of an sc border in the same colors.
And now, the long history of this project. In a fit of craziness, I originally thought that I could do five of these in six months, one for each bridesmaid,
while also planning my wedding.
Wiser heads than I on this board told me that I shouldn’t try to do this, and I took the suggestion of one of the posters who said only to focus on the maid of honor.
I tried another pattern at first, but it didn’t work out
So I ended up unwinding it and using the squares.
Thanks for reading!