A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Necktie Corset Belt - Now with tutorial on page 4  (Read 96763 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , belt , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2004 11:13:28 AM »

Here is another photo of the belts.  It was hard to tell in the first photos that there is a black binding around the edge.  Next time I make these I promise to post a tutorial.

: )  Laura K
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008 10:58:54 AM by rickrackruby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenfish
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2004 11:20:01 AM »

I would totally wear one! Please post a tute! They look great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004 12:11:03 PM »

Yet another reason to covet old neckties!  Great retro look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
deftonesfantasy
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2004 05:11:25 PM »

absolutely beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheWrongGirl
The illest MF from here to Gardena

Amps.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2004 08:44:34 PM »

This is such an awesome idea. I made one for my friend's girlfriend for Xmas but it's nowhere near as rad looking as yours.  Thank you for sharing this idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blah.
lucytortilla
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2004 03:49:24 PM »

The decoritive stitching and edge binding really make it look clean and crisp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twirly-girly
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2004 12:51:47 PM »

Smiley  this is so awesome!!  my husband has a crap-load of ties that we don't know what to do with... now we do!  so, so sweet!

thanks!!

becky b.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i eat paste
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2004 03:32:14 PM »

do you think there will be a tutorial before x-mas? oh please please please!! i think my friend would love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skirt
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2004 02:49:23 PM »

wowowowowowow! i love this!!

now to pull out all my old ties that have been waiting for a cool project like this!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeroplane blonde

handmade clothing & accessories!
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2004 04:04:37 PM »

Hi Girls,

Thanks so much for your interest in this design. 

First, collect your ties - you'll need about 8 - 10 of the wide ones from the 70's.   Also pictured are packages of "Wright's Double Fold Bias Tape Extra Wide" and ""Wright's Bias Tape Double Fold" - either width will work, this tute will feature the extra wide tape.  You'll also need the Dritz Large Eyelet kit, and about 2.5 yards of 5/8-inch wide black velvet ribbon.  Of course you can substitute whatever you like for these items - be creative!

Cut off the bottom 7 inches of the tie (You can make a hat from these!)  Then cut the NEXT four inches from the remaining piece of tie.  This is the section that works for the belt.   They should be between 3 and 4 inches wide at the widest point and tapered. 

My sewing machine has a triple zigzag stitch.  It's one of the decorative stitches.  If your machine doesn't have this, you can use a regular wide zigzag with a heavier thread.

Okay - Basically sew the sections together with the wide zigzag.  Just feed the sections through side by side - no pins, no "right side together."  Keep the wider edges at the bottom - you'll get a curved shape - like a smile -  after all 8 or 10 sections are sewn together.   Keep checking for fit to determine how many sections to add.

Here is a close-up of the back:

Now remove any tags, labels or loops from the back of the ties and zigzag over the seam in the center back of each section.

When it is long enough, round off the corners at the ends of the belt.  I do this by tracing a junk cd with chalk around each of the four corners and trimming. 

Now, serge or staystitch about 1/8-inch around the entire edge of the belt.

Here is a close-up:

Then pin the folded bias tape all the way around.  The tape wraps around the edge of the belt so that the front and back are both outlined with the black bias.  I use regular long pins on the straight sides of the belt and then small short pins on the curved ends.  This is the most difficult part of the project.  Just be patient and pin carefully.  Remember the shorter side of the bias tape goes on the front side of the belt and the longer edge of tape wraps around to the back of the belt.

Stitch to secure the bias tape with the same wide zigzag stitch all the way around removing pins as you go.

Install three grommets on each end of the belt according to the package intructions.

Now lace up with ribbon.

Voila!

Please give this project a try.  Some of these techniques might be new to you but they are not hard, I promise.

Take care - and let me know if you have any questions.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2004 11:38:57 AM by rickrackruby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jim Power and the Mosaic Trail
The Brass Ring Project
The Art of Wax Sculpting
The Guinness Museum of Automata
Jesse Hackett Sculpts Recycled Instruments
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...