A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TShirts reconned into Goth-Lolita-Esqe, Army & Corset T's (*edit: TUT on 2nd pg)  (Read 6438 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missmynxx
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009 09:32:53 PM »

Oh my GOD these are beautiful!! You're very talented! I'm in love with Gothic Lolita style things myself - and that first shirt is fucking sex in fabric. If you do find a bit of time this weekend, a tute for that first one would ROCK.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
S.E. Hardy
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009 02:52:04 PM »

that first shirt is fucking sex in fabric. If you do find a bit of time this weekend, a tute for that first one would ROCK.  Shocked
HA!
that is so perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All-Natural Hand-Crafted Family-Made Soap!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SemiNomadicSoap
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009 10:27:22 AM »

So the first one's getting a tute? Sweet! I'm trying to figure out the front bit. Did you recycle the sleeves or use extra fabric left from the shirt? I could come up with some sort of replica, but I'm not sure it would be that nice... t-shirt recons have been full of errors for me.

I absolutely love the third one, the front panel is VERY well done.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Toxic.Onyx
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009 01:43:54 PM »

I basically just cut the top of t-shirt (from just below the armpit area) off, cut out a triangle shape from the bottom (just above the bust) and re-attached it....word of warning though, I accidentally cut out the middle of the collar of the t-shirt, it might work better if you stopped right below the the collar. I didn't do that, so I had to add a button.
Sorry if that's not clear, I will attempt to be clearer in the tut
THIS ROCKS   Logged

memento vivere
Mivzi
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009 05:29:19 PM »

those are AWESOME. i would love you forever if you made a tut on the last one. i tried to do a similar one but it came out awful, how'd you get yours to come out so clean?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toxic.Onyx
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009 08:53:53 PM »

Ok...so here goes my first attempt at a tutorial...I have now realized why Paint is better that Photoshop for this purpose.

Ok...so to make the first t-shirt I began by just cutting horizontally underneath the armpits, to create a delightful tube.
Lay this tube over an existing t-shirt that does fit you the way you want it, and cut vertically up the sides about 2-3 inches in from the side of the t-shirt that does fit you(depending on how wide you want the side panels to be. These will end up to be 4-6").
Save the fabric you cut out. If you want the side panels to be 5" each, trim the panels to be about 6" wide (for seam allowance). I chose to put fishnet overtop, so I laid my fishnet overtop of these panels and just cut out rectangles of the same shape (with a bit extra for seam allowance).
Next,...is a really simple step that seems complicated to describe. Reassemble your tube but inside out, pinning all 4 seams together. Flip it right-side out before sewing just to check that all the seams will look nice (I tend to make silly mistakes like this and have to unpick a lot of seams). Then...sew.
Whenever I say inside out, it generally means I have the two right-sides of the fabric (that will end up outside) facing towards each other.

Ok, not you have a tube that fits you and stops just underneath the bust. Re-attach it to your t-shirt (the fact that it's much smaller somehow didn't seem to factor in for me here; it could help to sew a sort-of L-shape while it's inside to make the sleeve/armpit/area-thing smaller. Sorry that's a really vague and confusing tip....

When I was doing this I just made it up as I went along. I cut diagonally from underneath the armpit of the shirt up to just below the collar. (I did the front & back seperately, be carefuly not to accidentally both layers at once).
I also accidentally just cut right through the collar and lost about 2 or 3" so I had to cut it up the center and add a button so I could get it over my head....although, I think it turned out the better for it .
Cut the sleeves to the length that you want them, keeping in mind you'll be adding trim.
I chose to also have an open back. After cutting out the shape, I just turned the edges under & sewed them so there weren't any raw edges.

Now...just flip the whole shirt inside out and re-attach the pieces you just cut off (now minus the trapezoid shapes). it should look pretty much finished except for the trim.
I cut the same fishnet material I used for the side panels into long strips, just over and inch wide and twice the diameter of the neck or sleeve holes they were intended for. Once again, sew them on inside out. For the neck I didn't put the two right sides of the fabric together because I thought the collar would bulge weirdly, I just sewed the right side of the fishnet (not that it really has one...to the inside (wrong side) of the collar.

I cut a slit up the collar, then I just sewed on a button on one side of my collar and cut a little whole on the other side for a button hole.

I think that's everything....let me know if anything needs to be clarifed or whatnot. Next time I'll take pictures as I sew and it will be a lot easier to explain.
Oh, and you could easily leave out the panels on the side if you wanted.
If anyone makes a shirt with this, I would love to see it  Cheesy

And Mivzi, I used this to make the last one: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=218126&ppuser=167159
I'm sorry, I forget where I found it.
These are the pictures I took while making it, I did it quite a while ago:

If you have any questions, just ask Smiley

Hope that helps! (and isn't atrociously confusing....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

memento vivere
moosecafejf

IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009 04:03:25 PM »

I'm all about the third one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009 03:13:55 PM »

wow...those awesome. I reall like the second two.
Especially the last one. I am always looking for new ways to reconstruct my band tees as the smallest death metal shirt I have ever found was a Youth LG. Usually I have to buy the Men's small. BTW, I am a juniors XS.lol

I love when I wear my recons to shows and everyone is like "WOAH!"  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spicy Guacamole
How to Cook Caribbean Halibut
Chocolate Sticky Buns by Chef Jehangir Mehta at Graffiti
Snow Crab Legs
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...