A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 307,944
Currently Running With Scissors:
230 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cowrie Falls  (Read 4615 times)
Tags for this thread: shell , yarn , hair_fall , belly_dance  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2007 08:10:00 PM »

I came across a tutorial for making cowrie hair falls on Tribe a while back, and really wanted to make some.  The hardest part, for me, was to find the cowries at a cheap enough price (I found some, uncut, that I have yet to decide if I'm keeping before finding them with the back cut off).  It's just yarn and shells, but I have some dreads that I'm going to be adding shells to also (once I find my steamer) while making them.  BTW, these are for belly dance, and faire.  I love the look of Oojam, the local group that works the BIG ren faire here in So Cal, and seeing as it's a heck of a lot cooler that my usual wear, I'm collecting a bit here and a bit there in preparation.

and a closer look

I'm leaning towards a blue/green theme, lol.  I haven't decided what I am doing for the ends, so I left them long for now.  Since it's pure wool yarn (and according to the packaging, it's for felting once knitted/crocheted), I may felt the ends to give it a rougher/earthy look.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
sprinklez
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007 05:50:31 PM »

Very pretty.

I want an action shot!

Put it in your hair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetybeads
www.pandahallca.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007 06:30:47 PM »

that's nice, how to use it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pandahallca.com/beads/
-beads online store, we supply beads, findings, tools for your creativity.
Welcome to our Ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.ca/Chinabeadsandfindings
here there are many distinctive auction everyday~!
Sorcha Griannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007 10:33:07 PM »

Very pretty.

I want an action shot!

Put it in your hair!
lol, I had planned on it...till my nice new camera died.  I'm waiting for it's replacement so I can get a few shots:)

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
Sorcha Griannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007 10:34:27 PM »

that's nice, how to use it?
Its to put in the hair (or on a belt) for a tribal-style belly dance look.

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
Cadmium_Red
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007 03:39:40 AM »

Lovely, I've been wanting to try and make some too, still looking for the cowries! Yours is really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain
kasihime
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007 01:04:49 PM »

The hardest part, for me, was to find the cowries at a cheap enough price (I found some, uncut, that I have yet to decide if I'm keeping before finding them with the back cut off). em.  BTW, these are for belly dance, and faire.  I love the look of Oojam, the local group that works the BIG ren faire here in So Cal, and seeing as it's a heck of a lot cooler that my usual wear, I'm collecting a bit here and a bit there in preparation.

Sorcha

HEY! My bellydance instructor is the director of Oojahm, her name is Marjhani!

I'm local to So Cal as well! Where do you take classes?

You should check out www.firemountain.com for cheaper (but still great quality) cowrie shells. You can get them w/ cut backs or drilled!

-Kasi ^_^

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sorcha Griannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007 10:42:19 PM »

The hardest part, for me, was to find the cowries at a cheap enough price (I found some, uncut, that I have yet to decide if I'm keeping before finding them with the back cut off). em.  BTW, these are for belly dance, and faire.  I love the look of Oojam, the local group that works the BIG ren faire here in So Cal, and seeing as it's a heck of a lot cooler that my usual wear, I'm collecting a bit here and a bit there in preparation.

Sorcha

HEY! My bellydance instructor is the director of Oojahm, her name is Marjhani!

I'm local to So Cal as well! Where do you take classes?

You should check out www.firemountain.com for cheaper (but still great quality) cowrie shells. You can get them w/ cut backs or drilled!

-Kasi ^_^

OMG, she is wonderful, isn't she!?!  I had messaged her to let her know that I put up a few videos on youtube of her group to make sure it was ok, and she was really the sweetest person.  I wanted to take her "pops and locks" workshop, but ended up having to work that day (grumblegrumblegrowl) Wink  If her class wasn't the same day as mine, I would be taking it.  Mine ends 15 minutes after her's starts.  I'm up in Hesperia, and am taking classes at the Hook community center in Victorville with Jennifer.  At this point, I'm at 8 months of classes and loving it.  Jennifer's troupe is Burning Incense.  They are going to be at Cairo Caravan this weekend.  Are you going?

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
Sorcha Griannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007 10:48:26 PM »

I looked at firemountain.com (love their stuff) while I was price matching, and it ended up almost double the cost I paid off ebay for the same amount.  I think i got 2-3 lbs for under $20, backs cut.  Funny thing is, the same seller had the same qty listed (2-3 listings actually) for 30 & 40-something dollars.  I'm really happy with them.  I did buy some uncut, unfortunately the sizes are not consistant.  The majority are medium/large, but a lot are on the small and ex-small side.  Eh, something will come up for them:)  Filler for the tribal bra I'm planning

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
kasihime
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007 08:46:05 AM »

[/quote]
OMG, she is wonderful, isn't she!?!  I had messaged her to let her know that I put up a few videos on youtube of her group to make sure it was ok, and she was really the sweetest person.  I wanted to take her "pops and locks" workshop, but ended up having to work that day (grumblegrumblegrowl) Wink  If her class wasn't the same day as mine, I would be taking it.  Mine ends 15 minutes after her's starts.  I'm up in Hesperia, and am taking classes at the Hook community center in Victorville with Jennifer.  At this point, I'm at 8 months of classes and loving it.  Jennifer's troupe is Burning Incense.  They are going to be at Cairo Caravan this weekend.  Are you going?

Sorcha
[/quote]
You should take Marjhani's Spooky Arms workshop at Punk Raqs. She's going to teach some of her clubby arm flailing stuff! ^_^

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jennifer!!! I met her a few years ago at the first Gypsylicious! And then we talked a BUNCH @ Blaize's Red Tent Hafla in the Majave desert. She is a total sweetheart! She had so much good advice to give me about balancing bellydance and school. And her son is friggin adorable!

I pay almost $5 for 130 shells on Fire Mountain. It's mostly Medium and Large shells and a fair amount of Extra-Large shells (they're pretty big). I don't get too many little ones. Man... I never find shells for that cheap on Ebay. I actually had to ban myself for a while. I was blowing way more money than I should have... = P

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...