A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple Hearts Cuddly Baby Blanket  (Read 2535 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angelwing75
« on: November 17, 2004 05:32:28 AM »

Here's the latest baby blanket I've crocheted.  You can't really tell from the pics, but the little puffs make the most adorable heart shapes!  I made it as a baby shower gift and now I'm so sad that I have to give it away!!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009 03:42:50 PM by angelwing75 - Reason: Update photo links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hudelei
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004 05:47:29 AM »

That looks so cool!  And I know what you mean about sometimes hating to give the baby blankets away sometimes (despite the fact there's no baby in the house and I look pretty silly trying to curl up under one on the sofa ...).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
justwantacraft
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004 06:41:55 AM »

Beautifull! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004 08:05:14 AM »

That is so beautiful, did you just use baby yarn?  I love the ribbon. Wow! Did you make up your own pattern?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004 05:03:48 PM by coolbeans » THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxycat
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004 04:31:03 PM »

That's the prettiest baby blanket I've seen! It looks Victorian almost or kind of Shabby Chic. What is the pattern from?? Please do tell!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moondream
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004 05:28:00 PM »

That's a wonderful baby blanket! I understand how you feel about giving it away too, though I wish I knew someone having a baby so I could make them one,hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelwing75
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004 05:23:28 AM »

That is so beautiful, did you just use baby yarn?  I love the ribbon. Wow! Did you make up your own pattern?

What is the pattern from?? Please do tell!

The pattern is from one of those little pamphlet-like Leisure Arts books they sell at Ben Franklin and Wal-Mart, called "So Sweet Baby Afghans."  The pattern is called "Heartwarming Wrap."  Those booklets usually cost $2 to $3 and there are five or six patterns in them, so that's not a bad deal.

This blanket is also on the cover of the booklet (albeit with the right amount of edging - I cut mine short because I hate to do edging!):
http://www.leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=75015&search=1#

I used Caron Simply Soft yarn because it's really soft and washable and easy to work with, but I think it's a little too heavy.  My niece is due in January, so it's a good winter weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hudelei
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004 06:00:39 AM »

I've done blankets with a ribbon woven into the edges a couple of times and I always wonder exactly what I should do.  I've seen them where four pieces are woven in and sewn down in the corners, no bows.  I've seen bows tied.  I've seen bows tied and then stitched down.  I'm getting ready to finish a couple of blankets I am donating the charity (when you just can't resist the urge to make a lovely baby blanket and have no baby to give to, it's the way to go!), and I find myself at that corner point again.

So angelwing75, are you stitching the bows down?  Leaving them just tied?  Does anybody know what mommies actually want us to do at the corners?  Is stitching it down worth the trouble?  When I gave one as a gift a few months ago, I think I just tied it because I had no idea what colors this couple would want (Malaysian friends of my boyfriend's, whom I don't really know at all) and then with the washing instructions, I included a note about optional ribbon removal (the blanket was a neutral sort of color I was pretty sure they could deal with).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelwing75
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004 07:14:14 AM »

I have the same issue, hudelei.  I used four pieces of ribbon woven in, tied in knots and then in bows in the corners.  I didn't think I should stitch it in just in case the mom doesn't want the ribbon or if the ribbon starts to fray or come apart somehow.  (I personally liked mine better without the ribbon, but added it on anyway.)  I don't know how well ribbons hold up and I'm always paranoid about that kind of stuff -- I would think that if a ribbon or stitching on a ribbon came loose somehow, it could be a choking hazard, so many moms might prefer to take the ribbon off.  I don't know, though, since I don't have any children.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Difference Between High and Low Key Lighting
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Despicable Me, The Kids Are All Right, & Predators
How to Create New Sequences Quickly in Premiere Pro CS5
What Not to Do During an Acting Audition
Good Advice for Young Directors
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...