A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where can i find...  (Read 1106 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Azirel
« on: June 04, 2007 03:29:55 PM »

Wonton Wrapers? Is this something that I can get on base or would I need to go to a universe or jusco?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007 03:32:24 PM »

Wonton Wrapers? Is this something that I can get on base or would I need to go to a universe or jusco?

Yum! Wontons! Cheesy

I get them at my local Chinese supermarket.

Edited to add: I just realized that this was in the Japan section, but I'm guessing that you could get them locally.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007 03:32:57 PM by WIPs » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
iggieb3t
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007 07:20:01 PM »

Wanton wrappers are found in any of the supermarkets (Universe, Jusco, Yokomachi, Max value) - in the refrigerated shelves - meat section usually on the top shelf where you can find ground meat.  They are right alongside - springroll (はるまき or harumaki) and gyoza (餃子 or pot-stickers is what you call them, they are the round ones & comes in 2 sizes) wrappers.

You would want the siomai (シュウマイ) wrappers for wantons - they are the square ones. These are thinner than the gyoza wrappers. They have expiry dates - so you have to use them as soon as you buy them.
If you don't find them in one supermarket - you can always go to the next one.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Azirel
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007 08:15:28 PM »

helps a huge amount! I have a Pampered Chef appetizer I have been wanting to make since I started selling it(pampered chef not the appetizer lol) 3 weeks ago that calls for Wonton Wrapers to be used to make the cups. Since we just moved here I am still getting to know the lay of the land and have not yet braved a shopping trip to a japanese grocery store, just popped in them when they are attached to a mall and the kids are whiny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iggieb3t
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007 10:23:12 PM »

helps a huge amount! I have a Pampered Chef appetizer I have been wanting to make since I started selling it(pampered chef not the appetizer lol) 3 weeks ago that calls for Wonton Wrapers to be used to make the cups. Since we just moved here I am still getting to know the lay of the land and have not yet braved a shopping trip to a japanese grocery store, just popped in them when they are attached to a mall and the kids are whiny.

I don't know if FSC still does the local grocery/supermarket tour - I used to help out doing it when I volunteered - maybe you can call them and ask. It would help you become familiar with the Japanese supermarket - as well as the sales, sale days, etc...

I am not so sure whether the base supermarket stocks wanton wrappers - sometimes I think they do.

additional info:
dropped by Universe last evening (the big one - next to Homac) - they had "wantan" (Huh??wrappers = they were square and yellow in color. It is the first time I saw them - I usually use the ones for siomai (also square but white in color).

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007 06:57:51 PM by iggieb3t - Reason: additional info. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2012 Halloween Costume Looks
Tim Gunn With Marlo Thomas
5 Boots You Need in Your Closet Now
The Five Items Every Woman Should Have In Her Closet, from Tim Gunn
Tim Gunn On The Black Leather Jacket
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...